Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Tomatoes - Salmonella

roxiroxi Raw Newbie

Has anyone seen this news report?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080603/ap_on_he_me…

They are linking salmonella with raw tomatoes in Texas and New Mexico. This is yet another example of peoples weakened immune systems from SAD food. Just think….if everyone was a raw vegan, their immune systems would have taken care of the salmonella before it became a problem and most likely we wouldn’t even know about this issue or have even found out about it in the first place.

Any other thoughts??

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I don’t know that ingesting something like salmonella is so easy to throw off if even if you’re eating all raw, although I think there is a much, much better chance of fast recovery.

More and more nasty strains of bacterias are being formed from our abuse in society and some of them can’t be fought off easily, not with diet and not with antibiotics, which is frightening.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I have to admit I am somewhat suspicious when these things happen. The FDA is soon to approve mandatory irradiation of all our greens and guess this will make tomatoes next.

Remember, A grapefruit seed extract wash is a great way to protect yourself from food born illnesses on raw food.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

“Of the 40, 38 were interviewed. Most said they ate raw tomatoes from either stores or restaurants before becoming ill between April 23 and May 27.”

Now is it just me or does anybody else think that this is a ridiculous quote?! In a little over 1 month, they are asking if they ate raw tomatoes??? I can picture the interview now… Ok, in one month’s time, did you ever eat a raw tomato? Did you ever eat a fast food burger, which has a tomato on it, or a salad at a restaurant, which has a tomato on it, or salsa at a restaurant, which has raw tomatoes in it…how ridiculous. I also think that this is a ploy to make people panic so they can justify irradiation. For Pete’s sake, wash your produce if you buy if from the store. Studies show that at least 20 people have touched that tomato before you buy it…gross…that alone makes me wash a store bought one. And the article also states that it mainly comes from animal feces contamination…so it’s not the “raw” tomato’s fault, eating a “raw” tomato is not the culprit, eating a dirty tomato is. it’s the environment where it was grown or processed or packaged or some dirtbag with filthy hands touching the tomato at the store :P. What a sad world this is at times…best to grow your own :)

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

LOL! Have to laugh, my photo has a…yes…you guessed it…a RAW TOMATO!!!!! :)

I thought the same thing about that line, rawmama. It is ridiculous and utterly useless, but it is actually effective in a lazy society which can barely read.

• There are currently two active threads going on about this topic. Both threads are sharing great opinions and information.

Here is the link for the other thread….

http://goneraw.com/forums/7/topics/6094

If you are growing your own, like myself, make sure you are aware of what you are growing and eating.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Someone posted this earlier… it’s interesting that no farm or distributor has been found to be the main source. I wonder if they’ll find them. If not, I wonder who is doing what to our food. Fortunately, nobody died. Yes, and I too wonder if this is yet another step for irradiated food! Imagine that… we couldn’t even save seeds after that to grow our own.

germin8, they might very know well who. Usually when this happens, even on a large scale, the powers that be, including government agencies, gather to decide how to avoid hurting the companies involved. LIke with the last poisoned ground meat. This is disgusting but true.

• Again, I find myself agreeing with Meditating – This is just another scare tactic put on in order to have the people demanding the problem be solved… and suddenly… of course! The heroes have arrived with the big “SOLUTION”... irradiating (killing) all of our precious medicine… so that big pharma can continue to make even more money on harmful pharmaceuticals while we all fall ill… and thus, eliminate large amounts of the population ... but it’s all done in the name of our “SAFETY” of course… – big brother loves you -

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace” – Jimi Hendrix :)

• DreaDrea Raw Master

I so agree with TopicalRawElla!

Has this happen to any other veggie? They make the “its sick” call, then go on to “cook” it (I’m assuming this is what irradiating it means)?

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

Wow. I’m not what you would call a conspiracy theorist, but I must say, every time in the past couple of years when they start talking about people getting food poisoning from some kind of raw produce (remember when it was spinach?), for some reason, my mind immediately went to the possibility that it was just TPTB manipulating the media, making up lies, and perhaps poisoning a few people to make it look good. I couldn’t figure out exactly why until these last few months, when I started reading about things like pasteurizing the nuts, the GMO crap, etc.

So now I guess they have figured out that the way to control us is by making us dependent on them for health care. And as long as pesky raw vegans exist, there will be one segment of society that is annoyingly healthy. And their diet/lifestyle will serve as an example to those who want to become healthy. But ruin their food, and they will become as ill as the rest of the population, with a greatly increased need for healthcare. More money in big Pharma’s pocket, and more government power over all Americans due to the impending ‘universal healthcare’.

I’m just glad that I can still plant my own food, and have access to good forage. We are gonna get screwed.

• It never ceases to amaze me to see what is going on in society. A little over 500 people got sick in this outbreak yet people I know personally are dying everyday of cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc, which are all diet related diseases. How many people are dying of these things everyday in this country with these diseases? I am sure it is thousands each day. This whole media hype makes it look like eating veggies will surely kill you yet just he opposite is true. By the way, tomatoes were cleared now its peppers and cilantro, oh please, give me a break. Maybe it is one of those but just look at the odds. Would someone please transport me to a place where there is rationality for just a day?