Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I needs some help!!!

I’m going to try and tell you this without giving you my lifestory. :) Last Oct. I had to quit working all together because of my health. I moved back in with my parents and have been focusing on getting healthy. then I discovered the raw food concept online. So I told my mom that this may be the key to my health! She was like “ok whatever.” the big problem is that she can’t afford to feed me on a raw food only diet. there are 5 people in the family and money is tight.So..I went to see about getting state assistance with food money since we are about to have even less money when my mom cuts back on her job. they said that I have to be 22 to qualify if I’m living with parents.. I’m 21…I’m so beyond discouraged. AND angry. it seems that they would rather me be living with my bf getting knocked up all he time to get help. ( no offense to anyone who has children with a bf/gf.) I literally have NO money!Oh wait…I have $10. $10 from helping my mom with her work. I actually cried. My body is so sick and I just want to be better. I mean. It’s ramen and tuna helper around here. I need some encouragement and/or ideas.

Comments

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Tunacupcakes: It sounds like a really tough situation for your right now. Maybe you can start out small, with a daily salad. And maybe add some fruit to your diet.

I’m sure this has occurred to you, but sometimes food banks have fresh, raw food on hand.

It sounds like this whole turn of events has really stressed you out, which cannot be helping you in your healing process. Have you tried some stress reduction techniques, like meditation or yoga?

Wishing you the best in your healing path. :)

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Hey, I came up with a couple other ideas.

Sunflower seeds are pretty inexpensive, and you can start sprouting your own. Flax seeds are also very healing, and fairly inexpensive.

Also, one thing I’ve been working on is creating what I really want in my life. I came across “The Secret” a while back, and slowly but surely, things are starting to happen for me. It’s based on the Law of Attraction (everything is energy, and thoughts can influence reality). Many have used these techniques to heal themselves. It’s available on DVD, CD and in book form. Check with your local library! :)

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I know exactly how you feel. I don’t want to have to explain my entire life and living situation, but I live on less than 10$ a week(food-wise). I was completely happy living on 100% raw, but my budget cannot afford it, not to mention the local grocery store has very little produce, let alone organic.

Try to find a clean place to pick dandelions. The leaves are a tad bitter, but they are very healthy and you will learn to LOVE them. Not to mention you can mix them with what greens you can buy(makes the greens go further, and cuts the bitterness if it bothers you). You can also pick clover. The entire dandelion and clover are edible, all except the clover ROOTs have to be cooked beforehand. I would suggest window growing, or growing next to your house (if you live in one). I am about to start radish from a 10cent packet and they mature in 20-35 days after sprouting. Both they and their green tops are edible. I have some REALLY old seed for various greens I’m going to attempt to plant. ha, wish me luck on that. I blessedly, had a little money so I made an order from www.mountainroseherbs.com for several greens in powder form (alfalfa,barley grass, wheat grass, kelp powder etc.). It’s my back up for times when I won’t be able to afford greens. It’ll also be good for the traveling I have to do. As far as everything goes the greens made the biggest improvement for me overall. Make sure you get the greens in, however possible. If your city has a wooded park, I suggest dropping some seed there. I am not sure if it is legal, but if it isn’t, I think that’s crap and I suggest doing it anyway(especially since our country is for and by the people,that makes it OUR land, right?). It may get eaten by wildlife, but it’s worth a shot. I go walking in woods near here and found LOADS of wild onions. I didn’t even pick a full 1%, and they suggest you take 10% and leave the rest for next years population. I’m kind of weird I know, but you have to do what you have to do. And I have to do it. If possible, and your beliefs aren’t against it, I suggest bee pollen. It has every vitamin (or close to it), loads of enzymes, high protien…It’s just very good for you. A few tablespoons a day, some oil, and some greens. The most important things you could do for yourself. And DEFINITELY try to find a farmer’s market. It is generally MUCH cheaper, you aren’t supporting a big bussiness and you can ask about the way it is grown. Not to mention the freshness is assured. And when you do eat something, save the seeds! Plant them everywhere you go. Let food grow wild for animals and human animals to forage! Sorry I blabbered alot. But I hope it helps or gives you ideas. If nothing else, know I feel for you.

