Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

blackheads!!!

Yes, that’s right people…. The dreaded B word!

I have searched all the forums and have found nothing about blackheads. I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on this topic. I am 27 but have had blackheads all over my nose and some of my T section since about 12 years old. I have vivid images of my brother trying to squeeze them when I was young!!! Hmmm, not a nice memory. Anyhow, I’ll keep it short as my story can be quite long winded. I am not 100% raw but believe I am about 80-90%. I turned vegan 3 months ago however have had some major hiccups along the way due to family pressure and week long family events which, coming from a greek family, my new found eating has not been welcome. I have, however, not eaten meat for 1 year (not including fish- fish has only been consumed when pressured by family). I have blackheads all over my nose, however, they have improved drastically since eliminating all sugar and grains apart from quinoa and occasionally rice when needed or unavoidable. I have read all the posts on the miracle of coconut oil and have started using it for the first time externally in today, however have been cooking with it for months (not so much now as I rarely eat cooked food). I also put it in all my smoothies.

Can anyone help on this topic. I am so embarrassed about them, and have been since my early teens. They truly effect my self confidence and the love of one’s self.

Lastly, I feel I have tried everything under the sun to fix this and feel I need a miracle to cure me.

Comments

• Hi hi

Just thought I’d bring this to the front of the active forums again as I haven’t heard any whispers of hope yet, however there have been lots of views. It would be great even just to hear other people experiences or stories regarding the dreaded black dot! I hope to create some interest soon.

Thanks again.

• Cucumbers are amazing for your skin. I eat 1/day, usually in a smoothie. If you read David Wolfe’s Eating for Beauty, he lists other foods that are good for your skin. Also, try varying your fat sources- flax, chia, avocados and coconut (all in moderation) have fatty acids that are amazing for your skin. I do think, however, that low fat diets will get you results faster than a higher fat diet. Hope this helps somewhat. Also, what products are you using on your face daily and weekly?

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

What if you went for a professional facial, or have you talked with a dermatologist to see if there is a way to get rid of them that does not involve chemicals? Have you tried dry skin brushing with a facial natural brush? The only time that my pores seemed to improve in my past was when I was using something from the dermatologist which, of course, is not natural. I wonder about those adhesive strips that you stick to your face and pull off, which is supposed to remove blackheads? Theoretically, if you removed the blackhead and then treated your face with natural foods, like papaya (which is supposed to be the best internally and externally for cleansing) or raw honey, it might help, but I don’t know other than my using non-natural products.

• What I’ve found has helped my skin to dry up certain blemishes is spirulina. For over-all skin smoothness, broccoli has worked well for me. You could try making a smoothie with these two ingredients, adding a bit of fruit or other veggie which goes well with them (you could get some combination ideas from the recipe section).

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Hi all,

I am a qualified beauty therapist, aromatherapist, reflexologist, etc and make my own aromatherapy skin care products etc and have always been on the lookout for a blackhead miracle even before I took my qualifications. What I have learned (through studying anatomy & physiology etc) is that sadly once a pore is stretched, it’s stretched. It is a myth that pores ‘open’ and ‘close’ as they dont have muscles.They can soften and you can encourage sweating etc with heat which will assist in blackhead (or comedone – their proper name) removal. Even if you go and have a ‘blackhead removing’ facial they will still basically heat the skin, by steaming or a warm compress, and ‘ease’ them out with gentle squeezing with a tissue wrapped roung fingertips. This is what I do every so often and it will stop them getting bigger and clear them up now and then. But they will re-fill. a blackhead is sebum/ sweat/dirt mixture which goes black because it has oxydised. Be aware of now using anything too hot as it will damage the capilleries or force anything that doesnt want to go, to avoid scarring. And just keep it really clean. Coconut oil is amazing, its very similar to sebum so helps to mix with it and remove as much of the old stuff as poss, I use it, on its own, warm it up, rub it gently around and remove with warm sponges/flannel – keep them clean too. I dont use makeup on them any more but I do go back through my little ‘removal’ regime when necessary. It does get worse when I’m in a hot country or if I skip it. Give it a go, I hope this helps and sorry to be unable to give a mirale cure but I dont think it exists (but would love to be proved wrong!) my pores have got better since raw so good luck, you’re doing the best you can do! I havent spell checked this so apologies for any typos!

