Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Okay, so queenfluff says to go no 'poo.....

nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

and i was thinking last night that i might try it. I was thinking, okay, i needed this strong shampoo before going raw because my hair was soooo oily and always has been. But maybe, now that i am raw, i am losing hair in part because the shampoo is too harsh for my body (even though it’s natural organic shampoo) and my body is trying to tell me it can handle my hair itself…...

i know there’s a ‘poo thread somewhere, but I can’t find it. Does someone have a link to it, and/or wants to share their no ‘poo experience?

I swaer, 2 days without ‘poo and my hair is going to be a nasty oil slick and my scalp will break out…okay, that’s negative thinking LOL…..my hair will be LUSH AND LUXURIOUS!!! :)

Comments

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i don’t know about your hair, but mine is longer than waist length and wavy, i could never imagine going longer than 2 days without washing it with shampoo! i can’t imagine getting through all that hair with just water.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

My hair was gross and nasty after a week of no shampoo. I took 1-2 Tbsp of flaxseed oil for 2 weeks (my stomach couldn’t take it after a while so I reduced the amount). I was told the oily-ness was my body trying to “over-grease” my scalp because it has been used to doing that for a long time since shampoo strips oils from the scalp. And, the flaxseed would reduce the clogging of the pores and reduce hair fallout.

Wash, wash, wash your hair every morning so it is not too oily during the day.

Now, my hair isn’t that oily… but I also don’t eat fat the way I used to (all cooked).

Here is the post you were probably looking for: To shampoo or not to shampoo?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Wash your hair 1-2 times a day with water.. really get in there with your fingers and scrub. once a week i apply 1 lemon juice (fresh) to my scalp, leave it for 10 min, and rinse (it doesn’t sting at all – it’s gentle) it removes the grease. DONE! that’s all the care needed. my hair is 4 inches past my shoulders and thick. i haven’t washed for two months, and it’s cleaner and less oily than when i used shampoo.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

If anyone has any doubt about whether or not this works on long thick hair, check out this woman’s hair.

http://www.sunfoodpages.com/forum/ultimatebb.ph…

(scroll down towards the bottom to see Raw Ipharadisi’s picture – see how beautiful and clean her hair is!)

This woman convinced me to give no poo a try. (that is me “purrgirl” on that thread). Once I saw her hair, I had no doubt. Granted my hair isn’t that long or blonde or thick. But that is my goal – to have long thick hair like that.

When you first start no poo, it WILL be rough at the beginning. You will want to break down and shampoo. Just keep up with the rinses and use things like Winona suggested like lemon. I use sea salt rinse on my hair in the beginning and that worked good for me. There are several different things you can do to cut the oiliness that is not shampoo. There was a time when shampoo didn’t exist – how did people keep their hair clean? Herbs, water – there are a few plant that are excellent soap substitutes. Ocean water is excellent for cleaning hair. There are also rinses you can use occasionally to remove build up too.

Take a look at a new born babies hair. Look at how clean it is. And it stays that way until someone starts to shampoo it – than it gets oilier and constant shampooing becomes necessary.

I will be happy to help if you have any questions. Alot of the beginning period of no poo is really just to tough it out until the oil production ceases. It is just a fact that you are going to look a bit gross for a while. Get out those hats, scarves and hair ties!

Yes, there is alot of info in the shampoo or not to shampoo thread. I know it is long but lots of people were posting their experiences and the different things they tried there. You might find it helpful to skim through it.

There are also several other forum devoted to no poo.

here is one: http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo/

Just do a search for no ‘poo – you will be surprised at how many forums and articles there are on it.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

thnak you so much—i am on day 2 of no poo and it’s not AWFUL. My hiar feels greasy, but not nearly as bad as i thought. I will definitely try the lemon—great idea1!!!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

lol, I remember when I first stopped shampooing. My mom said she was going to force me to shampoo if my hair kept looking so sick. lol

• Will the lemon lighten my hair color?

spider – Lemon will lighten the hair color if you pour it directly on the hair and sit out in the sun with it on for a looong time. If you are asking if it will lighten your hair by just using it to remove the oilies than no – Lemon needs the power of the sun to lighten. Lemon can dry your hair out though so I wouldn’t recommend using it too much. I would try to keep it away from the ends of the hair since those are the oldest parts of your hair and therefore, the dryest.

