Prices of dehydrating fruits...

So, I just purchased a dehydrator today and they should be shipping it soon! Yay me! Now, I am willing to pay more to make my own dried fruits to get them unblanched and without sulfites (esp. since I used to have asthma), but I am a bit concerned as of right now when I looked at something….

I realized that last time I bought grapes, they were $2.99 per lb – and that’s not organic that I remember. The raisins I’m buying right now ARE organic, but they are something like $2.79/lb. Here’s my question: does 1 lb of grapes equal 1 lb of raisins? Because when I used to make baked banana chips (baked at a low temp until basically dried) they would end up weighing almost nothing even if I used like 4 bananas! My concern is that to make up 1 lb of raisins I will need like a million lbs of grapes, which would cost me 299-million dollars which is what I don’t want!

Anyway I’m rambling on again when a simple question would suffice.

Thanks for any encouragement and/or help… :-p

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

ask a shop assisstant when they reduce things, normally it is the same time every day, then you can get some real bargains. Don’t get hung up on wanting just one thing…grapes are expensive, but bananas are cheap and lovely dehydrated. As are apples.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

By ‘reduce things’, do you mean when they get rid of the old fruit and restock?

I tried to buy some bananas from Target (they were perfectly beautiful! sobs) when the guy was chunking them into trash boxes, and he said they were not allowed to sell them! That had to be like 100 lbs of nanas they just threw away!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

www.therawchoice.com I buy their raw organic dried fruit cheaper than I could buy organic & dehydrate it myself. Maybe even cheaper than non-organic. Bananas ARE yummy & cheaper than other fruits!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Yeah I realized trying to dehydrate your own fruit is kinda expensive. But fun!