Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Observations on being newly raw

Hey all, just wanted to run some thoughts/questions by anyone who has been raw a little while. I was on the Master Cleanse and then transitioned to an all raw diet right away. It’s been about a week and so far, so good! Here’s what I’m noticing:

I’m not eating (or needing to eat, I should say) much at all it seems. My typical day is juicing in the morning (usually chard and and an orange), a big smoothie for “breakfast”, then a huge salad for lunch, followed by dinner (which can be anything from flax crackers w/ pate, raw nori rolls or some kinda veggie medley dish). That’s it, nothing more, no snacking, no dessert. Have most of you noticed a decrease in the need for eating? I’m trying REALLY hard to not be eating emotionally or out of boredom, so I’m chugging water religiously so that I’m not mindlessly grazing. Is there such thing as eating “too little”?

Okay so this next one is about bodily functions, just giving fair warning. So I’ve noticed the most amazing thing: I don’t fart AT ALL when I’m all raw. Wow, it’s kinda really weird and cool at the same time. Anyone else? And poop, wow, my pooping mechanism (hehe) is pretty darn efficient because I’m not eating nearly as much as I would have on my normal vegan diet and yet I’m eliminating still 2-3 times a day. Only thing that is alarming is that it’s a different “texture” and it feels weird and uncomfortable coming out..is this just me getting used to poo’ing an all raw diet?

Okay, so I think that’s it for now. I know I have more to ask but I can’t think of it now.

Peace :)

Comments

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Aaah! The intestinal scouring! I remember it well. Give yourself an extra 15 minutes in the morning and you’ll be fine. That disappeared for me after about 5 days. I’m happy to hear you are doing well. I’ve heard it’s hard to go right from the MC to raw since you haven’t built up good raw eating habits yet, but you are proof this can be done. Welcome. Yes—you don’t need much food. Your body is using it all. No empty calories=no mindless and endless eating.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey mellie-bellie – I can’t believe you’ve mastered juicing, smoothies, flax crackers and nori rolls in a week! You’re doing great! I can’t say I eat less often, but our meals are quite small compared to our old cooked meals. My husband has gotten used to the mini-meals since he’s never been hungry afterwards. Our houseguest also made the comment after having raw chili last night and some water melon, he said he was satisfied all night.

As far as the gas, that’s where we part. I’ve done a lot of experimenting in the past year of being raw so I haven’t been very consistent, but the idea of having no gas is very foreign. The uncomfortable elimination is very common early on and was a problem for me, you will adjust. Hope it continues to go well!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Aaah! The intestinal scouring! I remember it well. Give yourself an extra 15 minutes in the morning and you’ll be fine. That disappeared for me after about 5 days. I’m happy to hear you are doing well. I’ve heard it’s hard to go right from the MC to raw since you haven’t built up good raw eating habits yet, but you are proof this can be done. Welcome. Yes—you don’t need much food. Your body is using it all. No empty calories=no mindless and endless eating.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I wish I needed no dessert! I don’t really “need” it, it’s just that I am kinda in a phase where I prefer to have a light meal and include yummy raw desserts.

You are probably less gassy because there was something before that you were not digesting well. Like dairy or something. I noticed it too. Beans used to make me so gassy.

Good luck! Keep going you are doing great!

• Thanks for the replies and kind words! My transition to raw has been rather “easy”, as I am a vegan chef so I’m applying those skills on the raw side of life, and I’ve been dabbling in raw foods for years. It wasn’t until recently that I’ve really focused my energy on being 100% raw, but it’s been a much needed change and a catalyst for other changes in my life. Just being somewhat of a “whole foods vegan” was a big stepping stone to turning raw..it’s like a natural evolution of sorts. I’m trying to get a pretty well-rounded raw diet down pat before I add a dessert here or there because I know the powers of sweet things and I don’t want to fall into the habit of thinking it’s all good just because it’s raw. My ultimate goal is health, a good amount of weightloss, and squashing this candida issue that’s been with me on-and-off my whole life. It’s nice to hear of others’ experiences and have such a great supportive online community. Now, if I can only find a local raw potluck…

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Well, if you think about what a horse, cow and elephant poo is like…they’re all raw vegans! The SAD poo seems quite unnatural compared to a cow pat lol!!

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

Mellie, I’m in my 3rd week of 100% raw (after being vegan for a year and a half), and I’ve always had a problem with sweets. The first week and a half, I did still have my cravings, although they weren’t nearly as bad. And, I’d just nibble on a date and I’d be satisfied. This week, I planned on making some raw desserts, but I’m always so full from dinner that I don’t even really want anything sweet after. Nothing else has ever curbed my sweet tooth like going raw has!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

ditto that, heyenglish. i used to be a sucker for all things sweet. now, fruit is a sweet enough treat for me, and i often tuck in to a bowl of cucumbers and tomatoes.

• my cravings have distinctly shifted from being sweets and candies to salty and savoury…i could eat tamari, onions and olives on anything.

i’m about 90% now, and i haven’t noticed a decrease in my appetite, but i think i’m eating less. i still have to eat every couple of hours (i’m hypoglycemic and very active) but i think the meals have very little empty carbs in them and thus offer better nutrition. in a normal day i have a green smoothie for breakfast and a banana midmorning if i got up early that day. today for lunch i had about 2 cups of blended veggie soup (with about 1 tbsp of oil), and 1/4 cup of sunflower seed cheese wrapped in collards with sliced tomatoes. i’m eating more fruit now, and will have a larabar before yoga. then i’ll have a late dinner of soup with a nut base, or zucchini pasta, or raw pizza….i can never really tell how much food it actually is. i don’t snack much at night now, but i seriously crave salty rice chips at night, so i’m trying to stick with raw corn chips instead.

i find that among the raw community people go both ways…they either graze and eat tons of lovely raw foods, or they end up with very little appetite at all. i’d always hoped i would be the latter…oh well!