Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Local Farmer's Market Opening

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Our local farmer’s market opened for the season yesterday and it’s bigger now than last year—woo-hoo! The lettuces are amazing. Not much else organic just yet, but I’m excited for it to come.

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’m thrilled you posted about this! I’ve been bubbling over with excitement about our farmers market. It’s in an idyllic setting by the water, with a festival atmosphere. Dogs, kids, and relaxed adults mingle and gnosh on local goodies. Random folks sing and play guitar. Teens and 20 somethings offer delicious homemade jams, greens, roots, and honey. Carefully handcrafted items are available from the adult ladies at the fair. This week, I settled down in the grass by the lake and chomped on some purple radishes. They tasted fantastic! It’s amazing what organic soil and love can do for these precious little veggies!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Has anyone tried asking their farmer’s market farmers for edible weeds? I saw this in Valerie’s book and wanted to try it.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I’ll ask about some. The only neative is nothing of course is certified organic. You have to take their word. Most is grown without additional chemical. That’s kind of how I grow. I may buy a conventional plant but I put it is a pot of organic soil and my own raw compost. My tomatoes grew over a foot in a week!!!!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

wow izhpt, those are some great tomatoes – i wonder how they’ll taste.

sorry that your farmer’s market isn’t certified. my market is all organic produce. it’s pricey – i dropped $42 on saturday for 4lbs honey ($14), 2 bunches radishes, 1 pound lettuce, 1 bunch green onions, 1bunch chives.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Farmers markets are amazing. Our farmers market just opened up 3 weeks ago and I have been so amazed by the delicious local food (many of it happily organic)! I just wish there was something like this open every day, as I’m not the best plan ahead person.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Where i live the farmers markets is open year around but unfortunately only on Sundays and only for 4 hours so it is pretty packed. They really need to space it out more because it gets more like a flea market because of too many people. Apparently it is the best farmers market in the Bay area so I guess we are lucky to be so close to it – it really isn’t that big though but there is alot of organic produce. We are close enough to walk to it or bike. We also bought some raw unpasteurized almonds yesterday! :)

Unfortunatley, this farmers market doesn’t have any of the nicities that Winonas has – I wish it did. One guy playing guitar yesterday and not really any clothing type vendors. Yes, people selling spreads, breads and organic meat but nothing else but that.