Does weight loss stop after body adjusts?

I’m really concerned that I’m loosing too much weight. I’m 5”3” and 100lbs. Started out at about 107 before raw. I don’t want to loose anymore. Would like to gain. I eat lots of nuts, probably too many and avocado just about everyday. Fats and oils just don’t seem to make my body gain weight. The only thing that kept weight on me with SAD was breads, junk food deserts, chips etc. and other high carb bad foods. I’m about 75 – 80% raw. Does the body adjust as time goes on being raw? Do you think I’ll be able to gain the weight back being raw? I so hate getting comments from people about being too thin and then having them attack my diet choices. Are there any other long term raw thin people out there that have dealt with this issue.

Comments

• Hi Limelady, yes, I have dealt with this too. I am 5’5 1/2” and between 100-102. I actually had a therapist refuse to see me because of my “eating disorder” (just as well, doing fine without her!). Before I went raw, I cut out bread and wheat products from my diet and went from 110 to 104 pounds in a few months. Since I’ve been raw, I’ve never dropped below 100 lbs. I also don’t get too affected by nuts and oils, but don’t abuse them either. I actually feel great. How do you feel? Do you have energy? Are your skin and elimination good? Is your bloodwork o.k? Recently, Chris Carlton brought up a great point that what we are all still referring to as “normal” weight is based on those on a SAD diet. I think those who are Raw and not eating disordered need to trust that their body will ultimately get to the weight that is actually appropriate for them. If you are concerned that you are not getting all the nutrients you need, it may be a great idea to go to a wholistic physician and nutritionist. If you do need to put on weight, the nutritionist should definitely be able to help with that. Best of luck!

• Thanks Mon46. Reading your reply makes me feel a little better. I really do think I am just meant to be thin. I feel just fine as far as energy level and health. People have commented that I look a little pale and yellow but I know that’s just from detoxing and it will pass. I started increasing raw and gave up dairy, bread and other carbs and meat, which was just occasional chicken and fish in Dec 07. Of course I’ve had a few slip ups due to cravings for bread but I’ve pretty much stayed at about 75% raw since then. I had some blood tests back in Nov or Dec and complete blood count results were a little off with low red and white blood cell count and a few other abnormalities. My doctor had the test repeated 3 more times. Just prior to the 4th test I made a concentrated effort to drink as many green smoothies as I could which was about a quart a day, that included some green super foods, spirulina and maca. The 4th test results were all within the so called normal range. I really think it helped but I certainly would never mention it to the doctor. I’m sure he would just poo poo it.

• Very interesting about the green smoothies—you actually have objective data that shows how good they are. I would just say pay attention to how you feel more than anything, with the yearly check-ups as a precaution. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.