Is there a raw nutritional yeast?

I have done a search on the forum and Chris said nutritional yeast was not raw. I did a search and found out it was grown and then dried. Is it that the drying temp is high or is there another reason why it is not raw? It would be great if someone could talk to Red Star and have them bring out a low temp dried version. I would like to use it but am trying to avoid my body reacting to cooked food. Thanks Rosemary

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Good question. I think we would have heard about it if there was. Another thing is that some nutritional yeasts are fortified which definatley would not make them raw. My guess is that is the drying process.

Here is how it is made: It is produced by culturing the yeast with a mixture of sugarcane and beet molasses, then harvesting, washing, drying and packaging the yeast.

Number one how is the beet molasses made? I don’t know that much about it but I don’t think regular molasses is raw. The sugarcane might be OK. The second process of drying is probably a high temp.

But than again we all buy spices at the store and do we know how they are dried? How high are the temps? It could be pretty high? How high is too high for certain item? Are herbs and spices different than say dehydrating our veggies and fruits?

I have a question I think about when people quiver over dehydrator and drying temps. Dates grow in areas that can reach temps that go over our “raw dehydrating standard” – Are they still raw? Raw foodies still eat them though right? Do they have any enzymes left?

Here is my personal opinion, unless you are set on becoming a purist or going into a 811 diet and the rest of your food is good – I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Unless you are eating it by the handfuls or something. If you are worried about it, cut it down or out of your diet. If you think you are having a reacting to it, stop using it. Pine nuts can have a cheesy taste to them too. maybe start using those instead.