Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Regarding oats

I’m new to raw, and I have a question about oats. I have celiac disease, and so it’s terribly hard to find gluten-free oats (or, rather, oats free of cross contamination). The ones I have found I don’t have a reaction to, but they’re kiln roasted, much to my chagrin. I have eaten them in raw recipes recently, but am a bit agitated considering they’ve already been heated. My question is, am I defeating the purpose too much by eating them? Would it be better to continue eating them raw? Cooked? Should I just give them up altogether? I have limited breakfast-type options as I’m allergic to a plethora of foods, so any feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I get fresh rolled raw oats from goldminenaturalfoods.com. I am not sure about possible contamination, though. Lately I have been subbing buckwheat sprouts for oats and loving it! I also buy my groats from the above website as they are of a higher quality and fresher than ones from my HFS. To sprout, soak the buckwheat groats 15 to 20 min. Rinse and put in sprouters. Rinse 3 times over a 24 hr period and they should have little tails by then and be done. I dry them 3to 6 hrs in the dehydrator and store in the fridge.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

If you want to be raw then I would say that it is important that you buy really raw oats as ALL oats found in normal health food shops unless they specifically state that they are truly raw oats have been steamed. Even oat groats. They steam them because the clever worms won’t eat cooked oats! Really raw oats are more expensive. But if that is what will make you hapy and feel satisfied then maybe it is a good idea to have some.

As you get further into raw and more confident about making recipes etc you will find many new foods and recipes that you love. It does take time to try new things and discover new favourites.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Everything you do for your health is important & definitely makes a difference! So, don’t think you’re defeating the whole purpose if this one cooked thing keeps you able to stick to a more healthy way of eating than you would otherwise be able to maintain :) You can get organic whole raw oats from www.sunorganic.com – just get the oats for sprouting, not oat groats. I don’t know anything about the cross-contamination, but you could always contact the company & ask your questions.

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

I have ankylosis spondylytis, which means before I went raw I spent a lot of time researching about gluten etc… and try many things, sometimes on their own. My advice would really be to avoid oats, if you can. Even truly raw, they never did me no good. Of course it differs from individual to individual, it might be OK for you. But some pine nuts with sunflower seeds in moderate quantities are very filling and yummy.

• Thanks for all of the advice/encouragement. I’m hoping eventually I can ditch them, but for some reason my stomach goes haywire if I don’t eat something of the starchy sort in the morning. I can only really eat fruit if I eat it with it, too, but I’m slowly incorporating more and more berries and nuts into my morning routine so that I can eventually wean myself from all of the heavy grains. I just realized it’s rather funny though, that I actually don’t like oatmeal, but eat it rather out of ‘necessity’, haha.

• I was buying oat groats at the health food store and they were working great in my recipes. But when I found out about the steaming, I switched to the oats from a raw food online store. I’ve made things with them a few times and every time, even when I rinse them really well, they are just so…oaty. I don’t know how to describe, but kind of bitter and not tasty at all. Does anyone know why? Do I just need to soak them really, really good? Help! Thanks

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I’m gluten intolerant and avoid oats, as I have for years. Buckwheat makes a great starchy breakfast, and as far as I can tell cross-contamination is not a problem.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

fairytalecorruption, i totally understand what you mean. i have been gluten-free for 12 years. i was so happy to have the gluten free oats that i ate them every morning straight for about a year. i haven’t been able to find any raw oats. try buckwheat “crispies”. soak buckwheat for about 6 hours. then dehydrate it until firm and crunchy. serve with whatever you like in your cereal (i like coconut flakes, raisins, a dash of agave and cinnamon). top with almond or nut milk. it’s like cheerios! (ok, i haven’t eaten those in 12 years but it’s close). btw, have your tried green smoothies in the morning? that and a banana is my choice.