Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

quitting the site

i’d run into yet another cooked food recipe on the site and was about to leave a comment for the recipe, reminding yet another author that this was a raw food site when i realized i was repeating myself yet again.

i have no idea why on earth anyone would submit a cooked food recipe to a raw food site. or why other people interested in raw food would be adamantly in favor of cooked food recipes on a raw food recipe site. i do know that that’s not what i’m interested in. there are plenty of sites out there where i can peruse through raw and cooked food recipes, ignoring the cooked food recipes. i don’t visit those. i go to the raw food recipe sites so i don’t have to take those extra steps.

that said, apparently gone raw isn’t just for raw food recipes. and there are enough raw food recipe sites out there where raw means raw. not boiled, baked, or heated above 118 degrees F.

i might suggest changing the home page to reflect the fact cooked food recipes are allowed and even encouraged.

Comments

• Patience (with others especially) is a virtue.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

sojourner, I don’t understand why you don’t just skip the recipes that aren’t raw? If your referring to non-raw extras like maple syrup, spices, etc, these are commonly used in raw food and they cannot be avoided. Which recipe are you thinking of right now that isn’t raw?

It isn’t worth quitting the site for that. If anything, I would quit because of the slowness, not the raw food recipes not being completely raw! And even then, I wouldn’t rush to quit because of the slowness.

PS the temperature at which enzymes are killed is 114, not 118.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Please hang in there sojourner :) Here’s some raw food for thought ;) ...maybe the person posting the recipe has not learned the lessons of low temperature and it takes an experienced person like you to maybe help them realize that they are not keeping things raw by heating it to that temp and learn how to make their meal healthier? That might be my guess, unless it was a person just posting an uncooked recipe to raise the hair on our necks ;) From what I’ve found goneraw seems to have less cooked meals posted than raw and I do like the friendliness and helpfulness of everyone on the forums here. Hope you feel better about it, sounds like you could really encourage people on making their recipes raw instead of cooked…great to have that knowledge and wisdom…

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i made a post a while back about the “100%” catagory on the recipes. at the very least this needs to be corrected, its obviously a technical glitch, i click the catagory and one recipe comes up that isn’t even close to being raw. i’ve put several recipes in this catagory and they do not show up.

personally i don’t worry about the non raw ingredients that are sometimes listed, i just find a substitute. but an accurate 100% catagory should keep everyone happy.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Hey Sojourner,

Do you mean the recipes that contain some cooked ingredients as RKC was saying? Or the ones that suggest blanching something as part of the process? Or have you found like a Potroast recipe or somethin’ on here somewhere?

I get good ideas from all kinds of recipes. I even get ideas from the ingredient lists on packaged meals or bottles of seasoning sauces when I am at the store. It’s fun to figure out the raw substitutions for the cooked stuff. (RKC – I can avoid them easily.)

GoneRaw clearly states that it is a site for Raw Vegan Recipes. Fortunately, the site owners are not BigBrother and don’t police what we post.

Unfortunately The word ‘Raw’ in ‘Raw Vegan’ is not viewed quite the same as the word ‘Vegan’ is. If someone posted a recipe on a Vegan recipe site that contained 2 out of 6 animal ingredients, imagine the reaction it would get. People would be screaming!

The term ‘Raw’ has become noting more than a reference to the ‘raw lifestyle’. It’s not unlike when someone says they are a ‘Vegetarian’ because they don’t eat Red Meat and instead opt for mostly chicken and fish. In their mind they are ‘Vegetarian’ and they are proud to be one. I’m cool with this kind of thing when I meet a chicken eatin’ Veggie. I am glad that they want to feel like part of our special group.

A large portion of ‘Raw Vegans’ eat only 70% or more Raw foods and don’t mind the odd cooked item in a raw recipe. This site serves the Raw masses, not just those who are 100%. It is good that we all can be free to post the recipes that we each like.

Also there are many who intend to be 100% at some point yet are still in transition. Many of these folks probably have not gotten good at making 100% Raw recipes. I imagine that they appreciate the simplicity of using Braggs or Nutritional yeast to make their food taste good.

Sorry you are bummed about this, but you’d get a better result if you stayed around and kept posting and commenting. Who knows, maybe someday, Raw will mean Raw.

Lovebows, Chris

ps: I also wish the 100% link would work. I have amended all my recipes to include the term in the tags.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Yeah, I have not seen any purely cooked recipes on here – if you do email Ray and Kandace about having it removed.

Can you reference one? I think I remember seeing one a while ago but I thing it was removed.

