Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dandruff

Since I have changed my diet and not been eating meat or dairy and trying to do the raw thing, my scalp has been out of control.

I know one thing is that I need to limit my sugar intake. Also I’ve read that common causes are yeast overgrowth and/or definencies of EFA’s, vitamin B6 and/or selenium. I take 2 tbsps of flax oil a day. I’ve heard that taking herb pau d’arco in the form of tea or capsules, taking selenium, biotin and reishi mushroom capsules, along with washing with a chamomile or tea tree shampoo followed by a cider vinegar rinse with 10 drops of peppermint oil.

I am going to try the chamomile or tee trea shampoo followed by the vinegar/peppermint mix and see how that works.

If you have any other ideads for me, I’d love to hear them , I wear a black uniform for work and it can get pretty embarrasing. Thanks!

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i have excema on my scalp and i have tried the natural stuff but nothing works. i use neutrogena t-gel. it smells awful and is based on coal tar but it works. i am hoping if i am raw for longer it will get better. grrrrwww…

• bitt After I posted this I was going through this book I have called You Are What You Eat, which was where I found forementioned information. I went out to the local Thrifty’s and picked up some Jason organics scalp balancing shampoo, some cider vinegar, peppermint oil, selenium and biotin. After rinsing with the vinegar/peppermint mix I used the Jason conditioner and IMMEDIATEY my scalp felt a thousand times better, it even tingled a little bit from the mint, I still have the conditioner in my hair now for a deeper moisturizing and it feels wonderful. I would suggest highly if you have not tried this kind yet to give it a whirl. All the best of luck to you.

• hey mmmorgans :) – just out of interest… is that the book by Gillian McKeith?

• eshne- Yes it is, I love alot of things she has to say, they are very elightening, had it not been for that book my diet probably would have never changed.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

I have heard that ACV works, too. It does make you smell not so good though. I used to have really bad dandruff, but it has sort of gone away recently. I hope you can get rid of yours!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Grapefruit Seed Extract will take care of it. Here is a link explaining hwo to use it on dandruff and many other bacteria/virus/fungi ailments: GSE Uses

• You might want to check if your shampoo has sodium or ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfate in it. Those irritate and dry out the skin, and so make dandruff worse. After using such shampoo during the winter, my scalp was horribly itchy and I had worse dandruff than ever, but it immediately got better when I switched to just baking soda and vinegar.

• Thanks saturnina, I use Jason Scalp Rebalancing shampoo, no sulphates, I have been doing ACV and peppermint rinses, that helps, but I have been trying to not shampoo, and I find that is when it gets bad…I am doomed to shampoo foreverrrrrrrrrrr

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

MMMORGANS - Most people who think they have dandruff do not and actually just have dry, flaky scalps. Head and Shoulders is most responsible for this misbelief via their commercials making everyone think flaking had to be dandruff and required the purchase of their product. If people understood they actually had flaking, dry skin, they wouldn’t buy dandruff shampoo as a remedy.