Fat in greens (and others)

anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

I was making a research looking for information on fat and oxygen intake (due to a post of gorawmom about that issue in “Feed the monster” thread) when I have read a pianissima’s post in “80/10/10 and how I feel about it…” talking about greens (among other things), and it has ocurred to me (don’t know very well how) to check nutritiondata. I get surprising results (at least for me). My aim is to eat raw, so i’m not worried about fat, perhaps i will be later when i achieve my objective, but not at this moment. Anyway, that doesn’t mean that i don’t want to know things about healthy eating, fat included.

From nutritiondata:

Chrysanthemum leaves, raw 20% fat

Seaweed, spirulina, dried 22% fat

Peppers, jalapeno, raw 17% fat

Parsley, raw 18% fat

Horseradish-tree leafy tips, raw 18% fat

Coriander (cilantro) leaves, raw 19% fat

Arugula, raw 22% fat

Radish seeds, sprouted, raw 49% fat (!!!!)

Tomatillos, raw 27% fat

Alfalfa seeds, sprouted, raw 25% fat

Pumpkin leaves, raw 18% fat

Comments

• Just so you know… Those nutritional percentages are only percentages of the calorie content, not the actual weight. Of course such very-low-calorie greens and herbs would be have a higher percent of calories from fat. One gram of fat in a serving would probably be 60% of the calories in a cup of spinach! No need to start a moratorium on greens… :]

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

sorry, i did not pretend to start a moratorium. In fact, what i have been thinking after looking to those results is that if some greens have relative high percentage of fat, then wold be bad FOR ME to follow a diet with for example 25% fat? As I have said in my first post i’m not worried about my fat intake since my aim is to eat raw. I’m trying to understand the role of fat in a diet, i have read here things on 811, or about fat and oxygen (as i have said) and i’m just wondering what’s happen with fat. It has been a big surprise (for me) to find out that there are greens (quoted the first post and others like basil or thyme) that have a high percentage of fat. Just that.

repeated post, sorry

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hey there,

it’s true that greens have fat in them. as do a lot of fruits and veggies. mostly, they are in their perfect form (more omega 3s than omega 6s). my point wasn’t that we should watch our intake of greens, though, just for the record. my point was that if we ate enough greens we would have plenty of fat in our diet (and the good kind!)

sorry if it sounds like i was making a contrary point, perhaps i have had to link to the threads mentioned not just quoted. Here they are:

http://goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/6242 (Feed the monster)

http://goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/6266 (80/10/10 and how I feel about it… )

I want to clarify that i’ve nothing against greens. i eat them!