If you are talking about those raw recipes with certain “questionable” ingredients – well, i am afraid you are going to find recipes like that on other raw boards too. Good luck finding a completely “pure” site – honestly I don’t think there are any. If it bothers you, than don’t use those ingredients or don’t make that recipe.

If you talking about the recommended temps for dehydrateing – well, you will find a LOT of debate about that in the raw world. What is the highest temp really? Some say 95 degrees, some say 150 degrees. Cafe Gratitude dehydrates for the first hour at 145 than drops it to 118. Think about this too – dates grow in areas where the outside temp can go up to 140 degrees – does that still make them raw? Raw foodists still eat them. As far as dehydrating temps goes – you can always adjust the recipe for your own preferred temp – so simple. Mine is not over 120. Although I have done the 145 for the first hour thing for my crackers.

Yes, give the new comers some slack. Here is a funny story: My bf once went to raw potluck where a newbie brought raw cake batter as their potluck dish. It wasn’t a raw batter with raw ingredients to make a raw cake, oh no – it was a BOXED raw cake batter (like Betty Crocker)- like the sort you buy at the store. She thought the cake batter was considered to be raw because it wasn’t cooked yet! That was sure an awkward moment for the raw foodists to have to explain to her and I am sure the lady was quite embarassed too!

Point being – she really didn’t know what RAW really was yet- Although now she does! :)

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

sojourner and all,

Cooked recipes are not encouraged on this website, no way (nor are non-vegan recipes). We’ve worked hard to keep the integrity of our recipes and have taken down a number of cooked food recipes or raw dairy/meat recipes. Unfortunately, there seem to be waves on non-raw recipes posted and we do our best to take down any cooked recipes we are aware of; we are definitely interested in having only raw, vegan recipes on the site. Usually, these don’t come from core members, but rather from individuals selling products within the recipes. If you do see a recipe that isn’t raw, you can always write one of us with the link. We try to read over every recipe that gets posted, but do miss them here and there.

That said, as Chris and others pointed out, there are a number of ingredients that you will find in raw recipe books and forums (agave, maple syrup, etc) that are not raw and still used in moderation in recipes. We do allow these to be posted.

However, we recognize the need to be able to separate these, but do not want to hover over or police the sharing that happens here. The 100% category is a wonderful idea. Trouble is, a category name with a number in it will show that recipe number (for example, the 100% category currently shows recipe #100 posted to the site). We need to think of a word that can be used instead, such as one-hundred-percent. Or, can anyone think of something shorter? Once you start adding this tag, then the category will begin to show up.

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

how about “purely raw?”

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Well, I think it would have to be hyphenated “purely-raw” or underscored “purely_raw”. I like it… better than “all-raw”

Since electricity_free and nut_free are underscored, I think “purely_raw” should also be underscored.

With that, is ‘sea salt’ (as an ingredient) raw?

How about just the word ‘pure’ or ‘allraw’. We only have to decide and start using the same term in our tags and then spread the word.

Let’s decide in this thread.

• I think that’s a smart way to deal with it.

I’m all for the category, especially if we have some clear thoughts on what would fall into the category. I’d recommend using the dead food list as our measuring stick for whether a recipe falls within this category or not.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Hey Chris, that was really well stated. I think recipes using maple syrup or spices are common in raw food and cannot be avoided.

How about “Completely Raw” which would indirectly be saying no cooked recipes while not sounding mean. I also really like “Pure”

• I think everyones comments/opinions have merit here. I completely respect sojourners opinion on the fact that this is a raw food site. That being said, my wife and I are not 100% raw but still transitioning, and this site gives us so much support, inspiration, and information, that I cant imagine my raw “lifestyle” without it. The fact that no one is judgemental or “extreme” is another reason why we love the site. We dont know if we will ever make it to 100% raw, but this site and the people here make that goal seem achievable. Maybe to help with new people joining, a mission statement or definition on the home page along with a link to the dead list would be a great benchmark for those who would otherwise post recipes/information not in alignment with the sites philosophy. But as for me, the biggest turn on to this site is its acceptance, tolerance, and understanding.. three things in short supply in todays mainstream world. Kandace and Ray-keep up the great work, and to Chris and Zoe..Ditto!

I vote for ‘Pure’. It’s easy and short and we don’t have to worry about dashes or underscores. It won’t be a common word in the descriptions of other recipes so it would stand out to the search program more. (correct me if I wrong here Ray)

Lovebows, Chris

ps: Great cake batter story QF.

