Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sprouts: a super-risk!!

anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

Well, does anybody know why is there so much “information” on the risk that could be eating raw sprouts? I think that as raw foodist people here will eat sprouts (I do), has anybody got a problem with it? (I don’t) It surprise me a lot… I think that sprouts are one of the cheapest and healthiest thing we can eat…

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I personally eat a lot of sprouts, but bean sprouts are definitely toxic FOR ME. They send me running to the bathroom. They have that effect on many people. I really don’t buy it about other types of sprouts however. Happy sprouting!!

• Does eating meat carry any less “risks”?

• I think that is if you buy it from the store. In some places they use bad growing techniques like using people waste for fertilizing, etc. They are probably best if you grow them at home using distilled water

• i buy all kinds of sprouts at the farmer’s market. the guy who grows and sells them is a super-cool aging hippy dude who is really passionate about living foods. he’s awesome! I trust him to grow them in a healthy way. I have had no problems with sprouts. I eat sprouted mung beans, peas, black eyes peas, peanuts, lentils, etc.

I also sprout my own oats and wheat berries.

• i buy all kinds of sprouts at the farmer’s market. the guy who grows and sells them is a super-cool aging hippy dude who is really passionate about living foods. he’s awesome! I trust him to grow them in a healthy way. I have had no problems with sprouts. I eat sprouted mung beans, peas, black eyes peas, peanuts, lentils, etc.

I also sprout my own oats and wheat berries.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

if you buy organic sprouts, or sprout organic seeds/beans – they’re very safe. the company that produces them matters too – my local sprout companies are very trustworthy. the whole ‘food poisoning’ issue was completely blown out of proportion. almost NOONE gets sick from eating sprouts – it’s just a big new scare that got out of control.

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

I think that there have been some gratuitous alarmism, I suppose that someone had an intoxication one day and now the net is full of those “risk messagges”. I usually make my own sprouts at home from organic seeds.

Carmentina: I have read that big beans (not mung beans) are toxic. I usually eat mung beans and garbazos with no problem.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

There’s nothing like good old fashioned research! When I see or hear a sentence that starts with “I heard”, ” I think I read somewhere” or something to that effect I know it’s time to do my homework. All too often information via the grapevine reminds me of that old game we played as kids, the telephone game. One person started by whispering something into the ear of the person next to them, who then turned to the next person and repeated what was whispered and so on. By the end of the line it was amazing how twisted and inaccurate the original statement had become!

Research, reseach, research! Ok, I’ll step down off my soapbox now, lol.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

store -bought sprouts are usually moldy even if you don’t know it. I am very sensitive to mold and so is my mother there is alot of the time mold in the sprout.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I’m an avid sprout eater. I’ve never had any problems. I mostly sprout my own, but sometimes I buy them. When I buy them, I look at them carefully and rinse them. I don’t think there’s a big risk. If anyone would have had problems, it’s me because I eat so many. No problems, ever.

• grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

All the hooplah was caused by some cases of samonella that occured due to contaminated seeds. Steve Myerowitz “the Sproutman” has more information on this. According to him the number of cases compared to the number of sprouts consumed is much less than samonella incidents from meat and other food.