Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Energy saving tip

CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

This has nothing to do with being raw, but since many of us seem environmentally conscious, I thought I’d type in a great way to save energy. Nothing new or revolutionary: use the sun to dry your laundry. I makes no sense at all to use dryers in summertime. It’s irresponsible. I’ve lived most of my life in the States, where it just seemed a given – everyone uses dryers. Only my Puerto Rican grandparents (true farmers that they were) line dried. Here in Europe everyone line dries and I know very few people who even own driers. Even in wintertime! It takes a little getting used to – you need a little patience for things to dry. Maybe a day give or take. I have a portable drying rack that I put on my balcony in summertime and leave indoors near the heater in winter. Give it a try. The environment and your wallet will thank you!

Comments

• I love line dried clothes … and years ago when I lived in a place that I could dry things outside, I did just that! I remember lines and lines of bright white diapers, sheets, towels blowing in the breeze—they smelled so wonderful when I brought them in … nice. Now I live in a suburb environment and I have to use a dryer because one cannot put lines up in the yard (subdivision rules and such).

We rarely turn on the a/c tho … only when the temp gets into the 90’s for days on end and the humidity is high (those who live in St. Louis know what I mean). Even then, the a/c is set quite high so as to not come on a great deal, If the temp falls to a reasonable level at night (low 70’s) we’ll open the windows and let the night breezes in—so much better!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie
  • BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Also try turning off your fridge!!! Everyone thinks I’m crazy, but I haven’t used my fridge since January, and it’s amazing. No humming noise in my apartment at night, significantly lower electricity bills, and it keeps my life (and wallet) pleasantly simple by not buying anything that I won’t eat within the next couple of days.

And OH YA! Not using a/c is sooooo good. After living in Thailand, I become accustomed to the old patlom, and feeling blown fresh air on my face is actually so much more satisfying than A/C.

AND WHOA! RAWLADY! I’m in St. Louis!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t know any other raw foodists in STL, this makes me really happy :)

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I was just discussing this with a friend in Canada whose daughter in law is so happy because her neighborhood just dropped their ban on clotheslines. I bought an old fashioned wooden drying rack at a yard sale that I use indoors and it’s so big it holds almost a whole load of wash.

I’m also a big proponent of unplugging appliances and TURNING OFF THE LIGHTS!!

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Thanks for starting this thread, Carmenita. There is so much food for thought in it. Great stuff.

• hi! i’m new here and i love your posts carmentina! i’m moving to n.corolina soon and am looking forward to the bit of space which will afford line drying for me…...my mom was a line drier and there is nothing to compare with the smell of things that have been out in the sun and air and wind all day….just lovely.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Thank you heartbrooklyn! The best part of GoneRaw is how positive and supportive it is. A real community!