Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Emotional Detoxing?

I’ve always been a vegitarian, but went to 100% raw vegan..just beginning my 5th week. I felt great the first week, followed by a week of exhaustion and then physically I’ve felt wonderful weeks 3-4…The issue is, I’ve become quite depressed for the past 10 days or so.

I’ve gone 100% raw in the past for lengths of time and am familiar with the physical ups and downs, but this emotional is new. Can anyone help me shed some light on this? Wondering if anyone has had “emotional” detoxing..which is sort of what this feels like.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Yes this does happen. It happened to me the first winter I was raw. I thought that I was going mad, I couldn’t understand why I felt like I did when I was a very depressed teenager! I realised that when I ate cooked food the depression would disappear, so then I knew that it was a detox thing I was going through. I started to see a Person Centered Counsellor and through our conversations it confirmed that it was a detox thing and I wasn’t spiralling down into a whole new depression. Through the counselling I cleared up loads of really old stuff I had never really dealt with before. It was amazing. The whole thing lasted about 3 months, and I was a different person once I had passed through it.

Angela Stokes (www.rawreform) has got an e book out just about the emotional side of detox, it is pretty good. It will pass. This is old stuff, old toxic emotions that have been hanging around you and is finally leaving you – hooray!

Some other things that helped me were yoga and positive thinking (The Power is Within You by Louise Hay is brilliant for getting to the root causes of depression, poverty, relationship issues etc and turning it all around in a lovely way.) InnerTalk CD’s helped me too, they are subliminal recordings of positive thoughts which you play all night as you sleep, it re programmes your mind, they work really well too. Massage helps to move the toxins out of your body and speed the detox process up. There are lots of other things that support and speed detox like colonics, enemas, epsom salt baths, fasting etc…

• Thanks Zoe, I suspected…but it’s nice to have reassurance. I will check out your suggestions. It’s also nice to think that old emotional distress with “go away” after getting through this.

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=icsFTnltYuY This video explains emotional detox among other things. I found it very helpful in strengthening my conviction to stay raw vegan when, inexplicably, after months and months of clean eating I was suddenly craving cooked foods and feeling like crap. It’s a bit long, but well worth a watch!

• Thanks Kathryn, I watched #2-5 last night, #1 was unavailable. Very interesting. It makes sense on an theoretical level. Also it would explain why there are so many terribly overweight people in the world. I guess I’m in for the ride!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yes see someone who is trained in this stuff. i had a whole lot of issues come up for me once and just would cry for hours sometimes. once i was past all that i felt like a new person. so it is not always a bad thing, you just need someone who is trained in that to help you get through it.

• Hi bex29,

how funny that I’ve found this thread, just looking around, seeing what’s new (haven’t been on for a week).

I was just wondering myself about the same thing! Is it emotional detoxing what I’m going through here?!

You see, I’ve gone more and more raw lately and nowadays eat 100% raw most of my days. Being at that point where when I eat a fork full of something cooked, I realize, I really don’t like it. Also, my husband has become wonderfully supporting, so anytime I bring up something cooked he reminds me to be better than that.

Anyway, so I’ve been really raw lately – but also since two days ago, I’ve become really depressed! Like Zoe said, I feel depressed like when I was a teenager!

I could cry, I could only be angry, I could only stare at the wall. I don’t want to do anything, nothing makes me happy.

Not only am I sure now that it truly is detox, but also: Raw changes your mind and your perspective on so many things, the whole world seems different because you can finally see clearly! Therefore it also makes you look at your life differently and you see things you might have not seen or wanted to see before. At least that’s the case with me.

Yes, being raw changes a lot. But only for the better. So I’m ready for whatever I have to go through for that. Hope this encourages you, too. :-)

• i’m dealing with all of this as we speak. at least for me, though, it’s partially breaking my ties to emotional eating so i have all this stuff that’s not being repressed via binge eating on vegan junk foods. so now, when my emotions arise, they kinda fester and aren’t repressed and so i’m left feeling them intensely and it’s soooooooooooooooo overwhelming. but i’ve been very proud of myself, trying to work through the gunk when it arises and really see my issues head on—the clarity from being 100% raw is unbelievable. i imagine just like my physical body, my mind and spirit have a lot of detoxing and cleansing to do. i welcome it all with open arms. i wanna heal full circle :)

• Oh thank God!!!! I thought it was just me. Talk about grumpy and emotional – it’s like full blown PMS all day, every day. I could have a heaving, sobbing, ground-shaking cry at any moment. There doesn’t even have to be anything wrong – could just see something beautiful or not.

I’m looking forward to the healing. Right now I just want to stay away from people – and eat vegetables, of course :)

• Kathrynintheraw, thanks for the youtube link. That was great.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

When I was going through it I liked to give myself treats, like long aromatherapy oiled baths, making amazing raw cakes and pies, just anything that made me feel Loved and supported. Like I said before, the counselling really was the main thing that helped. I got it for free because here in the UK there are lots of charities that do free counselling, maybe there’s one near you? I had Person Centered Counselling, (which I am also trained in myself) it was so good to have someone there to just offload onto, who could reassure me I wasn’t going crazy. I did have one major ‘issue’ that I had never really dealt with, and when I went raw there was just no way to supress it or hide from it. I am so glad that I finally let it all out, I could have gone a lifetime without ever knowing what it was like to feel truly happy and free.

I believe that emotions are stored in our cells. I do a lot of deep relaxation, when I let go of a muscle that’s been tight for a long time all kinds of memories fly up in my mind as it relaxes. Imagine the stuff that has been stored deep in your internal organs since you were a baby, it is no wonder that we go through this, but thank goodness we do, no-one should have to carry all that baggage around with them.

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

ZOe said “when I let go of a muscle that’s been tight for a long time ” Kevyn says, by PMR or by Rebirthing? I did a liver flush some time ago, I’ve always been sure/aware that emotions stay there, stored in the cells, muscles, fascias, fats, lymph, but I never thought a flush could be so powerful in that respect… you don’t lose stones, you primarily lose deep-seated negative-charged stored emotions. really affected me strongly, I can’t wait for the next one!

• QTLaylaQTLayla Raw Newbie

Hello all

I have had lots of experience with Rebirthing, am a Loving Relationships Trained (LRT) sponsored Rebirther… and yes, they do say that our cells have memory… Deepak Chopra has talked on this subject in some of his work as well. Breath work like Rebirthing is a very powerful was to do emotional detox… and I think the raw diet assists as well.

Only emotional stuff that has come up for me is feeling isolated because I have stopped going to the dine-out get togethers I have in the past.

In reading The Raw Family by V Boutenko… Seirgi says one does not have to stop going… but bring a watermelon to share… have the wait person cut it up and bring it… sounds like a plan for me & others to try.

Great Topic!

QT

• Hi I am new here.. It is good to know there are people out there going through the same thing.. I am have been mostly raw going on almost 2 months.. I feel great..then wicked depressed… I though it was a new depression ,maybe it is Detox,, I felt the same thing.. If I eat a bit of cooked food I feel better! Thanks!!