Hungry all the time?

KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Ok, every now and then (like today) I am hungry ALL DAY! Like today, I’ve had half a banana with a few tbsp peanut butter and some raisins, half an orange, a handful of pistachios, some dried figs, and a piece of bread (I’m not totally raw), all by 10am. I just finished eating the pistachios at about 9, and by 9:45 I feel like I haven’t eaten anything! I have snacks with me (I’m at work), like an apple & p.b., granola bar, and some fruit/yoghurt with granola, but usually I try to space them out over the day so I don’t eat them all before lunch (believe me I would today!) I don’t know if this is normal and I should just listen to my body and feed it or if I should do what I’ve been doing and wait at least 1.5 hrs in between snacks. Do you think I’m just not eating enough at each meal (fairly new to this way of eating)? Thanks for any ideas/advice.

Comments

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Oh, I should mention (shamefully, I admit) that I have had a cup of coffee today. :( Unfortunately I think coffee is my ultimate downfall – although I’ve been trying to limit my coffee to just a 2-3 days (or less) a week, and instead I do green tea/herbal teas (alot of caffeine free teas, too). I just realized the coffee could be having an effect on my hunger as I was sipping on it so I’d though I’d add that in here. Thanks again!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi Khaas, Maybe you need to up your intake of raw food?

From your list I can see that the following ingredients you eat are raw: orange, banana, apple, and maybe the raisins – check the label to see if they have any added oil or glazing agent.

The other items you list are not raw. Dried figs are blanched before drying at high temperatures, shelled pistachios are boiled or steamed to remove the shells, peanut butter is not raw.

Because you are eating mainly cooked food you are not getting enough nutrients from it. When you increase your intake of raw foods, because you are eating more nourishing food, your body needs less and you are satisfied with less.

Check out the recipes on this site. Try adding a green smoothie to your daily food. A good recipe is simple home juiced orange juice (shop bought is not raw) with a big handful of spinach blended till smooth. Add a table spoon of raw oil to help make it more filling.

Try having a big green salad with avocados. Avocado will fill you up. A good recipe is: 1/2 bag of kale, 3-4 tomatoes, 1 avocado, 1/2 teasp cayenne, 1/2 teasp salt, drizzle of raw olive oil. Massage ingredients together and devour!

Adding more fresh food to your daily diet will help you to transition. I really stuffed myself silly when I was transtioning I highly recommend it!!

I have a list of foods which you’d think were raw but are not to on my website: http://purelyraw.com/deadfoodlist.htm

OMG I did NOT know that figs are blanched – or about the pistachios or Peanut butter!!! Sad… what about almond butter? I’ve seen that used a lot here and I really like it, should I use it instead? I know my raisins are just raisins – I’ve checked that out. My lunch does consist of a nice green salad with some nuts, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, and other stuff depending on my mood (avocado, etc). Also, I’m planning on starting my day off with a green smoothie starting tomorrow (now that I found out they will keep in the fridge overnight… I couldn’t before ‘cause I’d wake up my family). Also, I will definitely check out your website – thanks for the info!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

until i gave up coffee, i didnt realize how bad it made me feel. it actually made me really tired in the afternoon! it didnt seem to do much in terms of my appetite.

one thing to remember – you can eat LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of greens/veggies/fruit when you’re raw. instead of having so much nuts/nut butter/granola/bread (which have high calories with little bulk) try eating TONS more bulk with very very few extras. aka, eat 5 apples or green smoothie for breakfast. eat 1/2 a watermelon for lunch. then 2 hours later, eat celery piled with raisins and just a tiny bit of nut butter. have lots of FIBER filled foods – all the fiber will fill you up. but yeah, i’m 99% raw, and I HAVE to eat every 3 hours usually. green smoothie breakfast, celery logs for snack (or 2 cups fruit), flax cracker with pate and veggies/lettuce for lunch (or 4 pieces fruit, or 4 cups fruit) snack at 4 (fruit or 3 carrots), dinner: heavy pate on 3-5 cups salad salad, 2 cups almond milk w/ banana, larabar, 2 c. veggies with dip.

