Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Feeling so discouraged

2»

Comments

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Thanks for the info about soaking the seeds and nuts…I’ll get on it.

Misscutecute – Don’t give up! My bread and butter (and filling!) recipe is the No Crust Key Lime Pie http://goneraw.com/recipes/91-No-Crust-Key-Lime…

See if you like it. I make about 3 batches per week. Just something to try that I can’t imagine someone not really liking. Especially if you like citrus.

• misscutecute, it took me 8 months of transitioning, adding more cooked foods in, trying raw again, and testing recipes to get to 90% raw where i am today. once you get there, you look back and wonder how you ever ate the way you did and felt alright. it’s just a matter of not putting so much pressure on yourself and letting the transition be natural. start with breakfast, which it seems you already have, and focus on eating raw before noon. you’ll start to feel better before lunch than after, so you’ll naturally want to add a raw lunch. find a few good recipes (onion bread, lettuce wraps and raw soups are my staples) and start to learn what ingredients you need to have on hand. try some cook books and maybe invest in one piece of equipment you’ll need for raw foods.

i ate a cooked dinner every night for 4 months before finally giving it up most nights. now i eat a cooked dinner about 1-2 nights a week, and always wish i’d eaten raw afterwards. by not telling myself i have to be raw all the time, i make it a choice every time i do eat raw.

as for your other concerns, i do 90 minutes of yoga 5-7 days a week, usually bikram or ashtanga. i have never had a problem with lack of energy, changes in recovery, etc. in fact, on raw days my practice is so much better and more focussed! my weight has gone up and down, though the general trend is down, but fluctuations have been very slow as my body adjusts to the new food i’m giving it. relax, enjoy the experience. if you don’t enjoy it, don’t feel you have to do it. it’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle, and it’s definitely not for everyone!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

misscutecute—i think you might be sabotaging yourself a little. 3 days of raw eating is not exactly “LIVING off” of smoothies, fruit, etc…

i can sympathize since “meals” were my main problem too, being raw (i wasn’t used to heavy meals on “cooked”, so the recipes out there always seemed a little too fat-focused for me). here are some not very heavy meal suggestions (some of which are on my profile):

-zucchini ribbons over raw tomato sauce, -lettuce leaf tacos with salsa & guacamole, -jicama rice, -cawliflower couscous, -spinach curry (spinach & a little bit of sesame seeds & garam masala & a little jalepeno & water… blended till smooth… serve over “noodles” or “rice”) -any winter squash “rice” flavored with parsley and onion

also, MAKE CONDIMENTS: -gremolata (parsley, olive oil, garlic)

-pesto

-mango ketchup (sundried tomatoes, mango, pinch of salt…)

-different salsas

and “PREPARED FOODS”: -”sweated” zucchini slivers with salt and pepper

-chris carlton’s “grilled meat” recipe

-flatbreads, crackers…

-1/2 dehydrated tomatoes tossed with olive oil

-1/2 dehydrated onion and pepper slices, tossed with lemon and olive oil

-marinaded eggplant (a nice dense chewy flavor)

also, presentation goes a long way. a nice purple cabbage leaf makes a great rice bowl. don’t underestimate the power of a good garnish. =)

• Pianissima is so right. Don’t leave yourself hanging without any other options. Make sure you have meals prepared and smoothie options available. You can do it, and believe me, plenty of high energy, athletic individuals are raw and not only survive, but thrive. Lots of love Harmony