Janace
  • TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

I agree Cucumbers are amazing. I had a large amount of blackheads too and i started dry brushing my face (via- Tonya Vasta, great book!) twice a day and using coconut oil. I still have af ew that linger but over all there has been much improvement :) Dry brushing also feels wonderfful. David wolfes book eating for beauty is a wonderful book and gives you good pointers for skin care…... I hope it works out for you :)

• Hi hi,

Thank you to all of you that have replied. It’s been great reading all the responses.

Kathrynintheraw: I too have been having a cucumber a day for some time now. I have been drinking 1-2 green smoothies a day and I am consuming coconut oil, flax and avo’s daily (not all, but at least one a day). When I do use products, I use a herb mixture of marshmallow, Indian corn, Gotu Kala, Echinacea, lavender and clay. It’s a powder and I mix it with a balm made up of organic wildcrafted chamomile, beewax and natural vit E. It normally works well but I have stopped using it everyday and it doesn’t work well with the water in my area. The area in Germany where I’m living has highly calcified water and dries everything out. For some reason this mix doesn’t work as well as it did when I was living in Melb Australia. It sounds like the david wolfe book is a must. Thanks for the recommendation. I have to admit though, NOTHING has worked as well as turning almost 100% raw vegan. It’s amazing. I have so much energy. Just for fun, yesterday I did a hardcore fitness/boot camp class for 2 hours which meant I was literally showering in my own sweat. After it finished I still had so much energy that I ran twice around the 800m track outside. CRAZY!

Rawmama: I’ve aready been to 3 dermo’s and all they wanted to do was give me a lotion to rub on it. They said there was nothing I could do other than take medication. I walked promptly out of there and threw all perscription’s in the bin. I hate taking medications. I’ve also tried the adhesive strips but they have not helped. Thanks for the papaya recommendation. I will definitely give that one a go. Thanks heaps. YAY!

whitewine: Thank you for your suggestion. I am having broc daily in my smoothies but have not yet tried spirulina. I will give that one a try too.

clr-1976: The dreaded truth of blackheads!!! I can’t believe such pesky little this are unable to be cured!! Thanks for your advice. I am currently trying the coconut oil on my face. It is working a lot better than the mixture of herbs I described earlier. Ha….5 euro compared to $100 australian dollars! and the cheaper one is better. I just hope they start to lessen as I grow older.

Tzefira: I think I will up the cucumber. This week i have already gone through 5…whoops! I have started to dry brush recently but have heard it is not good for the face. I will look at the book you have recommended.

Thank you to all of you for your friendly and kind advice. I feel there is some hope at least in lessening the blackness. At the moment I am unable to work due to my current location in Germany, so while my partner brings in the ‘raw’ bacon (ha), I have plenty of time to try all the suggestions with great care. Thanks once again for all your help. Zoe.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

i dont know why but oil pulling greatly improved my skin…..

• Hi omshanti,

What’s oil pulling?

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

I am over 50 and have tried many treatments over the years .

One doctor put me on a tetracycline type drug which I believe wrecked my gut and did nothing.

Another doctor said it was acne rosacea, it was mainly my nose,and I am now trying a lotion which I think is the best I have tried.

I have tried most of the remedies mentioned,but had to resort to a script only product.

Not the best,but I am still after all these years very self conscious of my blackhead nose and have to add that some days it seemed swollen and looked bigger.

Good luck with what ever you try..

• LotusLoverLotusLover Raw Newbie

Warm water with apple cider vinegar as a scrub.

tamberlee
  • alessandralalessandral Raw Newbie

I think Honey has antibacterial property and can repair skin effectively.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I tried everything under the sun and what it came down to was taking a few minutes every morning and night to absorb the oil completely with a dry towel (in addition to a regular cleaning routine). If there is no oil, there is nothing to clog the pores. 

