Real Cream Cheese

My question is about this recipe:

http://goneraw.com/recipes/1358-Real-Cream-Cheese

I made a small amount of this (1 cup of nuts). My mixture was very thick and instead of wrapping it in cheesecloth I packed it into a glass jar with a coffee filter on top, secured by a rubber band. Two days later, I found some mold growing on top. Ewww.

Anyway, I skimmed off the top later and tested the cheese. It’s just fine, and if I don’t die from the first sample I’ll eat the rest :).

Now I’m wondering how to avoid the mold when I make this recipe again. The main question is whether the cheeze needs to breathe or not. I mean, does it need contact with air? If not, I think I’d put it in one of those vacuum food storage containers and suck the air out. Another thought is to cover with a layer of oil so bubbles could come out but air and wild spores won’t contact the cheeze.

Does anybody know anything?

Thanks!

Susan

Comments

• OK … here’s some followup. Nothing bad happened after the first sample. The stuff is good, and it’s getting more sour in the fridge. I’m still wondering about how to avoid the mold though. Any ideas?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Ewwww, gross! The reason I don’t use probiotics… I’m afraid to spoil my food.

Try covering with plastic wrap to keep it from oxidizing in those areas… but you may still need to scrape some mold off. But, don’t take my word for this… I’ve never done this… and it’s just a guess.