Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dermatologist / Red Spots / Sun / Rosacea

carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Hi Everyone!

I just went to the dermatologist today because i wanted to have a few spots checked out and to have them look at my red spots and broken cappilaries. The dermotologist told me i have minor rosacea and that i have a lot of sun spots. She recomended a cream and wash to help with the redness and the sunspots. I never really noticed my skin was red before – except where i have these broken cappilaries and red spots from previous breakouts (i get these spots eventhough i didn’t squeeze or pop!). They recomended doing laser therapy, but she wants me to use this cleanser/moisturizer. Does anyone know of any good ways to help reduce the sunspots and redness and broken cappilaries? I’ve been using coconut oil as a cleanser and the bee yummy skin food from Live-Live. My skin is much better since going raw but i still have the broken cappilaries which drive me insane :) I really don’t want to do the cleanser/moisturizer, so any help would be appreciated! Also, I was using the SPF 30 from Live-Live and still got really bad sunburn this past weekend. Can anyone suggest a really good and really strong natural sunblock – i eat a lot of broccoli already and it doesn’t seem to help! Thanks!!

Comments

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I forgot to mention that my skin is soooo sensitive and i bruise easily and keep bruises for a long time (months). Any advise on that too? Thanks!

• I have really no specific advice but as far as I know and based on my issues regarding skin, all skin problems are a reflection of an internal problem. If I were you I would definitely stay away from pharma products and consult with a holistic doctor/naturopath. good luck! PS No laser please!

melaverde – thanks! If i could find a naturaopath in my area, i’d jump at the opportunity!!! Do you know if there is a site where i can search for one? I’ve only just done a yahoo yellow pages search for my area – and looked in the phone book. I don’t know how i can have internal problems when i eat this way (the only questionable things that i consume are Raw Almonds and i use Miso instead of Braggs or Nama Shoyu). I don’t even eat the almonds much anymore!

• All my skin issues (rushes, pimples, irritation, acne, white spots, exzema) over the years were a direct result of detoxification, I may be wrong but given your diet I won’t be surprised if it was a detox symptom. Dermatologists are not trained to reason that way, they see a skin condition as an illness and treat it to suppress it instead of addressing the root cause. Search for an ND here: www.naturopathic.org

Thank you so much! As soon as i responded to your last message, i went on Yahoo and searched and saw this site. There is one naturopath who is about a 1/2 hour away. I already sent her an email :) I’ve always eaten on the healthy side and i’ve always had these broken cappilaries and red spots. On Monday, when i get my replacement part for my juicer, i’m going to do a juice feast. Maybe at the end, that will help the redness. We’ll see :) Thanks for your help!

• Best of luck – “No problem is insurmountable. With a little courage, teamwork and determination a person can overcome anything” Anon

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

One of the worst experiences I’ve ever had was going to a famous Santa Monica dermatologist and left her office after the very first appointment with products, pushing of more products, laser treatment pushes, and a mole hastily removed from my back that made me faint. Never again. Just my personal experience with rosacea and acne treatment- I wish you well with the naturaopath, please keep us posted! I’d love to hear suggestions too. All the best!

Thanks, heartshapedsky! I almost don’t mind the laser treatment (i know that’s bad but i’ve had this redness for so long and it bothers me so much! I don’t want to have to wear makeup anymore!), but i’d rather get to the root of what’s causing it. I think it has a lot to do with how fair i am, but there must be other factors as well. I was on Lupron injections for endometriosis and this made my body “go through menopause” at the age of 19. After that is when this all started happening. Doctors don’t agree that my body feels it’s older than it actually is, but that has always been my gut instinct! I haven’t received a response from the naturopath yet but i plan on calling next week and talking to her! I’ll keep you posted!

I had one laser treatment and noticed a difference the same day- less redness around my nose, all those little broken rosasea cappilaries! But, I didn’t stick with it, which is key and they crept back up fairly quickly. Can’t wait to hear your experiences! Beautiful skin here we come!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Concerning bruising. I know this is silly to ask a person who eats raw but, do you get enough vit.C ?

• My sister use to have really red skin, broken cappilaries. I gave my sister a soothing couperose gel I sell. It so worked a treat! But you must use it for at least 4 months. She also used the soothing moisturiser.Certified Organic. She also started drinking organic camomile tea and green tea. Have a read about it at www.earthyorganics.mionegroup.com Hope that helps

Beany – yeah, i have grapefruit and oranges every morning and i add lemon into my green juices…

earthy organics – thanks for the link. I’ll check it out. Do you know what ingredient in that gel actually helps the broken cappilaries? I just didn’t think that anything could help them once they’re there. Thanks!!

• Hi carrie… The ingredient in the gel is Organic Horsechestnut Extract. It decongests & drains capillaries, calms and strengthens. Great for blotchy skin too. It helps to strengthen capillaries and is antiinflammatory. It is in the soothing moisturiser as well.It also has aloe vera which has the ability to accerate cell growth. St Johns Wort and of course Chamomile. Her skin has changed for the better!

• Hi Carrie, I ve heard certain ingredients in skincare can cause sun sensitivity… Sun sensitive ingredients can be: Alpha Hydroxy Acids; Widely used as skin exfoliant. Accutane; Skin exfoliant used to treat acne. Beta Hydroxy Acid; Popular topical exfoliant ingredient. Benzoyl Peroxide; Topical ingredient for acne treatment. Hydroquinone; Skin pigment lightening agent. Kojic Acid; Skin lightening and bleaching. L-Absorbic Acid; Often known as the true Vitamin C. Lactid Acid; A form of alpha hydroxy acid. Licorice Extract; A form of alpha hydroxy acid. Retinol; A derivative of vitamin A. Salicylic Acid; Most common type of BHA. Tretinoin; Acid form of Vitamin A. Just a thought..

