Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How to Change the World!

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

I have just had a complete lightbulb moment in which I came to the realization that my diet affects more than I think it does.

Here I am, a college student, preparing raw healthy pastes and carrying them with me to the cafeteria to get green peppers, in which I will stuff with the paste, and taking all the ingredients outside on my own china (to not waste paper plates) and enjoying a small picnic I created of the peppers, some carrot sticks and homemade hummus with salad, and peacefully eating in the sunshine on the grass, sipping water, whilst my friends stuff themselves silly with pizzas, cakes, pasta, fries, and hamburgers.

Here I am, minding my own business, loving raw food, feeling satisfied, not feeling like an outsider to the group, just a part of it, with different choices that do not influence anyone but myself…NOT!

HOLY COW, PEOPLE! I just realized that I have a tremendous influence on others around me because I am a raw vegan! I really never thought about the fact that people actually SEE what I eat and see its simplicity and beauty and healthiness and feel bad about what they are eating! Just having me in their presence makes them feel GUILTY about what they have on their plate, and may actually influence them to choose healthier options when eating with me. I’m serious! I realized my friends have been eating more and more salads at each meal and less and less junk food!!!

I also recall going home with one of my friends for the break and the family was your average American household that dumps cheese on everything from bacon to broccoli, eats oreo pies after each meal, chicken and potatoes are always on their plates, and when things aren’t fried, they are frozen and microwaved. So, I thought: Okay, I’ll mind my own business, I’m not going to try to convert anyone, I will just let them eat what they want while I prepare my meals on the side. Every day, while the mother cooked their food, I would gather my own fresh ingredients and make zucchini pasta or lasagna, avocado sprout salads, and scrumptious fruit pies. I did not think that they cared or even paid attention to what I was doing, but I was wrong! I noticed the mother began saying things to me before each meal, like, “We’re going to have our good old greasy fried chicken,” or comments like, “This is what we eat, these sugary, processed pies.” I thought it was strange of her to tell me these things, then I realized she felt guilty. She was trying to justify her family’s eating habits…trying to convince me that she knew what they were eating was unhealthy, and trying to not feel so bad about it by bringing it out in the open. And call me crazy, but after my stay, my friend told me that a contest had begun within the family to see who could lose the most weight and I think it was because of me.

You see? We have an immense impact on those around us! If you preach-STOP! Actions really do speak louder than words. All we have to do is simply continue our happiness, our healthiness, our connection with our food, and do so out in the open, where others can see us…see our lovely creations and recipes, and how great our lives are. This is the greatest way to change the world, and you have the power!!

Comments

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Thank you rawsiki for your beautiful words. I agree with you one hundred percent. I had actually never had the desire to preach raw for months because I felt so unsure about it and my ability to do it myself. I think the lack of preaching helped because my husband decided he wanted to try a month raw, then went vegetarian. I’ve noticed he started having smoothies for dinner. As far as the rest of my family and friends, well we’ll see. But I believe serving as an example is truly the only way to change others

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I so agree Rawsiki…I have had the most powerful impact on those that just observed me, not the ones that I have tried to talk to. People see me, and my healthy glow, and healthy attitude (especially being pregnant), and they are inspired, and curious….I remember that feeling myself the first time I met a “raw person”!

• That is SO TRUE Rawsiki!! I am so (more than) content in my meals and in my lifestyle…people see that when I bring my meals as well. They always have questions, and they begin to become more aware of themselves! I think it’s an amazing thing. And where last year I felt like maybe this world was going to some place bad, and still might be, with hidden government motives of trying to kill our fresh food…I think that this whole raw life is going to TAKE OVER. It HAS to! I’m very excited about it, and it definitely starts with “you and me”!!!!

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

Its the same way with feminists. If they would stop roaring I might be able to hear what they were saying.

SHAVE DAMNIT

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Brilliant to hear about your life rawski. My husband always found that the people he works with end up buying healthier lunches because of his silent influence. Can’t ignore the truth!

• Rawsiki, your words have rejuvenated me! It can be a struggle to deal with everyone’s questions and criticism. In my heart I know that everything you said is the truth- it just feels so good to hear it. For each negetive comment there is a multitude of positive influence and you have to focus on all of the positive change you have created around you.

We are all partaking in a beautiful life.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Ditto. I’ve said it often on this site, attraction rather than promotion works very well for me!

• You’re words are most excellent. Yeah, the first “raw” thing I really started doing was making green smoothies. When I started making them regularly my dad would see me drinking them all the time and he decided to join in on my daily green smoothies too. I think its great since he has diabetes and when he’s in America he has a hard time controlling it since his eating habits here are kinda… well, really boo. BUT EITHER WAY, Thank you for your inspiration =]

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

thanks. yeah when i first became vegan i was a preacher. but i have learned that it takes time. i convinced by brother to be a vegetarian by leaving a “why vegan” in his room one day. he got it.

my husband has his first green smoothie this morning! he’s vegan but not raw…yet. :-)

and everyone at work is curious about my meals lately. like, “what is in that salad? wow, that is so interesting!” I feel like i have to make a good meal to impress them!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I forgot! Thanks for reminding me of the beauty and simplicity of just living my life the way I want. Wow – you have no idea how much I needed that today :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I forgot! Thanks for reminding me of the beauty and simplicity of just living my life the way I want. Wow – you have no idea how much I needed that today :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

rawsiki—it’s so funny you posted this because i’ve recently discovered that a whole bunch of people have been influenced by the way i eat, and like you, i didn’t even try. my mom’s friend gave up all caffeine and dairy and is eating a lot more raw because of a conversation i was having WITH SOMEONE ELSE last summer! my parents are both juicing every morning… this is HUGE for my dad! he can’t stop raving about how much he enjoys them and how much they “clean him out.”

i think the other part of leading through action is that you become “virtuosic” and inspire other people to me better. the bar lifts.

• Rawsiki-You are awsome for sharing this! Thanks! I love how you write. I can so relate as to affecting others positively! The changes they have made because of me are making thier lives better! Right now I am dealing with slip ups, though. I see how those are affecting people around me negatively. That is not good, as I love those around me and feel like I am letting them down when I let my self down!!!

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

a good reminder, for sure :)