Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Gone Raw Recipes including honey?

Hey, I’m wondering why many of the recipes on this site call for raw honey. Honey is an animal product and I thought this was a raw vegan website. Am I missing out on something/ being ignorant?

Thanks x

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Many raw vegans use honey, while others do not. Since it does not affect the bees in any way that’s bad (I think????) or have any bad effects on us, it is okay to use in the opinion of some people.

• Hi roodye, there is a leniency it seems with sweetners, spices and some other items. Feel free to substitute any other product at your will. Most spices are not raw, and maple syrup is definitely NOT a raw product. There are some raw proponents who feel raw food is raw regardless of vegan. I use raw honey due to the many benefits I have found personally with the product, BUT do not use maple syrup because it is completely a proessed food. I wouldn’t call it being ignorant, but if you were to hold everyone to the ONLY COMPLETELY RAW VEGAN recipes sin any non-raw products, you would have a lot of recipes disappear. Use your judgement, that’s what I do. :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i personally use honey on occasion (mostly cuz i am trying to use what i have… i don’t intend to buy more), but since this topic comes up a lot i am not including it in my recipes. it does upset some people, which i respect.

• Local raw honey is really good for you, partially because of all the normal raw factors, and partially because it contains the plant pollen from the plants in your area, which will help your body out if you’re allergic to something that grows nearby. I’ve heard of many people taking in honey for allergies, and they’ve said it has worked wonders.

I use agave and honey interchangeably in any of my recipes. I actually prefer the consistency of honey in my raw fudge recipe, or a combination of 3/4 honey, 1/4 agave. I’ve heard also that many agave companies process their product at a high heat, and if it does not say RAW on the label, it is NOT. I’ve seen many people go into the local co-op thinking they’re getting this great sweetener, but they’re not really getting anything of nutritional value because they’re buying the pretty golden one that’s a dollar less than the thick, dark, maple-looking one beside it. So if you’re going to use it, MAKE SURE it’s raw. Heck I’ve even heard of companies labeling it raw when it isn’t… If you’re not sure, honey is the better option.

And just since someone else mentioned it, I’ll say this. I live in Vermont. Maple syrup is literally everywhere around here. All the grocery stores have it, all the tourist shops have it, even some of the gas stations have it. Now it’s not that I don’t take pride in my state, I do. It’s a beautiful place to live and I love it here… But I’ve been on enough maple production tours in my life to know that maple syrup is NOT raw. MAPLE SYRUP IS BOILED TREE SAP. The first time I ever saw maple syrup in a raw food book (Raw Food Real World) I decided that the author of the book was not reputable enough for me to be spending money on his material. However in recipes I’ve found online that call for it, I have substituted honey for maple syrup and it has turned out just fine.

-VTRawGirl

• I’ll be substituting with raw agave from now on (since maple isn’t raw and honey isn’t vegan.) Thanks for your replies everyone!! Much appreciated

Becca xx

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

There is some argument about if agave is actually raw. Some folks argue that if agave is sweet, it’s not raw because it’s been heated. Here’s an excellent argument about how even if agave is raw, it may not be good for us since it has been processed. Article here

I use honey. It’s up to you about what sweetener to use. Date syrup (blend soaked dates with water) is a good alternative.

• That’s an interesting article, thanks.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yeah, I just use dates to sweeten stuff.