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

keep it simple. eat more greens. go for dense nutritional foods that are more bang for your buck. you’ll be nutritionally full. it might sound weird at first but its true. im there. make sure you drink enough water. farmers markets. foraging is always on sale. find foods you like pick the cheapest and make them work.

i use to be a poor college student and would pay 6 dollars for the all you can eat buffet. once a week. and load up my book bag along with my 2 room mates books bags. lets just say i was very bitter when transfer credits didn’t work out. and had to retake 6 classes. I also would go to banquets and club meetings and mini fairs on campus with veggie platters and dig in, and come bag towards the end and grab leftovers, because college kids dont eat vegetables. duh.

and once again keep it simple. nuts/ seeds can have baggage. (baggage- agave, dates, honey, yacun, rasins, cacao, goji, coconut oil, etc) it gets pricey.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

heres a link to a thread at RFT on raw on a budget =

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=225…;highlight=raw+on+a+budget ..

ide also be focused on techniques to efficiently / easily grow alot of sprouts because of their cheapness / nutritional value . im thinking like mesh bags hung on a rack to keep air flow constant and thusly wicking away moisture in order to avoid mold development so you dont have to worry about sprout care constantly .

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i send you so much compassion to steer you out of this. i am with achin70—thoughts are very important. visualize yourself getting out of this. it doesn’t matter how, life will take care of that for you. it’s hard to have faith when you are on this end of it, but you will be amazed at what YOU CHANGED by attracting what you wanted into your life… really, it’s just flowing on the waves of life.

focus on watching uplifting comedies, reading uplifting novels (if you want suggestions, i LOVE to read.. and libraries are a valuable asset), being around natural growth (tress, flowers… this is the time of year!), getting fresh air. the most cleansing thing you can do is “oxygen therapy.” and that’s free. learning how to breathe deeply, exercise and expand your lungs. it feeds every cell and releases all the staleness.

stay hydrated. tap water is better than soda. don’t feel badly about doing the best you can.

stay away from the news!

=)

• Oh thank you everyone. I was so discouraged and so….bummed. I had no idea of what to do and you have all given me some things to consider..which is more than I had before. Unfortunately, growing or sprouting anything right now is not an option. My family is remodeling the house extensively…I have no place that is clean or light or suitable for growing anything. I don’t even have a bed room right now. there also is really no place to forage either…..I’m thinking in case I’m missing a spot I will keep that option open….I wouldn’t trust anything not to be sprayed with some chemicals. here. the closet thing I can think of is a bird sanctuary a little bit from here….but it’s right next to the sewage plant. I’ll try my options and see what I can do. thank you!

• there is always room to sprout ;) even in a rucksack on a train, hehe!

some organics are cheaper than others and some non organics are better than others.. carrots are pretty good both ways and here are cheap and filling

i am needing and trying to think of ways of cutting corners too… where abouts do you lives? i know that if you look hard, sometimes you can find amazing surprises, like allotments that allow you to help out and do some “weeding” ie eating yummy wildness..(just an idea if its possible)

lots of loving gentle pushes into the right flow of things X

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I had a few ideas but you may have already thought of it and not be able to do it for certain reasons.

First, can you get social security? A health problem that is severe enough for you to not be able to work should qualify. although it can be a process to apply.

Second, if you could work a few hours in a coop or veggie farm they might be willing to do barter with you. i have done this when I was working my way through college. Maybe even babysit or do light housework for someone for a few hours to get a bit of cash. Having a disability myself and fibromyalgia but working for basically for insurance I know there are days I cannot do much. But having some flexibility at my job helps.

Ok, so onto the food. The people here gave great suggestions but one thing about edibles is that you need to be SURE that it is truly edible before you eat it. be careful.

Some grocery stores throw away perfectly good food. ask or dumpster dive for it. Or know someone who works there to hook you up. Good luck…I feel for you.