I am on day 6 and my hair is FINE!!! I do have to rinse it twice a day, and I’ve used baking soda rinse and ACV once each during that time, but otherwise, it’s not NEARLY as bad as I thought it would be…and would you figure??? My hair isn’t falling out anymore!!! It could be the hair supplement I have been taking, but it could also be the no poo. Either way, I’ll take it!! :)

Thank you queenfluff—I seriously thought you were nuts to suggest it, but now I think you’re one smart cookie!

nycgrrl – isn’t it weird? I have way less fallout too on no poo. Before, I used to have a strand or two come out when I ran my fingers through my hair – no more only when I comb and there is really no hair in the shower drain – maybe a few strands now and then. I think it is because the sebum protects hair and makes it strong. My gues is it is the no poo more than the supplement – supplements can take a while to work esp on hair loss. I am so glad it is working for you. Does your hair feel better too? Stronger and less dry?

well my hair was never dry LOL-it’s always been SOOO oily! But if i rinse it twice a day and use some baking soda and acv 2 x a week, it’s dealable. Hopefully, it will get even better!

Your at the first week which is a the worst for oilines so it can’t get anything but better. Let us know how it is after two weeks. I had oiliness at the roots and dryness static at the ends.

Don’t you have dry ends? You didn’t mention whether your hair was long or short.

• What’s ACV?

• Lauren1982 ACV stand for apple cider vinegar

• thanks Majomi, that seems so obvious now that you said it =)

queenfluff—i have hair that is about an inch above my shoulders. I want to grow it out LONG so i am hoping no ‘poo will make my hair healthier and grow faster :)

Tomorrow will be day 7 of no poo, and it’s not bad, although it definitely feels “heavy” and weighed down. Ugh, I don’t know if I can do this another week though! I am going to try!

No i don’t have dry ANYthing when it comes to my hair!!

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

I have been no ‘poo’ for almost 3 months, but it is starting to irritate me. A bunch of hair falls out everytime I brush it. Any ideas why this is? I love how it feels, and I like not having to hassle with it, but I love my long hair, and I don’t want it to all fall out!

• NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

I’ve been thinking about doing this since I am still having hair loss issues. I am currently using shampoo only twice a week and the days I don’t use shampoo I use a conditioner since my hair is so dry.

For those of you who use apple cider vinegar does the smell bother you? I tried it once and I just couldn’t stand the smell.

I use lemon instead of ACV. ACV does smell a bit strong, agreed. Lemon works beautifully! Use the juice of 1/2 a lemon 1-2 times a week, pour it on dry hair and wait 10 minutes then rinse. nuttgirl – try going no poo! it’s FANTASTIC. my hair has never looked better.

southernlover – I still lost an average amount of hair at the beginning of no poo. Don’t forget that hair still sheds in cycle. I have times where I have a little bit more hair than I would like in a comb but it isn’t anything I worry about. My hair doesn’t feel or seem any thinner. If you feel your is dramatically thinner than I would look at your diet. Are you getting all the good raw hair foods? At the beginning of this thread I posted a link to another thread that I listed a bunch of foods to start eating for good hair.

There is no way I can think of that no poo would cause hair loss. If you are keeping your scalp clean and your hair doesn’t feel weak than it could be that you are missing some vital hair nutrients. Hemp seeds have almost all the nutrients needed for good hair. That would be something easy you could start getting in your hair to help your hair.

are you doing water rinses or are you doing baking soda? If you are doing baking soda, I would advice you to keep it down to a minimum and start doing more water rinses. The baking soda can really dry out and weaken your hair after a while – most people use to much baking soda when they do the baking soda rinse.

