What happenned to my sesame tahini?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

My homemade tahini exploded after 3 days in the fridge! I’m assuming it is no longer safe to eat since there was lots of air escaping as I opened the lid of the jar. I soaked white and black sesame seeds and sent them into the blender with their soak water and a little salt. I stored it in a glass jar. Anyone know how long homemade nut/seed butters keep?

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I’m going to say it fermented (?!) Good to know as I’m about to try, but I’m going to use the dry unhulled seeds. I saw your almond butter comments so thank you for blazing the trail for me! I love the Better Than Roasted nut butters but I could eat a jar in about two days. I guess if you’re going to soak them, you have to dehydrate them, and if you add a liquid, it has to be an oil if it’s going to keep for more than 3 days.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

IZ, my nutt butters last for a long time in the fridge..dont soak the nuts and use wet. use dehydrated ones and oil id say it tastes good for up to a month….i think your tahini since the seeds where soaked fermented too…...

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thanks, Om!

• Its best to use sprouted and dehydrated nuts and seeds if you want to store your butters and not use it up right away.