Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

helping new to raw people

i just decided to start a raw blog and thought it would be cool to start a database of products (olive oils, frozen foods, dried fruits, etc..) where we generally have to call the company to make sure whether or not they are raw. wouldn’t it make more sense to just make the call ONCE and centralize the info to refer back to?

as time allows i’m going to start calling companies whose products could or could not be raw and i’ll post the companies stats on my blog. has anyone done this before? does this already exist? anyone want to help?

Comments

• What a GREAT idea!

No, I do not think a blog of this sort already exists. I am sure many of us will love to help.

Great idea!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

wow, this would be really helpful to me. thanks! and I am happy to help. I have already contacted a few local companies with good luck.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

A directory or database with that kind of information would be awesome.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I did this with all my ingredients, but just as a word of caution, I found in at least 3 or 4 times that even when the producer says it the product was raw it was not upon further investigation.

Once I asked 4 companies if their cacao nibs were fermented. Even though all the companies used the same cacao from the same source, they all gave me different answers, all very sincere and real sounding. But as I knew they were all supplied by the same bigger company who definatey ferments all their cacao, I knew some of them were lying, or maybe just bluffing coz they didn’t know the answer.

Chris and I have thought about starting a raw certification, like the ‘soil association’ mark on organic foods. The food companyies would pay a fee to be a member and get tested then they’d be certified “purely raw”. That would have to involve visiting the production facility in person, at random times, totally unexpectedly to do true and accurate checks on what is really going on. Traveling all over the world visiting food factories and farms sounds like a dream job! Maybe one day it’ll happen, when raw is common enough for more people to demmand certified raw products. I hope someone else does it if we don’t. In the meantime reporting your findings on a blog is a great idea. I don’t think there’s anything like this. People email Purely Raw all the time asking us if this or that product is really raw!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Wow, what a great idea pianissima and Zoe.

Sounds like a lot of work, but definitely needed for raw foodists. Maybe the more people that ask and request truly raw food… the more likely they will continue to make keep food raw (an unpasteurized, or whatever else they do to make it non-raw).

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

well great. thanks for the word of caution zoe. i bet many people don’t really know what raw means, or ever thought they should care.

yes, it would be a lot of work… if you have any info about products you’ve found out the “raw truth” on, you can just email me your findings: airmusique @ gmail.com

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

oh, also it would help if you wanted to send me a list of products you are currently buying, so i can start calling…

btw, zoe i think raw certification is definitely in the future… would be cool if you guys were the pioneers…