raw cacao

So I got some raw cacao beans and OH MY! those things are bitter straight out of the bag. Anyone have suggestions for something to do with them? :)

Methinks I will not be buying them again, but they were expensive so I wanna use em up somehow.

Comments

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Whack them in a coffee grinder, (peel if not pre-peeled) add them to your fav nut milk with some agave, have warmed (slightly, obviously) or cold! Yummy! Alternately, whizz them up with some frozen bananas, fresh mint or peppermint essential oil and agave for a mint chic chip ice cream. I’m in love with raw cacao at the mo, have been making truffles, choc bars and all sorts.. When I get the recipes right I’ll post them (am enjoying the experimental stage alot too though!). Enjoy :-)

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I only eat the whole beans if I’m traveling – I use the powder in smoothies typically. I dip the beans in raw honey and that helps A LOT. I’ve also tucked them into dates if I’m traveling and need a boost.

• Where do you find raw cacao beans. I can’t find them anywhere!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

You might have to order them from somewhere like www.sunfoods.com or any other raw food website. My health food store now carries them in all forms.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I just had a whole class I taught on using Raw chocolate :)

For the nibs, I add them to crusts, cookies, and trail mix (make sure the trail mix has something sweet in it like raisins or goji berries to help offset the bitterness). I love the crunchy texture they add to raw ice cream or mousse so it’s like a chocolate chip :)

Cheers,

Kristen Suzanne