Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Just getting started

I’m gonna give Raw Foods a try. I figure I can’t fail I think I’ve tried everytihg else! I got a food processor from Freecycle today and have gotten my dehydrator out and am trying to get it cleaned up. Having a picky hubby and 2 picky boys I figured I would start out with homemade dried fruits and fruit leathers and mayabe try some recipes here that look yummy to me. Maybe I can convert them too. smile

Question? Where can I get nuts seeds to sprout? I don’t want to purchase a large amount as right now it will be me mainly eating this way. Can I use grocery store stuff? I do like alfalfa sprouts….I have a sprouter, but haven’t been able to find any seeds to sprout in it since my starter kit ran out.

Thanks Kolfinna

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

organic seeds are non-irradiated, so super markets that have a high turnover (so they aren’t rancid) are fine.

nuts are more complicated, but in my opinion less versatile anyway. you can’t buy raw almonds in stores anymore (they’re all pasteurized). you can buy raw nuts if you have a local farmer’s market. check out the dead food list on purelyraw.com

much luck to you!

remember your greens. ;)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

You can often purchase packages of unshelled nuts – and shell them yourself. I do this with walnuts, pecans, and almonds (though almonds are pasteurized). I’m glad you’re trying raw – how exciting! Sunflower seed sprouts are TASTY. totally fabulous. That’s what I recommend.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

congrats on finding raw!! Good luck with your picky boys and hubby, I have always had great success in giving picky SAD eaters raw food they love and eat all up. It can be done ;) Let us know how it goes and what you manage to feed them.

• Well, I talked to hubby and he said to go for it. He said he would eat 1 meal a day, or try anyway, that was raw. If he and I do it, the boys will too, no if, and or but about it. I’m excited to get started. I have a dehydrator full of fruit right now. Kiwi, apple and banana. We will be doing normal breakfast and supper for now, just lunches raw.

• Heh my fiance isn’t so into my diet changes, not that he opposes it he wants to be healtier and all but not completely try all that I eat. It’s great that you found raw and awesome that you are using freecycle I love those things.