Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

trying to lose weight but I'm gaining

HELP. I have been 100% raw for 3 1/2 weeks now. The first week I lost 8 pounds. Since then I have gained 2 back. The first week I ate raw without any guidelines. But since then I have been following Alissa Cohen’s book. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. I NEED to lose another 15 pounds. The same thing is happening to my sister who went raw about 2 weeks ago. But my boyfriend who doesn’t want to lose weight but went raw with me IS losing weight! Any suggestions as to where I am going wrong with this?

Comments

• Try to reduce the amount of nuts if you eating too many of them, also check out for any salty ingredients it may be water retention. If that doesn’t work just try simple meals for a week or two and see what happens.

• try variations of the green smoothies and up the exercise. I find that I have an infinite amount of energy to get about 2-3 hours of exercise done a day. GOOD LUCK.

• Thanks to both of your suggestions. I have been trying to watch the amount of nuts I eat. I do work a lot of hours and try to get at least an hour of exercise in but by the time I do that it’s bedtime. I’ll keep working on it. Thanks agian. I wonder if food combining has anything to do with it?

• Hi yescathyis – I think it is normal for your weight to fluctuate….it could be based on what your eating. If you started out with lighter foods your body will naturally be lighter, but if you have nuts in your system they will weigh you down a bit.

Another thing could be eliminations (sorry to sound gross), but if your body has started to detoxify itself and you are not eliminating enough this could add the weight back on. Colonics or enemas are great for getting out all of the old toxins as we start to detox. (Toxins = fat….this is why when we eat raw foods, detoxify and loose weight, fat and cellulite goes away!)

I agree with zochen also. Green Smoothies provide a great amount of energy and are very filling. I often have one for lunch and it carries me through til dinner.

Good Luck!

• Thanks so much. I started thinking if I had changed what I was eating since that first week. And I did have a green drink for breakfast everyday which I stopped doing! I’m for sure going back to the green drink!!!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I think you gave the answer in your post – The first week you ate raw with no guidelines – that has always worked for me to feel the best, & my weight has naturally stabilized, although I was eating for health & letting my excess everything go away – I think I just solved a question/problem I was going to ask; I just need to eat raw with no guidelines. Which is what I already knew instinctively, but I’ve become overwhelmed with dietary “advice” – simple raw is the answer! Thank you for posting this question & helping me figure out how to de-complicate my health :)

• I would have to agree with JoyceH. Alissa Cohen’s book is mainly for transitioners, although you are still sort of transitioning. I would suggest trying to eat lighter foods such as fruits and vegetables. Try to replace nuts with seed when possible. Also try to eat only one type of fat a day-this really helps me. For example, if I have avocado on my salad I try not to eat any other type of fat for the rest of the day because it takes different enzymes to digest the different fats, and also when there is more variety there is a bigger chance of overindulging. Then the next day try to eat a different type of fat and get variety over a week or so instead of all in one day. Oh yeah, and green smoothies are amazing!!! Green smoothies in combination with Billy Blanks Tae Bo Amped workout is sure to help you lose weight! I hope this helped. Best of luck!

Also, a lot of nuts that are labeled & sold as raw are really not raw, because they have been heated somewhere – dried at high temps, steamed so they’ll come out of the shell nicely, etc. I feel I digest the really raw nuts better: hazelnuts, walnuts & pinenuts are raw if they say it. Others you have to order specially online, or buy almonds unpasteurized from the farms in California.

• I can’t believe all the help! You guys are great! And I got to help Angie by posting my own question, that felt good. You know I did feel good doing my own thing but I thought it would be best to follow someone who has been raw for a long time. I wanted to make sure I was doing it all correctly. But you’re right her recipes are so full of nuts.

Someone who has been raw for a long time has usually been successful because she did her own thing :)

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

My solution, “I have decided to follow someones who did their own things” :))

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Have a GREEN SMOOTHIE everyday!!! :D

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

I found that eating a side plate of radishes (especially with dinner – whatever it is that you are having) has been really helping me to keep the belly fat down/off. I wake up feeling “lean and thin” instead of “thick” – if that makes sense.

Also – check out the recipe for Cauliflower Couscous on this site – another cruciferous that somehow keeps ya’ slim.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Hey, Tiny1! I do Billy Blank’s Tae Bo workouts too! He is so awesome. I love his energy when I’m working out. His workouts are really good and they really work! Oh, and ditto to what a few other people said. Green smoothies are the way to go.