Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fermented foods..

Does anyone make their own kim chi? I am absolutely ADDICTED to the rejuvenative foods’ spicy kim chi. i can definitely eat an entire jar of it in one sitting. the zing salad [beets] is fabulous too. i love all of their fermented products. does anyone do any of these things? Or does anyone know what type of container i should use when letting the vegetables ferment for 5-7 days? I’ve read stainless steel but i’m not sure if it should be air tight or a special container or what.

any and all help is highly appreciated!!!

ashley

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I know there was a forum string regarding this not too long ago. You may want to go to the forums section and type in fermented vegetables. I think that is what the string was called.

• When making fermented veggies (kimchi, sauerkraut), you want to use glass, not metal or plastic, both of which would be adversely affected by the lactic acids and may leach into your food. Mason jars work great.

• I am absolutely ADDICTED to the rejuvenative foods’

Watch out when you say that. Anything that we seem ‘ADDICTED’ to is usually (most always) harmful to us. I used to eat those products as many of the raw gurus were saying how healthy they are. After more research I found out that fermented means that the bacteria have produced their waste material in it (acetic acid for example) which is not healthy for us but a toxin. That is what gives them the sour taste (along with the lemon juice).

• thanks for the tip SocaL, but the price of them keeps me from REALLY being addicted to them. (;

• I’ve made kraut but never kim chi but i think the basic steps are the same. just different ingredients.

In general:

1. chop
    2. add sea salt
    3. pound to break down cell walls and release juices
    4. put everything into a glass jar and press down with your wooden hammer to make the juice rise above the top.
    5. Then seal for about 3 days.

Sandor ellix katz site and book are pretty decent.

wildfermentation.com

for longer ferments you really need some different equipment that lets off some of the gas with what’s called an airlock.

northernbrewer.com

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I like some fermented foods, miso, tempeh and sauerkraut, but you have to eat them in small amounts because they are acid forming. I also drink home “brewed” kombucha tea. That being said, I found a great fermenting jar on the Internet. I haven’t bought one of them yet, but if I decide to make my own sauerkraut, I’ll get one of these jars. So far I like Eden brand of raw sauerkraut. It’s a lot less trouble and I only eat it in small amounts.

http://store.therawdiet.com/pisaandkimch.html

did you grow from the beginning your own kombucha or did you bought a culture? There are so many internet pages..

Tell me more about yours, where you got it and so on. I love kombucha, but I cannot afford it. It is just on special occasions.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Hi Sonne83, A friend gave me a culture and I have given many of the “babies” away over the last few years. I’ll send you one in a few weeks when I brew a new batch. I’m in the middle of a move and I don’t have a batch brewing to send any starter tea. I also bought a SCOBY on eBay once, but it was tiny. Mine are several inches in diameter and pretty thick. It takes 7 days to brew a good batch. It needs to be in a warm place to grow. It’s very inexpensive to make your own tea. All you need is a gallon of tea (I use green tea), a cup of sugar, a glass jar, a coffee filter or cheesecloth (to put over the top) and some tea from the previous batch to use as a starter. The sugar and caffeine feed the culture, but very little, if any, is left in the tea when it’s fermented. I’ll let you know when I have an orphan that needs a home.

• Thank you so far. So good luck for “growing”.

I like to see to make own food, like seeds and so on. My next goal will be probably kombucha and kimchee.

• An old blog entry describing my kimchi: http://www.zenpawn.com/vegblog/2006/05/08/kimchi/

Since then, I now use more raw apple cider vinegar to be safer, as I do not use salt. Whether you do similarly, is up to you after reading the additional resources I provided in the comments section. I hope you find it helpful.

• Aww, I have a really great kimchi recipe in a Japanese pickling cookbook that I JUST packed!! (I’m moving tomorrow.) I’ll translate and post it when I unpack if anyone is interested? I’ve made it once or twice and it’s very good, although slightly different than store bought. I don’t think there’s any vinegar in it, I think it’s just spiced and fermented. Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know and I’ll post the recipe in a few days. :o)

MB

• Hi That sounds great MiniB! I would like to see the recipe- I used to eat it at a Korean restaurant when I lived in Berkeley California- but haven’t had it since.

• raw_earthraw_earth Raw Newbie

Minibeast, I’d love that kimchi recipe too. :)