Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Coffee

2»

Comments

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Spiritedmama, I don’t know if you’re still looking for a brewing method, but even before I went raw, I used to use the Toddy cold-brew method. It’s very simple, and though it’s designed for use with roasted beans, I don’t see any reason why it couldn’t be used with sprouted beans instead.

Here’s the website of the people that invented it:

http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?produ…

You really don’t need their special equipment, though—basically, you just use very coarsely ground beans and soak them overnight, then filter. (I don’t remember the exact proportions of beans to water offhand, but I’ll be happy to look it up if you’re interested.) It makes a coffee concentrate that keeps fresh for weeks in the fridge. To drink, you just add warm or cold water (or nut milk) to make the coffee in the strength and temperature you prefer.

I was a big fan of this method. Even with roasted beans, it produces coffee with a much lower caffeine content and less acid. It’s also extremely convenient, and I always thought it tasted better, too.

I’m pretty shocked that Juliano doesn’t brew coffee this way! It seems like such a natural choice.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Thanks Jenny, I have tried the toddy method prior to raw and it was on my list to try with the raw coffee. I was just waiting to hear back from Socal before moving forward. Thanks for the great website link, it is one of the best I have seen on the Toddy method!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Weird. So Juliano won’t sell oranges, bananas, dates or carrotts because they are hybridised but he will sell regular coffee, it just doesn’t make sense…

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Zoe—-That’s exactly what I was thinking!

• Yeah, weird dude! He was there at the time I was, he looks like some Hollywood type – I think he is trying to break into being a moviestar. Coffee is okay but bananas – no way. Think he has it all backwards.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Well, I just could not believe that Juliano who is getting more and more pure was selling cooked coffee, and also the toutube video where I first saw his coffee mentioned in that he sounds like he is talking about a raw product not a cooked one, so I phoned Juliano’s myself, and they told me they use raw coffee beans, not roasted ones, and the coffee never goes higher than 120 degrees. They assured me that it was completely raw, just like everything else they sell.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Thanks for the updated research Zoe. Did you mention to them that one of our super sleuths had been to the restaurant and that one of their employees said that it was cooked? They might want to do some better staff training! Well, if it is truly raw, then we already know how to make it…yeah! Too bad, I hardly drink coffee anymore…LOL! But, when I do, I will make sure that it is raw!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

David Wolfe has mentioned coffee as if it’s ok to put into a smoothie or otherwise. I bet Juilian is using normal stuff too in small amounts. It’s probably no worse than cacao!

• I read in the book raw food real world about cofee and caffine. That it is bitter for a reason to warn animals not to eat it for its toxicity. That it gives you a buzz or boost your metabolism, dehydrates you because your body is trying to hurry up and get rid of it. I reflected on my first experiences with coffe as a young person,and how I had to add flavored syrups, milk, cream, sugar you name it to make it palatable, then over time cut back on all that slowly until I drank it black for years. I had grown into an addict, and was having ill effects from it so I thought if I as an instinctual child, not as effected by the ritual, would have never consumed black coffee plain due to the bitter taste, can it be a good thing for me? So I quit, don’t want to say I will never have it agian, I understand both sides the with coffee and without, the smell is beautiful, but it’s like all other things, donuts smell really good too, but obviously not good for our health. They have aromatherapy like mint, ginger, tea tree, where is the coffee and donuts, one called awakening, one cold comfort?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I drank coffee and tea since the age of 9. I never knew who I was as an adult without caffeine in my system. When I gave it up it was amazing.

Since I gave coffee up I can’t eat cacao. It makes me sick. It didn’t bother me before. It is bitter as you talked about smibrod, and I get so sick on it now, it is just another poisonous cooked food to me now. It is packed with caffeine and theobromine which would kill you if you had it in a large amount. Cocaine and heroin are both from plants, and look what they do to a person…

It’s all OK while you transition, but if you feel bad after a few months 100% raw blame it on cacao not the raw food diet!

• Zoe, just as you feel with cacao and coffee etc. you will eventually also feel with onions and garlic (and all the other toxic plant foods) when you have stopped polluting yourself with them for a time. You probably felt cacao was a great raw food when you were still addicted but after stopping the bad habit your body now reacts correctly to it. The same goes for all the other toxic foods. Try it and you will see why onions, garlic and the like (esp. hot peppers) are poisonous. I used to add a clove of garlic to my blended salads because Paul Nisan suggested it. After I found out it was toxic I stopped eating it entirely and now I can tell if someone else ate even a slight amount of garlic in the last 48 hours just from their body odor. I need to scan all the ingredients of any food that I did not prepare myself to be certain there is no garlic, onions, or hot pepper in it or I will not be able to eat it. These ‘foods’ are causing the bowels in your body to create hardened surfaces which will limit the digestibility of healthy foods. I feel it is healthier to eat slightly cooked food without these toxins than to eat 100% raw with them. Steamed vegetables will not cause your bowels to created hardened surfaces, but garlic and onions will.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

Julianos coffee is definitely cooked.

• interesting discussion! I understand that coffee is not ideal, and yes, the countries who grow it then have less space for growing food crops. However, it will continue whether we as individuals buy and drink coffee or not. These countries were forced to stop subsistence farming to grow cash crops for export during the Green Revolution (forced Pesticides on them which promised to end food famine in 1950-60 through today too) by the World Bank and IMF in order to repay their debts to these organizations for helping them during times of famine and poverty. The cycle forced them to also abide by the orders to use the pesticides and other chemicals, and the cycle continues.

So, it is deep, and isn’t just about coffee, but all export cash crops!

As for me, I am currently weaning myself off of my coffee addiction. I’ve been buying organic fair trade coffee for years, and for me, it is the smell, and the taste, yum… it just starts my day.

I used to work 2 full-time jobs daily, and as a single mother, I was constantly working and taking care of others and had no time to even sit and rest for a 5 min.! So I drank a travel mug of coffee in the morning, and then got another one on my lunch break. It was my treat that I could drink on the go. I did this for 3 years, and have been spending the past few months weaning myself off. I’m down to 1 cup of coffee /day now, and have kept the massive headaches away with this gradual weaning process.

I intended to give it up entirely, however I do love coffee, the ritual of the warm morning cup. If the green coffee beans soaked and sprouted are not toxic like the roasted, then I think I will try it, perhaps as the last stage of my weaning process. I found some on Amazon.com

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

The “Raw Mochochino” posted in the recipes tastes amazing like coffee too me and I used to be a coffee addict. I served it at a Raw Brunch and people said it tasted like coffee.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

This is scandalous!!! I’m weaning from coffee as we speak. I have a 1/2 cup of cold-brew in the am and Zoe is inspiring me. I’m ready for 100% now. I was hanging on to wine for what reason I don’t know since now even the best raw organic no added sulfite wine will have me holding my head before the single glass is even finished! I’m all for letting the body lead. It’s lead me far from legumes and recently VERY far from pumpkin seeds (go figure that one).