tasty...but slimy...

I got a hold of some untoasted oat groats the other day to use for cereal, I soaked a 1/3c over night and drained them….then brought them to work to have with some berries and mylk…they taste great but they are still slimy after I drained them for a while…any tips to make them less slimy? next time should I blend them before adding fruit to mix the slime in?

also, what else can I do with these things that require no dehydration?

groatily yours, H

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I love cereal as well. I make mine with chia seeds and almond milk (they absorb water to become like porridge!)

Unfortunately those oats you ate weren’t raw, unless you ordered the oats online from a raw food website. All oat groats are steamed to keep out worms during storage. see this list for info

Instead of oats, I recommend using chia seeds and nuts for a delicious cereal. Or you can do a wonderful fruit+nut cereal concoction:

Fruit Cereal
    • 1 cup chilled almond milk
    • 1 cup chilled sliced fruit (bananas, strawberries, blackberries, etc)
    • 2 Tbsp chopped nuts (cashews, brazil nuts, etc)
    • 2 Tbsp chopped dried fruit (dates, raisins, cranberries, etc)

Put dry ingredients in a bowl and pour almond milk over it. Serve immediately.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

ahhh crud…not raw? boooo. At least its healthy..I do have chia seeds so I will try that alternative…thanks for the post :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

You’re welcome! Beware of any bad reactions to the oat groats… I had tummy prob’s related to those things. Chia seeds are wonderful! Use sweetener almond milk, you could even blend berries into the almond milk then pour it over the chia. It’s my favorite 1am snack while my boyfriend eats tacos.