Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Better Way to Wash Dishes

I hate throwing away scrubbing pads for dishes every few weeks. Does anyone have any better methods for washing dishes, that doesn’t involve throwing something away? A reusable scrubbing pad perhaps?

Comments

• suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

Growing up, my family always used cloths or rags. You can just throw them in the washing machine with your clothes when they get dingy and they last much longer than sponges and scrubbing pads.

• That’s what we do, Suzyq. Perfectly lovely and cheap. Not at all toxic,

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I use small dish brushes. It seemed different at first, but I like them now. I do have one hemp dishcloth that I bought thinking it would be kind of scratchy and work like a scrubbing pad, but when it is wet it became soft and I think the dish brushes work much better. I use those bulk packs of cheap, whtie washclothes for cleaning and I used those sometimes before I bought the hemp dishcloth. I really prefer the brushes.

I have two nice washclothes for taking a bath, which have never been used. I have a set of bath brushes and have been only using brushes when I shower for several years. I have a friend coming down in 2 weeks so I think those new washclothes will finally get used.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

How do you disinfect the dish brushes?

Also, how do I avoid wasting too much water when hand washing dishes?

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

Actually loofahs work great, and are biodegradable. I am unsure if they’re sustainably harvested…hmm. I know food grade hydrogen peroxide is the best sanitizer (among other things it’s wonders never cease!) splash a teeny tiny amount in a bowl of water, dip loofah-tah dah-no bacterial buggies!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

WINONA - Just to be sure we are on the same page, here is an example of a dish brush. I have two of them and one has had the handle removed so I can grip it better and scrub harder. I don’t disinfect them but keep them clean by using diswashing liquid.

Ah, now i see what you mean by a dish brush. That looks easy to use and is long lasting. It’ll save money – no more buying sponges! I just have to go find one at the store now.

ClaireT
  • suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

To save water when washing dishes, fill the sink with warm water and add some soap to the water, then wash all the dishes in the same water before draining it and rinsing them quickly under hot water. Or you could rinse while you go, over the sink, if you have a leaky drain stop or something, so that the rinse water refreshes the washing water. This will save a lot of water compared to letting the tap run while you scrub each dish, but maybe someone else knows of an even more water efficient way to wash??

Or you could just avoid dishes altogether and eat everything out of cabbage leaf bowls :)

ClaireT

I have a bucket that I keep in the sink. I’ll fill that with water and soap to wash everything before rinsing. Thanks!

ClaireT
  • alicekoualicekou Raw Newbie

Regular dish washing sponges need to be replaced frequently. But you can choose a dish scrubber that is durable for long use. I use silicone scrubber for that purpose. It's antibacterial but not absorb liquid. So this scrubber will need more soap. But it really tough! 

ClaireT
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

I boil my sponges to remove any bacteria and usually get some extra life out of them that way.