Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What can be used in place of nuts in recipes?

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I dream of having a raw cheesecake without nuts.

I know zucchini is a good substitute when it comes to make things creamier; and coconut meat…

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I would also definitely love to have some of these recipes (for ice cream, etc) without nuts!

Unripe bananas maybe (not so unripe that they’re bitter, but before they get a lot of flavor). Avocados make things a lot creamier, but unless they’re with the right flavors you can taste their flavor.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I rarely use nuts in my ice creams. I almost always use bananas and young coconut. Both make a great vanilla and then you can work up from there. I usually use one of the two plus a sweetner (dates, agave, carob) a dash of salt and then whatever else you might like. I have added strawberries, cacao nibs (for chocolate chip), cherries and cacao, shredded coconut. I imagine cheesecake would work great the same way, I would add a small amount of psyllium husk to help it set up.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I make my ice cream with a base of young coconut. Sometimes I add almond milk, (which I don’t consider that nut-like because most of the nuts goes to the leftover pulp). I’m wondering about adding a spoonful or two of cashew butter just to balance out the coconut flavor, but that is nuts so I don’t do that too often.

For cheesecake, I would do young coconut meat, lecithin granules, and a little almond milk. Hope this helps.

PS leave out the almond milk if you care that much, but to me it’s benine.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

I think you mean benign, lol. But I’m thinking bananas, coconut, avocado, all good suggestions. What about seeds?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Oh, lol, yeah I did misspell that. lol

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

The only seeds I enjoy in moderation and seem to tolerate well, are pumpkin seeds.

• Agar agar will thicken things, as well as psyllium powder and flax seed.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

are hemp seeds out?

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I make cheesecake base with buckwheaties and coconut or seeds.