Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

hair help!

i have really coarse curly hair! i have never been able to not wear product in it, but i really dont want to put anything in my hair anymore. at least not anything harmful. i was wondering if anyone could recommend something to put in it to keep the frizzies down and curls intact? heres a picture of what my hair is like… i dont think i had anything in it at the time, but its been over a year since it was taken.

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’m in love with my now “no poo” hair!! I have coarse, thick wavy/curly hair and now I can actually brush it into lovely waves

• I’ve been following the no poo regimen after reading queenfluff’s thread and feel that has helped with my curly hair.

One trick I do to get nice curls is after a shower I take pieces of my hair and twist them around my finger and then pin it up. I do this until all of my hair is twisted and pinned up. Then in the morning I take out the pins and release the curls, running my finger through them a lil, and for me the curls hold since thats how my hair is naturally. Its a styling tip I picked up from a hair stylist (kind of creates cork-screw curls). She used some product but it works just fine for me without and might be worth a whirl. :)

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

No poo!

• thank you everyone! i will try the no poo..lol ive been wanting to anyways. i just spent $90 on hair stuff from chaz dean, maybe i can sell it on ebay, lol. i will also try the other suggestions.

• This may sound strange, but it works. I promise.

Take a bath in warm water and pour in some Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar. About 2 cups should be fine, you don’t need to use too much. Just keep your hair in the water while you’re bathing for 5-10 minutes. Doesn’t have to be continuous, just as long as its comfortable for you to do.

I discovered this while I was soaking in ACV to help fight a skin infection. I came out of the bath and noticed by hair was more fine than it had ever been.

This site has more info: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shampv…

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Wow, your hair is so thick! I wish I had that problem, lol.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I don’t know if you are up for it but go “no ‘poo” – it works the best on curly haired persons like yourself. Read our “To Shampoo or not to Shampoo thread” (warning it is pretty long). You might want to read the book “Curly Girl” which recommends the the no ‘poo method for persons with hair like yourself.

Other than that you might want to try some aloe vera gel – it works like a gel sub and will smooth your hair down. Also if your hair is dry and the aloe doesn’t suffice you might want to try a small dab of coconut oil. – frizzies normally happen when your hair is dry so you need moisture. Spritzing with water will also help.

But honestly no poo (no matter how radical it might seem) will work the best – when sebum is left in the hair it become your natural conditioner and will make your curls smooth and in control.