Thank you so much! I think i’m gonna go to my natural food store and see if i can find Horsechestnut Extract and start there. I went yesterday, before i read this, and they tried selling me something else, but i didn’t want to buy it… too expensive! I want to heal this naturally.

Hearthshapedsky – thanks for telling me that. I was contemplating just doing one treatment and seeing how it turned out. I think i’ll cancel that appointment now :)

Thanks everyone!

• suryadayasuryadaya Raw Newbie

carrie6292: I have the same problem as you – broken capillaries and mild rosacea. I recently had an undereye vein treated with sclerotherapy and it went away! For a month or two. Now its back. What caused it to come back? A sinus infection. I had a horrible sinus infection when I noticed it was there again and went googling. I found out that those usually increase when your facial muscles are swollen or can’t drain correctly. I’ve had those sinus related problems my whole life so I did some experimenting. I used my neti pot twice a day (my doctor recommended it) removed any dairy and sugar (even fruit sugar) from my diet (also recommended from that doctor), took hot showers just to inhale the steam, and got a humidifier. My face looked better in a few days – all of it. The redness went down, the vein was less pronounced. The capillaries aren’t going to go away but my face was able to relax and drain so much better when it had the leeway to heal itself. Also – after the sclerotherapy they told me that putting my face under hot water, tanning, and flying were bad for the veins/capillaries and told me I wasn’t allowed to do any of it for a week. I’ve been taking lukewarm or cold showers ever since and my skin ALL over is much better. I fly constantly for work too so I can’t do anything about that – but I overhydrate myself and prepare my sinuses and other cardiovascular aspects (by running and yoga) for days ahead of leaving.

Great story and information suryadaya. Thank you for sharing!

Suryadaya – thanks for that info! I just don’t know if i can cut fruit out of my diet. I can try for a few weeks and see how it goes, but no promises :) I love my fruit!!! I have a humidifier and i don’t put my face in hot water (my dermatologist told me the same thing). I’m been using the Horsechestnut straight and putting it on my skin but i don’t see any difference at all. I’m ruled out any type of laser treatment for it – mainly because i hear the veins come back anyway. I’m still trying to lose weight and i wonder if they’ll diminish once i’m back down to my normal weight? Just a thought :) I also have allergies and sinus problems, so that’s good to know!!! Thank you!!!

Well, I'm here, months later... and, the problems are worse! I don't want to use a non-raw item for my face, but i feel like I almost have to if I want the redness to go away. My latest problem is sun spots. I use sunscreen every single day (the one from live-live). I just don't understand why my skin is so sensitive. So, now, i have sunspots (and, dark ones!), redness from the rosacea, broken cappilaries and the red spots from previous breakouts - i never even popped them, they just leave red marks behind! This is so frustrating for me. Has anyone used anything that has helped??? Earthly Organics posted a link above and I might try it out... some input would be great :) Thanks!!!

anything?

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Are you eating anything with gluten in it? My rosacea went away 3 days after giving up gluten (that includes beer).

p.s. The idea of cutting fruit out of your diet sounds pretty outrageous and dumb to me. I think a high fruit low fat diet is the best for health.

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

hey carrie..i'm also a carrie :) and i also have rosacea. if you do find something that helps let me know.. gosh, i'm not sure i could do all the things i'd have to give up to have a non red face. I love hot showers, coffee, and fruit! My rosacea is definitely as bad as when I started this diet. I wonder if a water fast would help anything? I imagine it would be hard as hell to accomplish thou. I read somewhere that wild chysantheum tea can help after several months, you can buy some from ktbotanticals.com but alas that's just some random web studies I've seen. I've been meaning to try it but i'm a poor girl, so even the $20 is hard to come by nowadays. I feel for you. it seems like us rosacea folk are still trying to pinpoint the 'holistic' cure. best of luck, to both of us!

• Hi I also have a little Rosacea on my cheeks. Also Eczema. I do not know how your diet is, but I did a juice fast for few days and my eczema was gone. This is before I went 100% raw. I guess with me it seemed I just needed that nutrients and rehydration. Now that I have been raw for a while my cheeks are SLOWLY looking better. Maybe it just takes time?

• I just saw an alternative doctor about rosacea today. There are 2 things that seem to cause this problem: 1) the body's digestion is not functioning properly and 2) the body needs EFAs (essential fatty acids).

Remedy: absorbaid--to help with digestion AND liquid EFAs.

I'm hoping this will help the both of us.

Good luck.

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

did the doc explain what's happening with the digestion? hmm.. I would think that i am getting enough EFA's in that I eat plenty of nuts, seeds, olive oil and avocados. any additional info i would love to hear just to have a better idea to know what's going on with this...Thanks in advance!

• I bought an online book. The author stated he researched medical journals and found that people who suffer from rosacea don't produce enough lysine. He listed many things to do and I have been taking lysine and zinc daily and my skin has improved. I still have redness, but I used to have acne and the red marks you describe that don't go away. I have had a couple acne spots pop up, but they go away now instead of lingering for months. You have to stay dedicated and it takes a couple months to notice real improvement, but it has worked for me.

I am going to refer back to the book to see what else was recommended. Lysine was the big one and I remember he also said cabbage juice worked well. Good luck and if you figure anything out keep posting.