• tamberleetamberlee Raw Newbie

I agree with lutuslover - Drink lots of Water!!! Your skin will become more hydrated and loosen up. Also, regular exfoliation is a MUST with black heads, I have found. I too get them badly on my nose, t-zone, and chin. I am not one to like a lot of cleansers used on my skin, as I am very sensitive. I use a buffing cloth that exfoliates, just with water.

Has anyone found the perfect balance of moisture? I'm either a little too oily or a little too dry. I prefer the latter if I have to choose between the two, but I'm worried that dry skin will turn into wrinkles in the long run. 

• Energy HealerEnergy Healer Raw Newbie

HI there! Try doing a sauna several times a week...

ClaireT
  • HelenGreeneHelenGreene Raw Newbie

Use honey and cinnamon or try egg mask or try turmeric and mint juice.

TammiTrue
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

How do you use the honey?

• travisbtravisb Raw Newbie

Egg whites mask works wonders IMO, have triedtongue-out

Just whisk the whites and apply on your face. Then cover it with paper towels. Apply another layer of whisked egg whites on it and let it dry.

Once dried, take off the paper towels and your blackheads will vanish.

ClaireT

I was reading about the egg white mask the other day but chickened (no pun intended) out at the thought of raw egg. 

travisb
  • travisbtravisb Raw Newbie

I understand, I'm not particularly proud of it, but I've tried that and it does seem to work.

What you can do is mix 4 tablespoon of gelatins and 1 table spoon of milk. Heat it in the microwave for like 20 seconds. It will become a paste. Now apply it on your face and let it dry. Once dried, peel it off.

Ok, so I haven't tried this one. Its just I asked my sister once and she forwarded me the link to this blog.

TammiTrueClaireT
  • AshleybennetAshleybennet Raw Newbie

Hi, 

I think that cucumber and warm compress can help you overcome this problem. The warmth of water aims to boost the blood circulation and bring more blood. You will see that swelling as well as painful feeling is going to be wiped soon. This cure should be applied from one to two days for better look. 

Cucumber is mey next suggestion for your blackheads because it is totally safe and  contains many essential compounds. Alos, vitamin K in cucumber can help improve the blood flow as well. My experience is putting some cucumbers it the fridge for 10 minutes and then cut them into smaller slices. Put those slices on your eyes and you should follow this treatment in 10 minutes every morning and might. 

ClaireTanniestk
  • susanrsusanr Raw Newbie

I found these home remedies at so many different locations online and decided to put them together.

1. The egg white mask

2. Honey and milk pore strips

3. Cinnamon and honey strips

• daronfdaronf Raw Newbie

You can try baking soda to remove your blackheads. I think it is the best home remedy to get rid of blackheads fast.

• SararaSarara Raw Newbie

Honey is a wonderful creation. It is true that you can use honey to get rid of blackheads as well as cleanse your pores.

Have a look at two methods in which you can use honey for your skin:

1. Raw Honey

• Apply Honey to your face such that it is evenly distributed all over your face.
    • Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
    • Then wash your face gently with warm water. You can also use a cloth dipped in warm water to clean your face.

2. Cinnamon and Honey

• Make a paste from Honey and Cinnamon.
    • You may use 2-3 tablespoons of Honey and a teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder to make this paste.
    • Apply this paste on your blackheads before you sleep at night.
    • Let it rest overnight.
    • Pat your face dry after you wash this off in the morning.

The benefits of honey are amazing. Honey is found in almost all of our homes, and everyone should definitely take advantage of this golden liquid.

• VanessaEvansVanessaEvans Raw Newbie

You can get them removed at a salon. Once in 3 months along with a cleansing/ facial should work.

• wjmdjjwjmdjj Raw Newbie

I'm the same as you.I used the blackhead removal tool to removed it, finally I love this blackhead removal tool so so much!!And it is the best blackhead removal tool I even used.Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/CIELLULU-Blackhead-Electric-Cleaning-Suitable/dp/B07G3RJ9JD
    The CIELLULU blackhead removal is a beauty apparatus with clean the pores,suck the acne and oil and other functions.The most powerful thing is that it has The 4 probes and 4 power levels that are given to you are designed to cope with your different skin situation.
    All in all, this is a very worthwhile product to buy and use, the effect is remarkable!