Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw chocolate smoothies - are they bad?

I have been struggling so bad the past several months with eating raw that I started letting my raw food go to waste that I would buy every week and would binge on other foods (Subway mainly and their cookies, ice cream also!) and I have gained all but 15 lbs out of the 50 I lost last year on raw :( Yesterday I was reading thru the recipes here and came across a chocolate smoothie recipe and I tried it for lunch yesterday. I used 2 frozen bananas, 1tbs raw cocoa, 1tbs coconut butter, a squeeze of agave, and a few drops of vanilla extract – oh and a cup or two of water. OMG! I think this will keep me on track if I can have 1 a day….I was FINE yesterday and didn’t even think of cheating. So if I drink one a day would that be bad? I just don’t want it to hinder any weight loss.

I told myself if I stay raw ALL day then I can have one if I want after dinner.

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey Rawkincake – you’re likely to get a mix of opinions on raw cacao on this site, but I for one am a fan. My husband and I have a cacao smoothie almost every morning. Personally I don’t see any major concerns with what you’re making as far as weight loss goes, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil seems reasonable. I would have a problem with 2 bananas because they’re fairly high on the glycemic scale and make me even hungrier later so I end up eating more. I stick with agave and any kind of frozen berries. You could also try substituting a fat that’s high in fiber for the coconut oil, like chia seeds or flax seeds to keep you filled up and give you lots of omega 3’s. You can also throw in greens for calcium, fiber and antioxidants. You could add spinach, kale or swiss chard – my husband hasn’t even noticed!

• i have them for breakfast… and lose weight. i think you’ll still lose weight, but it depends on the person.

• so today’s breakfast (for 2) included:

2 bananas 1 cup or so frozen strawberries (was all i had, would usually use more) 1 cup ice cubes 1/4 cup mesquite 1/4 cup maca/quinoa/kiwicha blend (they were out of the straight maca) 1/4 cup hemp protein (i usually use raw power, vanilla flavor) 1/4 cup hemp seeds 1 cup hazelnut milk 1/2 cup water couple squirts maple syrup (was out of agave & raw honey)

those are my estimated measurements, i never measure…

i sometimes will add some spirulina and/or spinach, but i don’t really like to, and i eat lots of greens later in the day, so often i skip them.

• I currently drink a green smoothie every morning – 1 banana, berries, water and as much spinach as I can cram in there, That is the ONE thing that I have made sure to keep doing no matter what else I ate during the day. Lunch I am going to try to have 2 of – apples, oranges, pears, or grapefruit (or whatever other fruit looks good at the store), for dinner I am going to eat a veggie plate of some sort – example – kale or brocolli salad, Then after that for my “treat” the chocolate smoothie :)

• i need way more food at lunch than 2 pieces of fruit. i would eat those between meals of salads or veggie noodles or other raw entrees.

• Ack I forgot to add I eat an avocado with lunch as well….yeah two pieces of fruit dont do it for me either!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

not only do i think you should make yourself a dessert smoothie everyday, but i think you could make yourself more “fun” raw food. that way, raw food doesn’t become a chore, or a “healthy burden”, but it becomes what you would honestly pick out of every option available. i remember my favorite line from juliano’s book… he says he chose to eat raw not because it’s the last word on health, but for sheer pleasure and taste.

eating more greens will also help stave off cravings.

p.s. i’m one of those who gets negative effects from cacao… like i’m on speed.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I hadn’t had cacao in a while, just because I was out. I had some this morning and it was just like when I used to drink lots of coffee! I guess I am more sensitive to the caffeine now! I often use carob because I really like it, I have read that it has many benefits and it takes less sweetner because it is sweet on its own. I order it online because I can’t find it raw around here. However, it is much less expensive than cacao nibs or powder.

• Thanks Pian :) I’ll be honest….I am lazy when it comes to preparing food :) I like to grab some fruit or veggies – wash them off and eat them.

• I kicked off with David Wolfe and he’s not often wrong, cacoa powder with greens and fruits and spices, maybe nuts and seeds also, smoothies i dig, why not have endless fun? Be experimental, bless this websight, it’s taught me to jot down my trials, pass on the good ones, that way i remember.

