Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

soup

I have been steering myself away from soup ever since I started experimenting with raw food because I don’t really know how to go about it . Do you guys eat it room temperature, cold, or do you warm it up a little(if so how?)?

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I eat it room temp and heated. When I heat it I usually do it in the dehydrator, but have also used the coffee maker. I was a little skittish about trying soup, a former staple, but now I love it. I have posted a couple of soups on this website, but also love corn chowder and tomato. The other day I had some leftover pico de gallo so I pureed it, because I didn’t like the texture of the tomatoes after they sat overnight, it made a fantastic soup.

• the coffee maker? wow that sounds interesting.

I read about it on this site, it’s slow, but easy.

• it doesnt make the soup taste like coffee?

no, you just put it in the carafe on the “burner”, my glass carafe doesn’t retain any coffee flavor. maybe you thought I meant to run it through?

• ohhhh yeah I guess I got a little confused lol:)

That would be fun to clean, wouldn’t it?

• no doubt. What a mess. omg can u imagine then your coffee would taste like soup and vice versa yuck!

I was envisioning corn stuck in the tube that draws the water up!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I start to boil the kettle and switch off when the kettle is hot to the touch. I then add the hot water to the veggies (which are usually cold straight out of the fridge) and blend. My favourite soup is

1 tomato

1 zucchini

1 small handful fresh parsley

1 clove garlic

dash sea salt

1 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp turmeric

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

another method is juicing. this winter i was making butternut squash, pumpkin and carrot soup by juicing all the above and adding a little bit of the pulp back into the blender with cinnamon and coconut meat

it is pretty sweet though.

another “soup” that is great is gazpacho. you just blend tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, anything you would put in a summer salad. you can add ice too. better for summer. delicious!

• i love gazpacho! yum. the possiblities are endless – watermelon gazpacho with ginger is great for summer. for warmer soups – the blender brings those up to room temp/warm nicely. you can replicate many traditional soups in raw form. some people just don’t prefer raw soups. my husband is south american (he loves raw foods and prefers eating raw) and traditionally for him, growing up, soup was served with every meal – we’re talking boiling hot, take a layer of taste buds off, soup. so with that said, he can’t get past the no-heat issue of raw soups. oh well…. more gazpacho for me. : )

• Soup in the coffee maker, LOL!

OMG yum, sweetpea, that soup sounds so good. I might have to try that tonight! To be careful about keeping everything raw, you could even take the temp of your hot water before adding it, if you have a kitchen thermometer that is.

I typically eat my soup room temp. Adding spice like jalapeno is supposed to add the illusion of heat.