Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Spam Sales Increasing

WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

As food prices soar, so do sales of Spam

Quote from article: “These products have protein and decent nutritional value, and they provide some variety to consumers who may be bored because they’re eating more at home” said Marcia Mogelonsky, senior research analyst with Mintel International in Chicago.

“Quan just bought a couple more cans of Spam on sale and some ramen, the instant noodle dish long a staple on college campuses. Her food and gas budgets are together, so she’s had to cut back on food spending while the cost of gas increases. Her favorite Spam meal? Spam and macaroni and cheese. She doesn’t skimp on nutrition, though. Quan serves her husband and three children – ranging in age from 4 to 11 – organic vegetables like salads, broccoli and carrots. ”It balances out,” she said.”

Does it really balance out?

Ever heard of processed meat causing colon cancer? That’s why this baseball player went vegetarian

Comments

• yuck. I remember being a little girl and coming downstairs in the morning to my grandpa frying up a big ol pan of spam and eggs. eek! Gag me with a spoon.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

BAlance out?? LOL, well, what do you expect from someone who would feed their children an unclean(non Kosher) food? Spam is very dirty. It’s actually cheaper to buy a cut of pork and mix it with rice and veggies(although still a dirty meat)

Also, doesn’t Spam have a lot of by products in it? I.E., filth? My own thoughts are that Spam was a scam product put out to the market back during WWII. A scam back then and a scam today.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Ham, pork, sugar, salt, water, potato starch, sodium nitrite. ‘ham is from the upper rear leg of a hog while pork can describe meat from several different cuts’ AKA mystery meat – parts of the pig that are not mentioned.

Of course i’m suprised that people eat sweet little pigs. I really, deep down, love pigs. They’re squeaky and playful and very cute!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Ha! – Me too. My mom used to make Spam and macroni cheese for dinner. I don’t why I liked Spam back than but I did – I didn’t know any better than I was young – I had no idea what it was but that is was nice and salty. But yes, it is super gross – alot of “leftover parts” I am sure – like some hotdogs. Spam is very popular in Hawaii which is weird – it had do with because they couldn’t get any meat over in WW2 there so they shipped Spam.

Alix1962 – Spam become popular in WWII because it was cheaper to ship and didn’t go bad or something like that.

Winona – Pigs were at the Number 9 spot I believe for “Top 10 Smartest Animals in the World” :) The bad thing is that they put Humans at Number One. :(

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Balances Out? Puleese. What a bunch of baloney. Pun intended. My Grandmom whom I loved dearly ate more processed/canned/packaged meat&pork products than anyone I’ve ever known. My mom says that if it didn’t come in a package it never entered my Gram’s kitchen. But all those nitrites caught up to her and stomach cancer won out in the end. Balances out my aunt fanny.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

wow marichiesa, sorry to hear… most kids my age (23) believe that nothing will harm them. i try to remind them of the scenario you described, when poor health catches up to you. they don’t want to listen… they haven’t gotten to the point of terrible illness. it’s sad to watch folks my age beginning the lifelong path to disease and cancer.

it’s awful that these products are sold in stores as safe for human consumption. that’s the real tragedy… chemicals and dangerous ingredients in what they call ‘food’.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

my students ate spam the other day in technology class. gross. i am feeding them raw smoothies next week to detox them.