Also, as a fellow long hair person, I must tell you that don’t forget to trim off those dried ends. Yeah, I know we want our hair as long as possible but I tend to notice that I do need to cut off my ends after a time. I tend to shed more hair when I need a trim – I think it because when you are brushing or combing those dry ends are hard to comb through and you might end up pullling out more hair in the process.

Oh, also just in case you are: NEVER brush your hair when it is wet! I often don’t even comb my hair when it is wet if I can help it. I wait until it is dryer.

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

I only do water rinses now, as the baking soda was too harsh. (I haven’t used it in 6 weeks.) I also don’t brush my hair when wet. That’s a definite ‘no no’. I am in desperate need of a trim, though. I will cut off an inch or two and get back to you on the shedding issue. How is your hair doing, by the way? Has much of it grown out into baby soft hair? :)

So….my no poo experiment is over. DH returned after a 10 day trip abroad, and he got into bed next to me and said “what’s that smell??” And I was like, “I don’t know”. ANd he leaned into me, wrinkled up his nose and said “It’s your hair!!! Why does your hair smell like you haven’t washed it in a week??” And I said “Um, cuz I haven’t??” He said it really smelled badly and so I took a shower and washed it.

Ah well!!! I tried LOL

southernlover – Well, that is one thing that always seem to be slow for me – hair growth. I must admit I haven’t been regular with my massages and my MSM lately though (I just a short MC though so I could not take any MSM). Although, I can tell what is new “no pooed” growth and what is old shampooed stuff. The roots tend to be glossier and I can’t notice any breakage like I can with the ends. I just trimmed my hair the other day too. I have been spending alot of time out in the sun so my hair is definatley getting drier right now. My hair hasn’t been ‘baby soft’ since I was a little kid which is fine with me. I like my hair on the fluffier side – I don’t care for it to be all smooth. Since I have been out in the sun alot, I need to do a natural conditioner on my hair. Maybe some avocado or bannana coconut! ;)

nycgrrl – Aw! It was going good for you too! Your hair was getting better wasn’t it? I did have a bit of stink at the beginning of my no poo but it didn’t stay around too long. their are lots of great rinses you can use to get rid of any smell if you have any. The best thing to do is to use essentail oils or herbs that you like the smell off. You can brew an herbal tea, let it cool and pour throught your hair. Do you think you might go back to it again? How is your hair now that you have shampooed it? Lots of people notice their hair feel course and weird after shampooing again.

why don’t you brush your hair when wet, southernlover? does your hair break easily or what? I don’t shampoo/condition either, so i’m curious.

Hi Winona – It is rule number one not to brush your hair when it is wet. (one of the first things I learned in beauty school long ago!). Your hair is more fragile when it is wet and you are more likely to stretch and break it (ever notice how your hair can stretch more when it is wet and it shrinks up when it dries). This esp apply to those who shampoo since their hair has been stripped of the protective oils. – no pooers probably have stronger hair when it is wet but if you need to detangle hair when it is still wet use a wide tooth comb not a brush. If you can it is best to wait until your hair is dry or damp to comb or brush – this way you won’t risk pulling out or breaking off more hair.

omg thank you for telling me this! my hair was breaking so much recently and I got all these short fly-aways. i was using a brush, not a comb. doing it all wrong. very very good to know… i will wait till it’s dry to brush.

• I’ve been no ‘poo for several months now, but the only way I could manage it was by dreading my hair! I have very thin hair which needed washing every day and even then by the end of it my hair was getting greasy.

This thread on another web forum might help you all with the no poo thing.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1…

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I’ve been doing ‘no poo’ for about 7 months now, as long as I’ve been raw. My hair was almost down to my waist when I started. I went through some adjustment with grease/odor/dandruff as my head detoxed itself, and also some hair loss, surprisingly. After about four months, it started looking pretty damn awesome – I’ve always had “curls/frizz” but when I stopped the shampoo, WOW, my hair really came alive! The bad stuff passed and then my hair just went WILD with curls and body!

In May, I shaved my head…because I decided I wanted to start over with only “raw hair.” Now it’s more then an inch long and forming into silky curls all over my head.

I can tell I’m gonna love it, as it starts growing in, no poo. I only use water to wash.