Family SAD Food Habits

Hey, I just moved back in with my family for the summer and possibly longer (my study abroad this fall in Thailand fell through), and they are very SAD. I’ve already begun the transition back to the dark side and it doesn’t help that the food is also lookin good to me. Isn’t it strange that as soon as you have a little cooked/ SAD food, ALL the SAD food looks good and you start to crave it?

I am hoping that some of you who live with conservative SADers can share some ways that you find are useful to stay strong with raw. I want to be raw, but I know that I will end up freaking my parents out because I became an unhealthy vegan before. My dad mentioned something about fad diets today, so I think my family has the impression that I diet jump a lot, rather than I try to improve lifestyle with vegetarianism, veganism, and now raw foodism.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

hi shrk_byte! to stay raw, here’s some great ideas: 1) remove yourself from family meals – take your food outside and have a delicious picnic! 2) read goneraw, recipes, and watch youtube raw videos, for inspiration 3) always keep delicious raw food on hand 4) keep snacks in your room (flax crackers, bowl of fruit, etc) so you don’t have to go near the cooked food too often. 5) and most important – try not to smell the food! i know that’s hard… but when folks are cooking, go out, or keep a fan on in your room and keep the door shut. if you don’t smell it, you don’t want it. 6) don’t preach about raw food, but occasionally offer something (delicious smoothie) if someone looks interested. i’ve never found a person that doesn’t love a cold fruit smoothie!! 7) keep lots of your raw food on hand

i’m the same way… if i have a little cooked, i eat too much of it. it’s better for me to stay raw.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

What if you didn’t have to tell your family that you’re a “raw foodist”? Just eat your fruits & veggies, & let them see how you feel. Most people know that eating fresh fruit & vegetables is healthy, anyhow. Having snacks & easy foods available is a great way to beat the addiction to foods you know aren’t good for your health – it just takes time and conscious effort, and you may find that this challenge is just what you need to give you firmer resolution for the future in all kinds of circumstances, even if it takes a while to get it down right now.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

hey i posted on this awhile ago but it’s erased! spooky!

anyhow, you don’t have to tell your family that you are raw. i just told my family i am eating “more raw food” and making things that are “easier” because they don’t involve cooking. make some fun salads that they can enjoy too. my husband made ani’s kale salad the other day for a picnic. no one would have thought about the raw part of it. it’s just another fun salad.

• It’s common to get that response that your dad has about a fad diet. But you can prove him wrong by sticking with it and showing the amazing changes a raw food diet can bring. There are so many crazy (illogical) diets out there that maybe your dad does just see it as one of the others. But like others have said, it’s common knowledge that we need more fruits, veggies, and greens. People are just starting to realize that nuts and seeds aren’t so bad. Continue on with that and avoid the SAD foods. It’s true that they are so addicting once you let them back into your life.

Another thing – -prepare some simple, wonderful raw foods that your family may enjoy too. This way you aren’t so isolated from them and they may learn more about how you are eating.

• It’s common to get that response that your dad has about a fad diet. But you can prove him wrong by sticking with it and showing the amazing changes a raw food diet can bring. There are so many crazy (illogical) diets out there that maybe your dad does just see it as one of the others. But like others have said, it’s common knowledge that we need more fruits, veggies, and greens. People are just starting to realize that nuts and seeds aren’t so bad. Continue on with that and avoid the SAD foods. It’s true that they are so addicting once you let them back into your life.

Another thing – -prepare some simple, wonderful raw foods that your family may enjoy too. This way you aren’t so isolated from them and they may learn more about how you are eating.