Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Alcohol and Raw Foods

2»

Comments

• yes joyce I love that picture.. It say’s look mommy can we take him home PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE.

LOL

• I just turned 21 last month (it was amazing to be able to be at a bar and legally have a drink or several;) with my friends But I think just as with anything else we should definitly practice moderation. Joyce- my mother’s friend went to Italy once also and she said she didn’t get any hangovers either and she also attributed it to the sulfur free wine!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I love all the different thoughts here. This isn’t an issue for me anymore, because I’ve been in recovery for the last 4-1/2 years. I’m an alcoholic. For me, having that one first drink just opens the window to let my brain fly out and I will drink until I can’t anymore. Either because I’m passed out, sick, whatever. I have moments when I regret not getting sober sooner in my life (I was 33 when I hit bottom), but for the most part I try to celebrate my life “in the now,” and not beat myself up over things I can’t change. That phase of my life is part of the journey that got me where I am today… and where I am today is amazing. So I really liked what everyone had to say about positive energy and not beating ourselves up about our choices… and good for you, pianissima, for knowing what was right for you and allowing yourself to get there. And Malena… your post made me remember that constant state of panic I lived in towards the end of my drinking career. Just nonstop anxiety over everything. If I ever have a fleeting craving for a drink (and I do, probably always will) I just have to remember that feeling. Goes right away. ;o)

Love to all, Jen

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

good for you jenergy. i have had times where i have wondered if i was alcoholic. my grandmother had a big drinking problem and my mom and sister have been struggling recently. i tried so hard to quit before i was raw but it was just too hard. after i went raw it was easier. i have had 2 glasses of wine since being raw but i was able to stop. but i don’t have it at home anymore and don’t “need” it like i used it. it’s a terrible thing to be addicted to. but i couldn’t have detoxed off it without being raw. it has made me stronger.

• so all wine is raw? really?

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Sarma (from Raw Food Real World) states that wine is raw because it is not heated above 115 degrees… i’m not sure if this is accurate, but i’m content with thinking so :) Apparently Sake is the same…

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Yes wine is never heated, nor cider or champagne either. It is just fermented grape juice. And cider is just fermented apples or pears. But like others say it isn’t usually vegan and has all kinds of crap in it unless it is organic and vegetarian.

It makes me feel low so I never have some, well if champagne is going around I’ll usually have some of that, only to regret it after ;)

• http://www.realage.com/DiseasePreventionCenter/... I don’t know if I did this link correctly or not but this is from realage.com. I found it very interesting because we all know that alcohol kills the liver but what about the rest of the body? I’m not preaching at all here because I love beer!!! I am trying not to drink at all because I cannot have just one. Reading all these posts is helpful. I guess everyone is different. When I don’t drink I feel much better. It is just a difficult transition to get back to that place. I’m on day 3 now and doing good. I wanted a beer earlier but opted for a smoothie instead and now feel better for it.

I’ve made my own kombucha before…only once and it was pretty good. Does anyone know how long homemade kombucha can sit in a fridge before going bad? Cool.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

After my experience at Bonefish—I may never drink again! About 1x/month I enjoy a Ciroc vodka cosmopolitan. Ordered one Sat., and it tasted like cleaning fluid! Everyone agreed something really horrible was in there. Bartender made another according to how I would make it and still—POISON. After checking for rancid lime juice, etc. we realized it was the vodka! I’ve come to learn there are conterfeit bottles out there that are contaminated with all sorts of crap, including METHANOL!!!!! I had about 6-7 sips and experienced a 12 hour delay in symptoms—stomach pain, throat burning and nausea. If i drank that drink i think I’d be dead. Listen to your nose whenever you are out. That goes for “food” as well. Gross salad there too!

• namazake is unpasteurized sake. I believe it’s raw, but haven’t done much research.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

RawrAdisourous-I’d just set some guidelines and make the others in your house hold you accountable. You’ll feel better and they’ll feel guilty and hopefully also slow down a bit.

I enjoy wine and cocktails but haven’t indulged much since I went raw because for some reason I crave alcohol when I’m eating salty snacky junk food. Likewise I crave salty snacky junk food when I”m drinking. Raw food doesn’t usually attract alcohol as far as my body is concerned. However, omnithought, I definitely wouldn’t give up a friends and good times every once in awhile to avoid a delicious beer.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Jeeze Izhpt – that sounds like a very scary experience.
    And people have died (& do die, sadly) from alcohol poisoning. Yikes!
    PS: I’m glad you are OK!! :)

• Bananna1333Bananna1333 Raw Newbie

ardesmonde2 – when you tested the pH of your urine that first morning after drinking a lot, how dark was it? I ask because alcohol makes you drunk via dehydration. I learned that in nursing school, so I figure it’s fairly legit. That’s the first thing they’ll do, is hook you up to an IV that’ll cure you of dehydration (the right electorlytes and all that). I’m thinking you were seriously dehydrated from the drinking, which caused your urine to be extra concentrated, therefore extra acidic? Just an hypothesis…

Side note! I once went 11 years without drinking because I was either pregnant or breastfeeding….or just so out of the habit, when there was those small windows of opportunity….uh, where is the liquor store anyway?

I finally broke my record last December, just because it was getting ridiculous. I think people are just embarrassed to have child-like fun as adults, so they drink so they have an excuse. But really, you know you want to do popawheelies, cartwheels and have laughing attacks. Or maybe you liked it when you used to turn around so many times in a row and stumble around all hammered….

lol….no comment on the drinking or not drinking…that’s a choice you make I guess. I could take it or leave it, and it’s never around. And I HATE hangovers….especially with 6 kids. ....and they would probably hate a hung over mother too.

....there was a time way back when though, that I thought I could seriously cross that line into alchoholism too. SO glad reproduction got in the way.

ClaireT
  • sunnyenergysunnyenergy Raw Newbie

wine and raw food...i was 3 rd day into my raw food diet (its still cooked food on sunday for me ).. and had wine - 2 glasses and a bit of baileys irish cream . i passed out for about 10 minutes ...scary...alcohol will hit hard and in a negative way if on the raw food diet.:)

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I'll have a glass of wine now and then. I tend to avoid the rest.