Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Seaweed

Now, I have always enjoyed seaweed, but this is insane. Basically I have purchased practically all the available raw seaweed (raw nori, bags of Sea Tangle, etcetera) in Hollywood in the last two days and consumed it. What is going on?? All I want to do is eat seaweed. Maybe I can distract myself with a coconut or a green smoothie for breakfast, but then it’s on to the seaweed! Has anyone else gone through this? Does anyone know why my body is going batshit for this slimy green edible? Are you going to have to pull me off the Santa Monica pier before I go diving for more? I did read online somewhere that the stuff helps pull heavy metals out of the body, but at the rate I’m going we’re looking at me giving birth to Iron Man.

Comments

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Hi Audrey – your body needs seaweed and it is asking for it,so go forward,have as much as you can..It is going to be good for you.I remember 4 years ago when I got crazy about almond butter and had 2 glasses of it in 2 days.I needed that so much. As soon as your body gets what it needs you will stop the cravings.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

haha. Maybe the trace minerals you need. :) I love it too. Certain types I just suck on and then chew. I haven’t had any (whole anyway, only kelp powder) in a bit, I need to pick some up.

• Thanks Lucy + have_mersey. (She says, stuffing double layers of nori in her mouth.) Kelp for president!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Seaweed is a wonderful food, enjoy!

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

Well, I’ve not that “problem” with seaweeds, I’ve it with sprouts, and I just eat them in every meal, but for the next meal… what my body wants? More sprouts!

I have eat agar, but I’ve not try other, could you suggest me please any seaweed and how to eat? Thank you, and I wil keep an eye on a possible Iron Man taking a walk at goneraw :-)

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Some seaweeds aren’t raw, hijiki for example is cooked at high temperatures. And of course, some nori is roasted. Not sure about agar, I use psyllium for a similar effect in my recipes.

• OK - newbie question – and please don’t laugh. I have never had seaweed. I know, I know, but I’ve just never had it. In my mind, it tastes fishy. Is this true? The only fish that I ever really enjoyed was tuna and really only mixed with mayo in a sandwich.

I saw a recipe that called for seaweed noodles and thought I might give it a try. So, off to the health food store I went. I came upon the seaweed section and suddenly realized what a guy must feel like when we send them shopping for feminine products – all the choices – I have no experience with this – which one is right – which one is wrong – what are the different flavors (ok, well maybe the guys don’t have that thought)....but I’m sure you get the idea.

What is the difference between seaweed and kelp? There are different types (???) of seaweed – what’s the difference? What are nori sheets made out of? What does it taste like? How do you know if it’s raw?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel that I’m missing out on something. :)

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

Hi Karuna, don’t worry about that! Seaweeds are sea vegetables (algae) and there are different types. Nori is one of them, sometimes it’s roasted before using for making sushi. Agar for example has not any taste (but other algae are stronger). Some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaweed http://www.matsuri-restaurant.com/food/sides/se…

• Karuna, seaweed is amazing. It doesn’t taste fishy to me, but some may disagree. It can be a bit salty from the ocean water depending on which brand you buy. Yes, there are many different varieties of seaweeds. Kelp is a seaweed also known as alaria, usually hard and you’ll have to soak it in water before you use it. It has a unique, yet light taste. Throw it in a salad, make a raw soup, or wrap it up in a collard with some veggies. Nori is usually in sheet form and you’ll want the untoasted or sun-dried variety. It’s convenient for making “sushi” style wraps or just adding it to salads or raw wraps. Most seaweeds will say if they’re toasted or heated. Hope this helps…:)

• Thank you – that helps a lot. I will try again. Now I’m kind of excited. :)

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Some ARE lighlty fishy. But most are just goooood.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

audrey you make me laugh. “kelp for president!” =)

i actually went through a phase of needing a lot of seaweed as well. to me it felt like i needed the salt. ?

• Thanks pianissima! :)

I do feel like I need the salt…but then I always do well with a lot of salt. This feels different—I really do think I’m in some major detox phase again and some old junk is being cleared via the ‘weed.

Karuna: take a sheet of raw nori, slice avocado and cucumber onto it, toss in some arugula, and roll it up. Completely amazing! You will be sold.

• OK - I will give it a go. Thanks everyone. This will perhaps be a way for me to eat avocados also. They are not my favorite but I really want to enjoy the nutritional value.