Majority of British Lawmakers Vote to Allow Creation of Human-Animal Embryos

MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

On May 19, 2008, by more than a 2 to 1 majority, the British Parliament has voted to allow the hybridization of human-animals for stem cells research, motivated by fear scientist in nations without a ban would gain advantages in the market and that the human-animal embroys would resolve the shortage of human embryos available for experimentation. Less than a month ago, several British scientists admitted they had already created human-animal embryos.

Article in International Herald Tribune

How accurate are human studies going to be if the study isn’t done on humans? If a bonobo chimpanzee only has a two-percent differential in DNA from a human, wouldn’t it make more sense (if there really is a human embryo shortage) to run the study on the bonobo than a cow-human where there is no documentation of its biological history? Craziness.

Comments

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

No matter what I hear about this kind of thing, it really doesn’t scare me anymore. Mainly because I no longer see this kind of thing part of our future as a species. I believe that in our lifetimes there will be a sudden worldwide rejection of science, medicine and technology. Stories like these just confirm for me that it’s coming.

We are now creating more diseases than we are curing and this is exponential. I don’t believe we will live on by downloading our brains into robots or moving to the moon like science is predicting and working on. I think something will happen. Hopefully not as extreme as in the film ‘I Am Legend’, but something big enough to cause a global shift back to natural living.

We will run out of Fossil Fuels in 14 years but I wonder how much longer we will have viable farm land, enough trees to clean the air and also I wonder how precious clean drinking water will be in 14 years, $100 a bottle?.

We can only live unsustainably for a while yet hardly any of our unsustainable practices are actually being changed. We make little adjustments that make hardly any difference. Then we call in the media to spread the word “see we’re OK, science will save us”. This way everyone can just carry on without changing, guilt free.

I think the end of the science/medicine age is coming soon. Personally, I can’t wait to dig up the streets and plant tomatoes!