Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What not to eat...

What vegetables shouldn’t be eaten raw? Can someone give me a list? Thanksss.

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i am curious too. i do not think artichokes can be but can’t think of anything else right now.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

well, this is a matter of opinion.

some are of the “all if it’s raw” camp, some are in the “only certain acceptable” camp.

for me, i’ll eat any vegetable raw except potatoes (supposedly they have a toxin in them that gets killed when cooked… mostly, i just think they are yucky). i LOVE LOVE mandolined artichokes marinaded in lemon juice and olive oil… very euro ;)

perhaps you could list which ones you are concerned about and people could tell you what they know about them.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

potatoes, specifically yams and white potatoes. I’ve eaten sweet potatoes raw. by the way: if you’re in the US, be aware that US folks often call sweet potatoes yams. Actually, yams are totally different, and are generally sold in Africa (not in the US). grocery stores generally say “yams aka sweet potatoes” and those are fine to eat raw.

taro root causes itching.

• I’ve got to second the potatoes and especially the taro. Never eat taro raw as it is toxic. That includes the root, leaves and entire plant. It will burn!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

pianissima, could you explain what parts of the articdhoke you mandoline??? I remember eating the bottom meaty part of each leaf when I was a child… They were marinaded in a jar from the grocery… I have seen some people on cooking shows throw everything away and scoop out something from the middle, not using the leaves… Would love YOUR recipe!!!

generally we use baby artichokes (the purple ones) and just clip the tips of the leaves off.

i’m not sure about the larger ones, but i would imagine you could just clip a little bit more off of the leaves (say 1/2).

once you’ve done that, you just use a mandoline on its thinnest setting to make paper thin artichoke slices. then you coat it with lemon juice, raw olive oil, sea salt and pepper. traditionally they use shavings of parmesan, so if you make rawmesan you could do that too. it’s delicious either way. let it sit for a moment and serve. this same recipe can be done with fennel and you can omit the olive oil or keep it in. these are my favorite recipes! so simple and delicious. =)

oh- you know, i just remembered something about the big artichokes. they have HAIR. i’ll have to experiment before i say what to do. when we would eat them cooked you would take off all the leaves (the bottom part of each leaf would be edible) and then scoop out the “hair.” i’d have to see how this works raw. one moment please… ;) i’ll get back to you once i’ve bought an artichoke!

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I’ve eaten raw potatoes for years without incident. I always peel them, including any green parts, cut them up and salt them. This isn’t an original thing for me, it’s been done in my family long before I came along, lol. Nobody dead yet!

• Yeah, I was specifically curious about potatoes. I don’t find eating them raw palatable but I have been craving one. I did hear about the toxins they contain, too. What about brussel sprouts, squash and butternut squash? Thanks for all the information!

winter squash is DELICIOUS juiced with other veggies or chopped up in the food processor as “rice”, or spiralized as “pasta.” like brussel sprouts, these are obviously harder to digest than say a soft fruit like a tomato, but i believe in variety.

there are people on this site with really great scientific backgrounds though… i’d like to hear what they think.

kevin7197—my mom LOVES raw potato. yeah, she grew up in idaho… =)

• I would avoid the really hard veggies like root vegetables, except for carrots. Green bell peppers aren’t ripe. Other than that eat whatever you like!! :-)

Blessings

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I don’t eat nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, but I do occasionally eat ripe bell peppers and jalepenos). No corn or legumes (jicama is in this category). Raw broccoli doesn’t digest well for me, but it’s better blended. I rarely eat other cruciferous vegetables either, for the same reason. I don’t eat many root vegetables, onions, carrots and beets are exceptions. You couldn’t pay me to eat a sweet potato! I don’t eat grains. I eat buckwheat, but it’s actually not a grass seed, it’s a fruit. Some foods are optimal and others are best if eaten occasionally or not at all.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I eat all the things 123 doesn’t eat – except for potatoes. I’ve had no problem digesting root veggies (incl jicama, sweet potato, butternut squash, eggplant, broccoli, etc.