Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sacroiliac Joints ?

queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I have a problem with what I think are my Sacroiliac Joints – at least on my right side.

At first I thought it was still my right kidney bothering me as I just got over a mild UTI/Kidney infection but now, after doing some research, I realize it is this “bone” area which I guess is called the Sacroiliac Joint.

It is basically right next to the small of my back (that really flat bone) right aboove the butt area.

On both sides, it is really “bally” and “bony” feeling but on the right side – it feels like there is a big ball (of course like everyone I think its a tumor or a growth – always think the worst) that moves around a lot when I touch it and it feels tender to when I press it.

On the right side, I get slight achey feeling in that area which goes in my top butt area and the hip area and sometimes down to the side of my right thigh.

It isn;t really painful but just uncomfortable feeling because it gets achey.

Anyone know anything about this joint and what might be wrong with mine and advice of what I can do to fix it and get rid of the bally thing in there?

I can’t really afford to go a chiropractor if that is what I need (I do know one though so maybe I can try to get some free advice).

Will exercise or something like yoga help?

I already take MSM everyday so I don’t think it is something that MSM will help.

I am not sure exactly what it is but it is definatley different on that side compared to my left side.

Any advice for me? Thanks guys!


  • SueSue Raw Newbie

    Hey queenfluff. I would have responded sooner but this site can be so slow sometimes. I have always been a firm believer in getting checked out when something is not right. In the past year and a half, since I’ve been raw, I have had “frozen shoulder” and “tennis elbow.” Both times I went to an orthopedic doctor “just in case” and both times I was healed by a holistic chiropractor. Since you have this obvious “ball” I suggest you have it looked at by a specialist so at least you will know what it is, or isn’t. It’s probably inflamation, but you want to be sure. I don’t know your age but you look too young to have this kind of problem. I know you said you can’t afford a chiropractor but maybe a clinic, or a one-time consultation??? Good luck.

  • waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

    Queenfluff~ It sounds like you have a knot in your muscle, maybe you pulled a neck or shoulder muscle and the fibers that run down and criss-cross windup in a knot at the end… I have also had this same thing… I promise you there is NO tumor!!! Use heat and massage along with stretching exercises… A chiro or osteopath would help you out faster but like you said, $$$ I do know $$$ is needed in other areas… You might want to take ibuprofen every 4 hours to decrease the inflammation… Good Luck!!! I’m no Doctor just have had this type of experience…

  • Hi queenfluff. I would agree with Sue that if you are at all concerned you really need to get somebody to take a look at you. I am an english osteopath – nonpracticing at the moment due to young children – but can’t really give advice online…. only thing I would say is that what you may be feeling over your SI joint is a lipoma which is a totally benign fatty lump. They are often found here and it may be something you haven’t noticed before because its not an area we tend to poke around too much until it becomes tender or uncomfortable. Hope the discomfort passes but its worth seeing someone if it persists. Good luck.

  • queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

    thanks for the replies so far!

    Grania – hmmm, lipoma eh? That sounds like a possiblity.

    I also forgot to mention that I have had this ball-y lumpy thingy for a while (I can’t remember when it first appeared). I thought it was just my bones and I was just lumpy boney person in that spot. It has bothered me before (as same) in the past but hasn’t for a while and now it is bothering me again.

    If that is what it is, a lipoma, is there anyway to get rid of by myself? What kind of doctors can I go to to get this taken care of if I decide too? Can I go to a chiropractor or do I need to go to a ortho doctor? I was looking online and it seems that surgery will be need to remove the lump.

    My guess is that it is irritating that area some how because it doesn’t always bother me and now has started up again.

    waterbaby12347 – It is definately not a muscle as I don’t think there is any muscle there – it is like a moving lump. If I touch around that area I can find the bone and it feels tender if I press on it but the lumpy bit actually moves around the area a bit it is not like a fixed structure like a muscle. I have been using heating pad and massage.

  • lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

    Queenfluff-I’ve been a physical Therapist for 22 years and i can tell you sacro-iliac joint dysfunction will never manifest as a moving lump of soft tissue. Sounds like something as benign as a lipoma, but could also be a cyst. people who have one lipoma usually have others as well, but around the bony area of the lower back is a fond area for them as well as near the top of the shoulder blade. I would have this evaluated by a dermatologist as it doesn’t sound like a mechanical problem—ie: “I move this way and it hurts here,” The tenderness would be greatly relieved by someone proficient in strain/counterstrain technique (PT or DO—some, but not all). However-if this is a mass as you describe, you must have that evaluated.

  • queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

    lzhpt – So I should go to a dermatologist first? I am pretty sure it isn’t a skin problem as it is inside me. You can’t see it from the outside. You have to feel it to know it is there. It doesn’t protude out of the skin as a lump (although that area does look a bit bumpy through the skin but that is the bones) Of course, my bf said “that doesn’t feel any different from the other side” but I know it does – there is something extra there on that side compared to the other one – an extra lumpy thing.

    It does sometimes feel uncomfortable in that area if I sit a certain way or bend a certain way – but I don’t know if it is just because I feel tender there or what.

    I want to go to the correct sort of doctor first off so I don’t have to pay for two doctors. I have no job or health insurance now so it will have to go on my credit card.

  • lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

    It’s really impossible to advise without seeing and palpating this. Here are a few guidelines: A Lipoma feels just like a boil under the skin. It has definite borders, is usually round, but doesn’t have a head like a boil would. It is not at all red. They can be small or very large. A tender point is an area within a muscle that is sore enough to make you jump when someone pokes it. To a trained hand, it would feel grainy—you could play some of these like a guitar string. There are many benign things this could be, but more importantly, you want to rule out that it could be a more significant mass. It’s obviously a soft tissue problem and is subcutaneous—the dermatologist is a good start, especially if this is a new growth. You could always chat with the nurse first to explain your history.

  • bluebellsbluebells Raw Newbie

    It IS the sacro joint. Get it checked out to make sure it isn’t osteo arthritis. If it inflamed, put an ice pack on it. It could be a knotted muscle. When my sacro goes, I do the ‘Cobra’ Yoga excercise. Do it very slowly. It doesn’t get rid of the pain immediately, but it helps alignn your spine. Sometimes it is a result of some misalignment in the spine. Basically, it will go but it is literally a PAIN IN THE A**. !

  • Hi, I know exactly what you are talking about, I had a little girl who is now 11 months old, since giving birth to her I have had tenderness on my pelvis area. I have a big lump under my skin on left sacroiliac joint. I have had a xray of this area which came back as diffuse formed sclerosis of the left iliac, I asked the doctor what this is and he told me that it was some sort of arthritis, I have had inflammation in this area and a lot of lower back pain. Do not leave it as it only gets worst i have had numerous blood test which have all come back with normal results, i had mild positive for arthritis but a normal person can have that. Nobody can tell me why I have this lump etc. I now am in excruciating pain in my stomach which feel like contraction pains (i am not pregnant) which also travels to my back and makes me feel sick. Nobody understands what it is like to experience and it can really make you depressed, I have had a bone scan and am waiting for the results but I am constantly worried that I have a tumour or something worse which is probably not the case. But I would definately keep on to everyone before you feel the pain which i am going through I am fed up of being in pain and constantly feel like what is the point of living so please dont let it get this bad, I have seen numerous chiropracistor which is a waste of time, I see a massagest each month which gives me a deep tissue massage which eases some of the pain but does not take it away, also no tablets take away the pain or help with the back ache i am experiencing.

  • hi again try using a tennis ball push it into the lump and see if you feel any referred pain, tenderness, soreness. I have found out i have myofascial pain syndrome which gives you soft tissue lumps around your body basically all your stress is stores in these lumps. When you use the tennis ball against these lumps and press against it until you feel no more pain dont press too hard just enough to know your doing something i would advise this to anyone. I know it sounds silly but it is the best treatment i have found yetif the lump disappears you will know it has worked. Also there is a site online called trigger point and reffered pain take a look and see if your have the lumps in any of these areas as that is how i found out i had it because the diagrams showed me exactly the same places where i was suffering. hope it helps!

Sign In or Register to comment.