Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw feels good!

jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

First – I just tried posting this in the Hello Everyone thread and I’m not sure if it worked, so this is a direct-cut & paste and I’m sorry if it’s a duplicate… still figuring out the forum stuff! :o)

Hi! I’m Jen. I’ve been lurking around this forum for a little while now, and I thought I’d finally join up and introduce myself! :o)

I’m 37 and I live in a small town in Northern California with my hubby John and my 9-yr old son Griffin and my very cross-eyed siamese cat Lenny. I’m pretty new to living raw, but not new to the concept. I’ve been reading about it for a couple of years, seems like, and becoming increasingly drawn to this lifestyle. I hesitate to even call it a “diet,” because I really dislike that icky D-word. I prefer to look at this whole process as a journey towards ultimate health and natural energy.

I’ve been vegetarian for about 6 years and vegan off and on through that time, and I’ve been making a real effort to eat mostly raw for about a month now. I still eat one cooked (vegan) meal a day – usually dinner, sometimes lunch – but I’m starting to notice how heavy and tired it makes me feel so I think my body is really starting to acclimate to the raw fuel – and really liking it! I love that I can feel satisfied without being so full and heavy feeling. That sounds awkward… you all know what I mean, right? Heh…

My journey towards raw actually began in earnest three years ago when I got clean and sober, but I didn’t know it at the time. I thought I was just going to stop drinking because it was totally wrecking my life and my health and my sanity… but after a year or so I started feeling so much better physically I wanted to see how far I could take the whole “getting healthy” thing. I think that’s about when I started looking around online and discovered Jinjee’s website, and Shazzie’s. (Hope it’s OK to name-drop! ;o) I was blown away and inspired from the very beginning. It’s just taken a while for me to go from concept to practice. So far I am just LOVING it.

I also wanted to say (and then I’ll wrap this up… I can be a bit of a motormouth but it’s just ‘cause I’m excited! It’s the Gemini in me ;o) that I really like the atmosphere of loving support and tolerance for each individual’s path that I see here on this forum… that very thing is what’s kept me sober and in the 12-step program I’m a member of, and it’s what ultimately decided me to join up here.

Love to all!

Jen

Comments

• Jen welcome,

what a great story you share, it is a lifestyle. I am new to this (35 days young) and its the first act of love for myself that I have done in a while. I did it mainly to feel better and lose weight and its working! Welcome to this site, loads of support, info, recipes and a living encyclopaedia. Enjoy your journey :)

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Welcome Jen! What an inspirational story. Congrats on being clean and sober! I was drawn to this forum as well for the loving, supportive enviro. It is unlike many other raw sites that I have visited. Kandace and Ray have really put together a wonderful site. I am on here many times throughout the day to keep me motivated and keep the raw momentum in my life, as I am the only one in my family that is raw. I know you will love it here!

• Way To Go Jen!!! Let me just say congrats on giving up alcohol and taking charge of your (and your sons) life. I grew up with alcoholic parents and it is not a path I wish for anyone. Adding eating raw to your lifestyle is a wonderful thing. I am pretty new to it too, but I love this forum. I am like spiritedmama and I too visit this site all the time to read what is going on and to see new ways on how to prepare raw meals. Welcome.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi Jen, Congrats on lving yourself to raw! I live with a Siamese called Tonka, he isn’t cross eyed though – if anyone suggested he was they’d get spat and hissd at for sure!! He is raw and it has done wonders for him aswell as for me and my husband. You mentioned being vegetarian and vegan on and off. I found it hard to stick to being vegan when I was cooked vegan. Since I have been raw all those diffiuclties have gone. Raw vegan food is so much nicer than cooked vegan food. So much more variety – for me anyway. Good Luck and lots of Love to you!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome! :o)

• koolieaidedkoolieaided Raw Newbie

I’m so happy that you’ve decided to join, and it’s true everyone here is very supportive and when your around a good support system it’s easy to stay raw. all blessings with your journey to health

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

Hello, and welcome!