Let’s do it! Pure. And, start tagging…

I started a thread about our new tag PURE. It’s got a bit more info…

http://www.goneraw.com/forums/2/topics/6407

Lovebows, Chris

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I beleive i did see a few recipes using non-raw ingredients and calling for the recipe to be heated on the stovetop or in the oven… I’m not sure if this is what you might be referring to, but i do recall seeing a couple like this.

I know this isn’t really in regards to the topic, but you know what would be useful? If we were able to search for recipes by inputting ingredients… I know that before i began on my raw food journey, i would use sites (such as www.allrecipes.com) that would allow you to input your ingredient and it would bring up any and all recipes containing that recipe. I know there is a category for Jicama, but I always find that i have leftover ingredients and not quite sure what i can make with all the ingredients… just a suggestion :)

Thanks, Chris – way to take the initiative!!!

carrie6292 – If you see a heated recipe and have time, do send us the link. Recipes such as this would not be kept live on the site. Many thanks!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

No problem Kandace, but how do i sent it to you? It’s been a while, but i do recall seeing a few (which, i just ignored). Thanks!

• Just a remark: some electric ovens have a 50 degrees celsius setting, which is normally used for defrosting. If I leave the door open and/or put a fan in front of the oven door, it is even less which may be considered raw.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I have seen and read on a few of my raw food videos and websites where people do warm things in a pot on a stove, stirring constantly and never ever allowing it to warm more than just slightly warm to touch or they use a thermometer to keep it below 108

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

this was pretty frustrating for me at first. because i didn’t know anything about raw and i was off buying the wrong ingredients for supposedly all raw recipes. now i know better but it would have saved me some aggravation and wasted money.

• FortuneFortune Raw Newbie

Ok, so how do I quit the site? I thought that question would be answered in this post....

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i think you just stop commenting. at least that's what i would do. maybe go to "edit" when you look at your profile and don't accept the "terms and conditions."

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I will post a quick little something something to revive this topic a bit. I admit I have joined other sites and spend more time with them do to finding it hard to navigate through all the Non Raw business around here.

I think its fine that people are not 100% and totally respect that BUT this is a RAW website. It's hard to see so many clearly non raw food items people bring up. Cant it be saved for another site? They should also join a Vegan website I know I can just skip them but its frustrating to have to skim through them. The same thing goes with seeing the same thread over and over again. "Help me be raw for one day" . It's hard to see. I love helping people and coaching people but it gets hard to do. It seem as if there is little to NO research done prior to asking questions.

I respect quiet a few peoples opinions around here and I know they are not 100% BUT I have yet to see them post non raw questions and such. They are very respectful and understand this is a RAW website. But unfortunately thats only a handful.

opinions!?

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

I tend to agree with you, and I'm one of those that are not 100% raw, but it's by my own choosing after many years of finding a balance that works for me and not because I just can't do it. So, on the other hand, I can totally understand people's struggle to only make it for one day, one week, one month... And, when I started on my raw journey over 5 years ago I didn't know diddily (lol is that really a word??) squat other than I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and realized it had something to do with the food I was eating, so if it wasn't for a couple Raw foodies that took me under their wing, I probably would have been just as clueless. I don't really know what the right answer is other than maybe those questions being posted ONLY in the New to Raw section. I do know that, for me, I would rather have someone that is sincerely looking for help come here where there is so much more knowledge and it's all very well thought out and researched compared to other forums I have seen (like the one where I was heckled for saying MSG was not good for you! Hello!!) and get the help they need. I guess, for me, it comes down to the motivation behind the (especially the non-raw) posts...do they really not understand it's not part of the raw diet? are they just trying to find "justification" for still eating a junky diet...I guess in essence...why are they asking what they are asking...What if this is someone's only resource for an introduction to the raw lifestyle? And, what about people that are transitioning?? Some jump in with both feet, others start by just eating one raw meal at a time...not that I'm suggesting that there be a cooked food section, or anything even close to that...I love that this site is dedicated to the raw lifestyle.. I guess I just don't know where to draw the line at of what's acceptable and what's not. I really don't know what the happy medium is, but I also am not 100% raw so maybe I'm just not at the frustration level of one who is or is trying to be as a specific goal, and has to weed through the kinds of posts like you've mentioned. LOL, so, I guess, to make a long, babbling post short...I don't know what my opinion is!!

Maybe have a clear set of guidelines about what is allowed to be asked and what is not and maybe a group of moderators (goneraw members that have been part of the site for awhile and have proven themselves knowledgeable about the raw lifestyle) that are willing to do the "weeding" after a question is posted... i.e. one or two moderators per forum topic... just thinking a loud...