• Well so far so good – I weighed this morning just to see and im down 3lbs with eating my chocolate smoothie :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Do what works and feels right for you – sounds like you are. I agree with pianissima – someone I know once told people that the only reason to eat this way is because you want to – enjoy the taste, pleasure, fun, etc. of raw. Juliano had the right idea in my opinion :) I am amazed at how much flavor and pleasure I get from raw foods now, and how bland and boring and tasteless a lot of the cooked food seems.

• Oh and I had Kandace’s Avocado Kale Salad last night for dinner and OMG! it was SOOOOO good! I have never eaten kale in a salad before :) I am going to have that quite often.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I make raw ice cream almost daily. Just thaw frozen fruit (berries, bananas, etc) for about 20 minutes (depending on the climate), add some cacao (optional), nut butter (optional), vanilla, sweetener (not always necessary). Process till smooth and delicious!! What could be better?

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Rawkincake, Kale is what keeps me from eating alot of sweets. Keep eating it and try to fit it in where ever possible(same with the GOOD fats like your avocado). Also..The frozen fruit and/or nut ice cream post above is no joke.I had some pineapple blended and froze it til firm but not soo firm that I couldn’t easily scoop it. Ah, heaven. You could also blend a mango. Oh, mangoes. I juiced two for my roommate yesterday to keep him raw,saved the “pulp” and froze it. It was wonderful. even after removing the pulp from the juicer(and I got 90% of it out), when I juiced some carrots, ginger and kale, it still had some mangoey sweetness. Anyway I got off track, but I suggest blending some fruits and freezing them. It is highly enjoyable, and the stuff that flings on the side of the blender should be enough to lightly sweeten a good green smoothie. So you can drink your green smoothie and in two hours have your “ice cream”. mm mmm. Today is one of those days that every blessed fruit and vegetable dances in my head.

The above was confusing, but fruit excites me. I thought I would tell you though, I really don’t think the cacao smoothie will do you any harm, but more good in weight loss, not only because it will keep you from eating worse things, but because coconut oil is supposed to be very very good for weightloss. I’ve read in several places of people taking a tablespoon before every meal to help. For the most part (as long as you don’t GORGE on nuts) I don’t think good fats will get in the way of losing. If anything it aids it, and that people who get too little of their good fats actually maintain or gain. I also agree with amysue about chia seeds or flax being great additions. Definitely get fun and creative. You should enjoy whatever goes into your body. :) Cacao makes me happy and motivated. And I noticed I am one of those that actually gains weight if I don’t get enough fat, or if I eat cooked fats. SO, cacao nut-lattes are my love.

Now I have blabbered a bit. Hope you enjoy every bite you eat. :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

kale salad! rawkincake—that’s so funny. i have been having it everyday since i first made it. i didn’t have avo the first time so i made it with sunflower seeds. the next time i made it with sesame seeds. all variations are FANTASTIC. =)

• Im going to have another kale salad tonight :)

• If eating raw chocolate keeps you from feeling deprived eating this diet, then go for it! Knowing I can make raw chocolate desserts keeps me from going out and buying a Mars bar.

Might I recommend this chocolate mousse: http://goneraw.com/recipes/594-Chocolate-Mousse

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I’m getting my cacao from Amazon and Navitas Naturals now. I like it better than sunfood. It’s a little less $ also. I think if this is going to be lifelong—you must have raw versions of your favorite foods. I make raw chocolate balls almost daily. I have it around 4:00 and then i don’t try to eat the house.

• That is the same cacao I have too :) Gotta love $25 for 2lbs of it with free shipping :)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

My Whole Foods sells Navitas Naturals cacao…and I get 20 percent off with my employee discount, woot!

I have refrained from buying any so far because I was worried it wasn’t truly raw or something, but you guys seem to be giving it glowing reviews! :-)

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I love cacao smoothies and have been making chocolate mousse alot lately. Has anyone tried fresh cacao still in the white coating?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

rawkincake, that smoothie sounds really good by coconut butter do you mean ground up coconut flesh or,the coconut oil! Think I should try that it would help me stay away from nuts a little better!