Converting Recipes...

Well, I searched for a topic like this and didn’t find anything, so here goes.

Could someone help me come up with some ideas to change this recipe to ‘raw’? I LOVED these things – one of the few sweets I still want – but there has GOT to be a way to make them raw! I’ll list the recipe and let’s see what we come up with.

1. 1 1/4 c graham cracker crumbs (what kind of nut could we use to be flavored like this?)
  2. 1/4 c sugar (???)
  3. 1 tsp cinnamon
  4. 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  5. 1/2 c peanut butter (either my homemade or almond butter?)
  6. 1/3 c corn-syrup (agave or honey)

Combine ingredients. Roll in powdered sugar (maybe coconut [or nothing]?), chill.

Edit: anyone else with recipes you’d like converted feel free to use this topic!

P.S. sorry about the giant words – it’s being stupid again. :-p

Comments

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I’ll take a shot at this one—grind your pecans very fine with some soaked dates in a 1:1 ratio, mix in the cinnamon and nutmeg, add 1/2 C of homemade almond butter (soaked almonds thrown in the blender w/ a little cold-pressed almond oil and salt) and I bet you won’t need the honey or agave. Roll into balls and roll them in raw dehydrated coconut. Freeze a little while. You can also roll in raw carob or cacao powder or all 3 for variety. What a great post!

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

OOOH CAROB POWDER!!! Wow – we never even tried that when we made the original recipe!!! Thanks for the suggestions, too!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Khaas Ladki: those big words had to do with the # before all the ingredients, which just wanted a space after each one. your recipe looked so pleasant, so i just did a quick fix.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

For the graham cracker crumbs, I like to blend dried bananas because of my nut intolerance, but why don’t you do pecans and almonds (soaked and dehydrated of course). I would put cinnamonand some coconut oil in as well but I see you already have cinnamon. And yes almond or cashew butter would work great. For sugar, I would love maple syrup powder, but the best raw alternative would be this raw sugar recipe

For quantities, I would suggest the following:

1/4 cup melted coconut oil

1 tablespoon raw agave or honey

2 tablespoons raw carob powder

1/4 teaspoon himlayan crystal salt (works best in sweet recipes versus sea salt)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds from half a vanilla bean, or both

Mix all together. The recipe didn’t give quantities but these are the quantities I would use.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

While searching for a new recipe for tomorrow, I came across this Pecan Graham Cracker Crust recipe from Renee Underkoffler, It sounds similar: 2C pecans-soak 1 C in 2C water for 2-4 hours, drain, rinse. 4-6 soft dates soaked and pitted 1 T maple syrup or raw honey 2T raw carob powder 1T cinnamon 2t frsh ground nutmeg 1T non-alcoholic vanilla (optional) pinch sundried sea salt

chop the dry pecans into a fine meal, set aside. Chop soaked pecans into a fine meal. Add everything else except the dry pecans. Add the dry pecans at the end. This makes a pie crust, but you can just as easily roll them into balls and then roll in the cacao, coconut or carob. Please let us know how it turns out.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Cool ideas! I will try to make these this weekend (depending on the grocery bill! :-o ) and I’ll let ya’ll know how it goes!

Thanks guys!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I make a graham cracker-ish crust with a combo of raw almonds, cashews, & macadamia nuts with just a touch of agave & a pinch of salt. The pecan one sounds good, too, though. For future reference, agave substitutes for sugar by using about 2/3 of the amount of agave as you would sugar. Tricky for a small amount, but 2 1/2 Tablespoons of agave would be about right for 1/4 cup of sugar.