pickling ginger

hey everyone, quick question. I am making my own pickled ginger (fresh shaved ginger, apple cider vinegar, glass jar) and I know it lasts quite a while but how soon can I use it, like on my nori rolls? I made it about an hour ago but I have no idea if you’re supposed to wait a few hours or days or if it even matters? Thanks!

Comments

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Hi Liz, I use this method too and find they’re good to use the next day. I keep mine in the fridge and they seem to last a good month before the water goes a bit cloudy and then I start again. Or, if you eat your pickles quickly like in a week you can reuse the same liquid to make some more.

www.rawlifestyle.co.uk

• cool thanks…does yours turn out really spicy? I tried a tiny piece last night just to see, and I don’t know if it was the ginger or the ACV but man was it spicy! Maybe I just need to rinse the ACV off it before using? I’m not big on tart/spicy things, just want my ginger! The only kind they sell pickled at my store has aspartame in it, which is crazy – why would you put aspartame in pickled ginger??

Hi Liz, pickled ginger is quite potent so you may just be noticing the natural result. You could play around with the quantity of acv to water in the jar. I usually use about a 1/3 acv and then the rest is water.

• haha that would explain it…I just submerged it in 100% ACV! smart…thanks!

yeah 100% acv – too strong!