Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

fermented foods?!?

BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

So I have been hearing/reading a lot about the positive benefits from people eating a high amount of fermented foods, and of course about the people who cured cancer by eating ONLY fermented foods for over a year, etc etc. I am interested in trying this for a long a weekend or something just to see how it affects (Effects? I always mix them up…!) my body. But what about all that salt from homemade kimchee and such? I fear I would bloat up like a blimp! I’d love some insight/advice/personal acounts…

Comments

• I’ve never heard of people eating only fermented foods before, it’d be an interesting experiment for sure. Well last summer I ate about 8-16 oz of raw kim chi and /or raw sourkraut everyday for a few weeks and didn’t get bloated from it, it really hit the spot for me and I noticed that my digestion was amazing too. Since you’re unsure about how you’d feel eating a lot of it then maybe experiment with eating majority fermented foods but not all for a couple of days.You can always make your own and keep the salt really low.If you do it keep me posted! I’m curious! have fun.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

You can get raw sauerkraut (Rejuvenative brand) with no salt.

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

yeah i lived in south korea for two years and would always hear about how kimchi could cure anything. i grew to love it and ate it breakfast, lunch and dinner. i love sauerkraut too. i don’t use them much anymore, but have only heard good about them (other than sodium intake).

here is another opinion that is worth considering as it makes sense to why fermented foods “help” with digestion:

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/fermented-foods/

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I don’t find that the salt from fermented food like sauerkraut makes me bloated at all . . . but if you’re really worried, try rinsing it first. the veggies themselves should still contain beneficial bacteria, but you’ll be washing away most of the salt.

Also, you can make nut and seed cheeses and yogurts without salt; not to mention kombucha. If you’re really persistent and clean, you could even ferment veggies without salt: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1985-0…

If you try a mini fermented-food-only fast, let us know how it goes! (and you did use “affect” correctly)

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I love kimchi and sauerkraut. And, I love the Rejuvenative brand – I usually opt for the no salt jar. I have some in the refrigerator that I’m going to go gobble up right now. Thanks for the reminder :)

Cheers, Kristen Suzanne

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

the GT’s bottle of kombucha claims he cured his mom’s cancer. wow.