Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sweet Brown Rice!

angie207angie207 Raw Master

Have you guys heard of this stuff? It is rice, but unlike white rice, brown rice or wild rice, this stuff REALLY SPROUTS!!!!! I have some growing little tails in my sprouting tray right now, and I’m looking forward to trying it out – I found out about it from Rhio’s book “Hooked on Raw.” I’ll let you know how it is – does anyone have any experience or ideas using it? I’m thinking of putting it with flax meal in the food processor to use as some sort of bread? I really have no idea, but when I have time, I just love to sprout & to try new things :)

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Brown rice was one of the first things I ever sprouted but I didn’t know what to do with it! (I have Rhio’s book, also)

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

wow! very interesting! let us know how it works and how it taste!!

i think that sweet brown rice = glutinous rice, the one used to make sushi.

PS. I have found a photo of sprouted rice, just to know how it looks like http://wildhoneybee.blogspot.com/2007/11/its-al…

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Yup! That’s the one! Interesting that it’s glutinous… a while back I felt I was really missing grains in my diet, and I started using sprouted wheat & barley. In talking to my aunt, who can’t tolerate gluten at all, something came up that made me wonder if I need the gluten (blasphemy for most people, I know!). So now I was totally drawn to this sweet brown rice, and I find out that this one has gluten!? Interesting. :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

where did you buy it?

I bought it in the bulk bin section at my health food store.

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

That gluten seems to be everywhere!!!

I have made for the first time buckwheat sprouts, they taste (to me) to… sunflowers! But I have no idea about this grain, is it a grain? gluten?... oh, well, i will look for it and post it later

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

It really sprouts real tails?? Wow that is amazing! Thanks for posting ;)))

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

buckwheat groats are the seeds of the buckwheat plant – not grasses, not related to wheat.

cool about sweet brown rice… i’ll look for it this weekend and try to sprout it.

Yeah, little tails – it’s sprouted & not as soft as cooked rice… I’m going to have to play with it & see what I can come up with

• Sweet brown rice does not actually contain gluten. The term “glutinous” is referring to it’s stickiness, caused by starch, rather than protein like gluten. Check out the wiki page if you’re interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutinous_rice

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

sweet, i can still eat rice!! :D

Okay, so I ate some tonight – it was kinda hard, like rice that is partially cooked, maybe? Not crunchy, but nowhere near soft. It took some jaw muscles to chew, and I enjoyed it :) If I were wanting cooked rice, it wouldn’t go over well, but I ate it with a mixture of marinara & seed cheese, and I was really happy with the new texture, as I seem to eat a lot of soft or crunchy raw foods, and this was neither one and also very filling without being heavy!