Coming off anti-depressant

Hi there! I have been on anti-deppressants since I was in high school (I am 24 years old now). After being 90% raw for about a month now, I have decided I would like to come off of the drug (Lexapro). I have tried this before, and always ended up going back. I know I will be facing withdrawal symptoms, and I am prepared for this. Has anyone else done this after going raw? I would love to hear about your experiences! Any suggestions would be great…supplements for the transition period (withdrawals) and/or to replace the anti-depressant…behavior modifications…foods that might help/hinder the process. My current diet consists of a daily green smoothie, veggies salads, lots of fruits, about 1/4 avocado daily, some nuts & seeds, hemp seeds and hemp protein… the 10% un-raw is the VERY OCCASIONAL cooked veggies/sweet potato (2-3x a week), coffee with soy milk a few times a week. Thank you for any suggestions!!

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yeah i have detoxed on and off meds for awhile. luckily lexapro is pretty easy to detox off. there are not many symptoms that are nasty like some other antidepressants have. first, i would consults whoever prescribes it for you. then ask them if they want you to reduce it gradually or come off all at once. i consulted a psychophamacologist before and he said to be sure you are getting EFAs (from hemp, flax, blue green algae). he also told me i could take st. john’s wort to wean off an antidepressant. you have to take it 3x a day to get good results.

my two cents as far as diet…you are doing great but you will feel so much better without the coffee and soy. it is so dehydrating. add green juices or wheatgrass.

good luck. i hope to do the same someday (i’m still on a low dose of cymbalta).

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

hey there i am weaning off lexapro too. in the last 8 weeks i have gone to 1/2 a pill every other day. i am doing it slowly. i am eating 80-90% raw, and i quit coffee too ( that’s a biggie). Eat flax oil or flax seeds, as well as hemp seed s and or oil, as they contain omega-3 which can really help boost the mood. Udo Erasmus has a good book on this, which you can google. I can’t recommend eating enough omega-3’s enough—i think it’s critical.

Congrats on being 90%! I think going raw is a great way to get off meds. so far i haven’t noticed any ill effects, and when i do, i really try to be in the moment, be present, etc. please let us know how you’re doing as time passes!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i forgot to mention summer is a good time to do it. while the sun is out more.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Caffeine is one of the main causes/contributors to a lot of depression (refined sugar is another)! Giving that up could make a big difference all on its own…

• Oh boy, I definitely know what you mean about the caffeine… I had 2! cups of coffee today (didn’t sleep much last night and had 6 hours of class today).. and I felt AWFUL. Just jittery and all around yucky. I think coming off the caffeine “high” (without being on the medication my body is so used to) led to cravings for cooked food and binge eating tonight. I will definitely elminate coffee/caffeine from my diet, as I have seen such negative effects today. Thanks for the advice!

You’re welcome! It’s fun (or interesting, anyway) for me to learn about how different things affect me for better or worse! I’ll be thinking of you :) Green juices may help…

• It’s funny you should suggest green juices… I have been hesitant to ask about it because it seems such an integral part of a raw diet, yet I don’t juice at all. I only do green smoothies. Would it be worth it to buy a juicer and start adding green juices? How would it be different than green smoothies (aside from the lack of fiber??) Aren’t the benefits similar??

green juices get more nutrients into the cells more quickly when they don’t have to ride throught the digestive system with the fiber. Greens are very alkalizing and give the body more of what it really needs so it doesn’t crave the addictive substance. If you are doing green smoothies, you are definitely doing good for your body, but if you need extra help with depression, green juices are amazing! For me, it’s just easier to get a lot more nutrients into my cells with juices – I can only fit so much green smoothie into my tummy :) On the other hand, people sometimes do green smoothie feasts, drinking only green smoothies, or several green smoothies per day with maybe a little fresh fruit or veggies besides. Dr. Gabriel Cousens talks about green juice feasting (different from fasting) – drinking only green juices, a gallon or more per day with things like spirulina & chlorella added for calories, protein & blood sugar balance. I did one day (couldn’t afford that much fresh produce to do it for a month or more like he said), but it was GREAT!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

ejowett, my juicer has some parts broken but juicing basically aborbs faster and you feel amazing after drinking juice. if there is a juice bar in your area you can try out some different combos and see what you like. honestly if i had to buy i new juicer i would buy a wheatgrass juicer because wheatgrass is super good for you. luckily i have a health food store around the corner where i can get my fix. now keep in mind i also do green smoothies. i think fiber is so essential. so, basically, both juice and smoothies are great!

good luck detoxing off coffee. i did and felt AWFUL for at least a week. tired in the morning, headachy in the afternoon. so maybe sure to give yourself some TLC. but the juices should help with energy and drink lots of water if you get headaches.

keeping the caffeine detox in mind you may want to do one thing at a time so you can pace yourself. pick either caffeine to detox off first or the anti-depressant. pace yourself, once you are off caffeine for a few weeks you won’t ever need it again! :-)

• Try St Johns Wart, the naturopath should mix something for you.It does help. It works with the seratonin in the brain which makes you happier.

Try addressing what it is that really does make you upset.

xx