Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

wind power, why not?

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

The problem with Wind Power is it’s too expensive. Did you know that in Brazil people are taking advantage of sugar cane ethanol?

Scientific American has a long article in the January issue that by 2050, Americans could be completely switched to solar power, which costs half as much as fossil fuels.

I think solar and some wind power depending on the expense is the eventual way to go for fuel, I wish we could switch sooner.

That does look interesting, though!! I was interested by that on CNN a couple days ago.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

growing anything for fuel is as short sighted as fossil fuels…land is finite just as oil is…unless a plant is found that produces gallons per square inch…its a limited short term solution.

Yea, you’re right. I’m writing a research report of Brazil so I chose the sugar cane ethanol boom.. but it’s not a solution for the US because they can’t grow much sugar cane. We are using some corn ethanol,but using that gives only 10 times more energy than what takes to produce it, compared the Brazil’s 360 percent. I think solar and wind power are the ultimate ways to go.

He says on the website that natural gas could solve the problem, but that according to him is 30 percent cleaner than oil, not really much to me.

I’m all for solar an wind :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I’ve always wanted a completely solar-powered home. :)

In my neighborhood there is this house with glass on the roof, I’m wondering if it’s a solar.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

rawkidchef, the problem that is happening in Brazil is that they are tearing down the rainforest to grow those crops. it’s so sad. i don’t think ethanol is a good option, I wonder why people spend so much time on it. solar is great. even us in seattle use it in places, so you must not need much sun. ;-)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

RAW FOOD CHEF I think if you did more research you would discover that what we are doing with corn ethanol is actually bad for the environment and human health. I listened to a show on NPR a few weeks ago on this topic which discussed that sugar cane ethathol yields twice as much ethanol as corn and takes half as much energy to produce, However, as BITT pointed out, the rush to grow biofuels is leading to unprecedented deforestation on several continents and the energy required to refine biofuels is such that we are increasing our carbon output and accelerating global warming. This doesn’t even include the impact of all the chemicals dumped on the planet and the erosion of and damage to soil caused by agribiz monocultures. Given this information, sugar cane ethanol isn’t a good deal. Keep in mind, being environmentally short-sided is what brought about the global warming problem and it is the biggest problem we have ever brought on ourselves and every living thing on the planet.

The production of corn ethanol is a no-brainer straight up and is being driven by Mobsanto (that was a typo but when I saw it, it made sense to me so I decided not to correct it). Several years ago, the FTC I believe, passed a federal requirement that claims regarding the environmental benefit of a product must include the carbon footprint of the production and refinement of the product. The law specifically exempted biofuels. All this bullshit about corn biofuels helping the environment has been an intentional lie and our lawmakers have been part of the conspiracy. All along, those of us that supported biofuels thinking it helped the environment have been duped into harming the environment.

Finally, the World Bank just finished a study on why food prices have been escalating so much over the last few years. The Bush Administration and American media have been strutting the story that is due primarily to the surging wealth of China and India and their populations wanting to consume foods other than their traditional staples. Turns out, that has not really impacted world food prices much. The World Bank study, which was international in scope, says the profits associated with biofuels are the true culprit. So, in addition to adding exponentially to global warming, which will kill more life in the future, biofuels are killing a record number of humans now in poorer nations by starving them to death, Biofuels are inadvertently helping Codex fulfill one of its goals: to kill off any human population that is not profitable to feed.

I am with you that solar and wind are great ways to go, but when you factor in the direct and collateral impact of implementing new technologies (can you say Iraq war), wind isn’t as expensive as some people claim. There is only one reason both these technologies have not caught on and haven’t already received heavy government support – no big corporations have found a way to profit from the wind and sun. Yet.

Here is a story about an island in Denmark that began investing entirely in wind and solar energy back in 2003 and they are now completely energy sufficient and free of all associated pollutants.

Self-Sufficient Danish Island Leads The Way In Clean Energy

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

OMSHANTI – Thanks for your post. I had heard that the US had the wind potential to run the entire country but I never knew why. The video explained that. Thanks.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

The leaked study on biofuels from a few days ago blamed the current upsurge in food prices on biofuels. It said biofuels were 75% responsible for the upsurge, if I’m not mistaken. People are starving all over the world because of this. I saw people standing in line for HOURS to buy bread in Egypt a couple months ago. Wind, solar, even hydro (although not like what’s been done in India). My father’s been selling solar panels since the 80s. In Spain solar is practically obligatory. Viva Zapatero! We definitely need to shift over to energy independance and renewable sources. Hopefully the current cost of gas will lead to this.

Yes, Meditating, I know very well how bad corn ethanol is for the environment, and Brazil has other problems. Solar here we come!!

• And don’t forget hydropower. My husband and I are buying a small place in upstate NY that has a creek. We will be using that to power our home, and staying completely off the grid. It’s inexpensive and not too difficult to install. Of course, you need a source like a creek or a river; if you do have access to water, it makes total sense.

Great idea, Mon46, eventually we plan to buy a home in the country in Western Howard County Maryland that will either be solar, wind, or hydropower-ed.It sounds really great.

• Hey RawKidChef and everyone else, here’s a good link for alternative energy: www.absak.com Wouldn’t it be great if we could all be off the grid?

mon46 as per hydro power does it negatively impact the fishies in the creek or anyone down stream? im only asking cause i dont know…

by the way her is my new commuter!( kidding, as i commute to far but for fun purposes…we have two huskies they are gonna love this!)

www.dogscooter.com

omshanti – That is AWESOME! :D

Hey, why not hook your doggies to a treadmill in the yard to power your house? ;) I think you should invent it. HAHAHA! :D

• omshanti, I have not found anything that indicated hydro power damages wildlife of any kind. The turbines are enclosed in a box that shouldn’t have any effect on the fish. It also doesn’t affect the flow of the water—just harnesses the energy.

like an old timey water wheel? hmmm i gotta look into this! thanks mon….

angie, a doggie powered home yeah!

The problem with hydropower in the future is that when water becomes scarcer (it isn’t a renewable resource, as you know) it will not be able to sacrifice precious water. Wind power’s problem is that making the turbines requires more energy.

Solar power is the real way to go. There are no drawbacks.

I learned all this from the Vibrance Raw Magazine (previously known as Living Nutrition)

raw kid chef solar power drawback number one: cost, number two: storage of solar power, number three: north eastern and north western USA, not so much sunny….dont get me wrong im all for solar and hydro and wind, but try not to be to swayed by partisan articles, do your own research draw your own conclusions….

• Yes, the type of alternative power you use should be commensurate with your environment. If you’re in a sunny climate, perhaps solar. If you have access to a water source that will not be drying up anytime soon, try hydro. I agree with omshanti; it’s important to educate yourself and then decide.

You need to do more research. I have read all the science magazines which all say it can be stored underground and extracted from the Sahara Desert. Solar power is not at all expensive, it’s very cheap. Research it. It’s very interesting topic, energy.