• Zoe, that’s a wonderful list you have put together. I had no idea many of those items were not raw, even when labeled as such. Incredible.

Khaas, I know how you feel! I’m ravenous, too. I’m eating raw (I don’t think I’ve had any of the things on the deadfoods list, but not entirely sure I remember – ha!). I start the day with a huge – and I mean HUGE - green smoothie. I usually add grapefruit, flax seeds, and spinach, a little water. It’s really yummy and filling. For snack today I had an apple and a small handful of raw sunflower seeds. Lunch will be a huge – HUGE! – salad with all kinds of veggies. I keep fruit in my backpack for me to eat here at school (I teach). I guess I am just going to keep on eating as much as I feel like eating while my body continues to adjust. I can feel a big difference in my health and life already, just in under a week.

Good luck!

Winona – yeah, yay for bulk! Fiber is my friend : )

Thanks for all the advice guys, this should help me alot. For a while I was a little nervous about going more than about 50% raw (that’s prolly about what I’m at now – minus my breads/coffee issue lol), but since I’ve been poking around all the forums on here I’m finding it won’t be that difficult if I just eat more. I think my thing is I’m so scared after being on a HORRIBLY SAD diet for 17 years I don’t want to eat too much – but I guess if you’re eating healthy and listening to your body for what it needs you probably can’t eat too much! Anyone else with advice – it’s greatly appreciated! Thanks guys. :D

so true, littlebirdie – fiber is where it’s AT. don’t know how i’d live without it. zoe – thanks for all the info. you’re a great resource! quick question – why aren’t peanuts raw? i bought peanut butter in bulk at my coop the other day, ingredients – organic raw peanuts.

Oh yeah, hey that’s another thing. I only eat organic peanut butter that is freshly ground in front of me – non of that cr*p with hydrogenated whatchamacallit. Is it still un-raw? lol

Green smoothies helped to curb my hunger. even when i wasn’t hungry first thing in the morning, i had a green smoothie. Before i started this habit, i used to go without breakfast, then i’d need to gorge on food by 10 or 11. and at night i was eating ALL the time. now, i eat regularly, and it’s all reasonable amounts. the green smoothie helped a lot! good stuff. also – when you’re really hungry, always START with the fresh foods – once you’ve had your fill of fruits/veg/greens, then you can eat a couple nuts at the end (or pureed with herbs as a dip or on the veg/greens) that way, the bulk of what you eat is fresh – that’s very important for me, anyways. aka if i eat something dehydrated, i must eat it with tons of fresh stuff – i feel gross otherwise, it’s hard to explain. same with nuts, dried fruits, etc. gonefresh.com !! : )

*Hey, just thought I’d update real quick. After a piece bread with my raw salad at lunch yesterday, I’ve been 100% raw and am planning to be that way at least all day today. I unfortunately skipped dinner last night because of a tornado/hail storm that came over our house for a coupla hours, but I snacked on some ants-on-logs and an orange before bed (wasn’t too hungry after the storm).

This morning I started with a …drumroll… green smoothie! My first one ever, and omg it was SO good! What have I been missing out on?! Anyway, after my smoothie I had two pecans and I’ve been good all morning so far, but I brought all raw snacks and lunch with me today – and lots of greens today, too!

We’ll see how it goes, but I think it’ll be great because I’ve not had this much energy in FOREVER (think it was the green smoothie maybe? it’s just cool how awake I am today!).

Anyway, thanks guys for all your advice!

good to hear!! some green smoothies give me more energy than others. but they always help curb my HUGE food cravings… so then i have more normal lunches (today: green smoothie. lunch: avocado, tomato, 3 kiwi, larabar, 2 cups lettuce with cucumber slices and tahini dressing and 3 kalamata olives. dinner: raw buckwheat pizza with veggies on top.)