what does "raw blanched" mean?

rawjazzrawjazz Raw Newbie

I have been trying to find raw peanuts. It’s harder than I thought it would be. What does “raw blanched” mean? Doesn’t blanched mean they are boiled, but it says raw so I am confused. Is there a way to tell if nuts are raw just by looking at them? Help! Does anyone order raw nuts online?

Comments

• blanching for peanuts is the removal of the skin. it could mean that the brown skin was removed without using heat, or using chemicals, or it could mean that it was blanched but not roasted. there’s no real labeling restrictions on raw food.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Blanching is definitely not raw. Blanching is generally practiced to kill enzymes. It involves a quick immersion in boiling water. I suppose it is possible to blanch just long enough to remove the skins without doing damage but I would be skeptical that the timing is that well controlled on a commercial level. Since peanuts are not actually a nut but a legume, I use them very little.

• QTLaylaQTLayla Raw Newbie

Hi All Actually, I found a recipe that called for raw blanched almonds and it explained that after you soak them for sprouting, the peel easily comes off. I did about a 1/3 cup of them the last time I sprouted some almonds.

I then used the “blanched almonds” for nut milk… alas no brown flecks! :) Not that the flecks are bad… but I was thinking it might be nice to use these in a creamy dessert that I might want to look more “creamy”.

Hope this helps! QT